reference letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
I am applying for 2008 entry, and I'm not too sure what to do about recommendation letters. Should I ask for them now? My school doesn't have a pre-med committee, so do professors send the letters to the schools directly? If so, what are the deadlines?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
I am applying for 2008 entry, and I'm not too sure what to do about recommendation letters. Should I ask for them now? My school doesn't have a pre-med committee, so do professors send the letters to the schools directly? If so, what are the deadlines?

OK so there are at least two other threads devoted to LORs just on preallo's first page, so I recommend using the search function. Also, even if your school doesn't have a committee per se, there's more than likely someone with a title like "preprofessional advisor" or something that handles centralizing LORs, transcripts, etc., so seek out this person and let them advise you with school-specific info. Also there's good info on deadlines and such to be had in the MSAR; go buy it now because March of junior year is a little late to know as little as you seem to about the app process. Anyway, you ask for letters as soon as possible. You don't want to get stuck waiting on some lazy prof until the middle of October.

as Tic said, ask for letters as SOON as possible!! March isn't at all early to be asking around for them. if you wait until the last minute (ie come summer time), many profs might be away, or the procrastination bug might bite one of your recommenders and affect when you're complete at many schools (which then affects when you get interviews). i guess what i'm saying is recommenders who fail to have your letters in on time might affect your chance as an applicant. a good amount people on this board this cycle have "missed out" at a good shot at medschools because of this. :luck: