Regarding classmate courtship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Craig_Sherwood234

Summa Cum Laude Recipient
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, how has everyone been faring their first semester of D school thus far?

There's a female that sits near me in preclin and I would like to make a move but I am afraid of the possible repercussions that may follow me for the rest of my years if she says "No."

Suggestions, and how is everyone doing regarding the dating scene? I find that dating is a must in order to maintain one's sanity

-Craig_sherwood234

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmmm. I would stick with dating apps. The fact that you quote yourself in your profile, allude to your GPA 4 times, and call her a "female" in the context of "courtship" doesn't convince me that you'd be the best at "making a move" and may end up alienating a future colleague.

But you're asking me to give you advice about a personal relationship question solely based on your post. So you could prove me wrong and just give it a go. A simple "no" has pretty minimal implications.

Reactions: 16 users
Mmmm. I would stick with dating apps. The fact that you quote yourself in your profile, allude to your GPA 4 times, and call her a "female" in the context of "courtship" doesn't convince me that you'd be the best at "making a move" and may end up alienating a future colleague.

But you're asking me to give you advice about a personal relationship question solely based on your post. So you could prove me wrong and just give it a go. A simple "no" has pretty minimal implications.

You would stick with the dating apps in your own judgement of yourself?

That's great to know. You should try to convince yourself that you can do it! I believe in you, buddy!

If I were in a place where I would trust the advice of strangers on an inane question that is completely situation and personality dependent... I would indeed stick with dating apps.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
There were 3 couples that met and got married that were in my graduating class. There were also a few different ones that were married going in, divorced by graduation. I say get to know her and go for it. Live with no regrets.

Study date or go out for lunch and try to develop a friendship first.... that would be better than asking this "female" out it seems..

Last edited:
First and foremost, how has everyone been faring their first semester of D school thus far?

AADSAS calculated GPA: 3.9 | class of 2021

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” -Genghis Khan "My acceptance to dental school would've been infinitely more exciting had I had a lower GPA. In other words, a high GPA is boring." -Me
Craig_Sherwood234, Friday at 8:24 PM
Report Post to Moderator

-Craig_sherwood234

hahahahahahahhaha

hahahahahhahahahah

hahahahhahahahahah

quotes genghis khan. afraid to ask a girl out.

is this a troll?

Reactions: 6 users
hahahahahahahhaha

hahahahahhahahahah

hahahahhahahahahah

quotes genghis khan. afraid to ask a girl out.

is this a troll?
Not sure what you mean.

Genghis was a decent guy. I'm sure he shopped around for opinions before he impregnated enough women to leave his genes in ~10% of the current population of Asia.

I wouldn't ask her out.
Have a group of friends for a social life, and focus on school. There are lots of scenarios that can play out:
She says no - awkward and weird.
She says no to you, but starts seeing someone else - awkward and weird X2
She says yes and the date goes horrible - awkward and uncomfortable.
She says yes and you start seeing each other - awesome
-you break up - awkward and uncomfortable
-you break up and she starts dating another classmate - super super super bad awkward and uncomfortable.
-you get married and live happily ever after - awesome (but unlikely)

Dating is not required to maintain sanity in dental school. Juggling a relationship on top of school will be tough (not impossible, but tough). All relationships have drama and dental school is stressful enough as it is. I'm aware that plenty of people have successful relationships during those 4 years, I just personally would not advise it. If you absolutely must date, I advise you to try to do so with someone you will not be stuck in a building with for the next 4 years in the event things don't work out.

There was one girl I would have wondered about once I graduated. Had a few hang outs and turns out she was a bit off, but it was better than the alternative(wondering what if). A little uncomfortable sometimes bumping into her, but gotta play to win. Two years and the interest was still there so I had to do something.

Just a matter of how important it is for you. One other girl I should have avoided entirely. Wasn't that serious of an interest but thought why not, never know what can grow and thought we could at least be decent to each other if things didint work out. We're professionals right? Now I wouldn't trust her with a paper fork behind me. What a loon and if only everyone else knew the cold, unforgiving dark abyss that awaits inside her. She still gives me the shakes.

Last edited:
My comment above is a bit rude, apologies. But dude, you gotta change that profile....

To address the the OP question, I agree with scmhoob above. I would not pursue it. Date outside your class. Companies don't recommend not dating coworkers because they want to get into into their employees personal lives. They recommend it because they don't want their employees personal lives getting into everyone else's business. Which is really ****ing annoying to bear witness to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentists are crazy. I wouldn't date one, ever. Although they make great friends, personality types of dentists... just tend to be on the spectrum of being anal all the way to bat**** crazy.

Reactions: 3 users
Intra class dating is representative of an individual unable to reach further past their comfort zone in order to find a mate. Complacency manifests itself through the proximity. There are more options out there. You don't party in a library. You dont study at a party. You dont drink at a gym. You dont workout at a bar.

You dont date where you work.

Those that violate these rules will only become harmonious under rare conditions.

Intra class dating is representative of an individual unable to reach further past their comfort zone in order to find a mate. Complacency manifests itself through the proximity. There are more options out there. You don't party in a library. You dont study at a party. You dont drink at a gym. You dont workout at a bar.

You dont date where you work.

Those that violate these rules will only become harmonious under rare conditions.

Thats a bit far reaching. You end up closer to your classmates than with your own family at some point. Work is work but this particular environment is a struggle and a camaraderie forms among classmates. Endless nights in gross lab, endless nights in pre-clinic lab. Its only natural for feelings to grow at some point. Most people who came into school with a relationship in my class, ended up breaking up with their significant other and are now with a classmate.

It might not have worked for me, but I would have still pursued the first girl I mentioned. As long as you go in with respect and without ill intentions, I don't see what the problem is. Don't except the same respect to be given to you, but thats just something you need to weigh.

There's a female that sits near me in preclin and I would like to make a move but I am afraid of the possible repercussions that may follow me for the rest of my years if she says "No."

Suggestions, and how is everyone doing regarding the dating scene? I find that dating is a must in order to maintain one's sanity

-Craig_sherwood234

@Craig_Sherwood234 son, there is a saying. do not defecate where you eat. i will tell you straight up that i did not listen to this, and it ended badly. if you're not looking for anything serious though, eh. maybe you can swing it?

with that said i know of one couple that got married from dental school so....yeah. just be smart about it

I just see "female" dental students crying over this thread seeing all the scaredy cats of their future class

Reactions: 1 users
Go for it. Not exactly dental students, but I drunk banged a fellow dental assistant. We both acted like nothing happened the next day and all is good.

Dont s**t where you eat.