Regarding Criminal Background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jahrizzone

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there are plenty of threads about a criminal background on the pre med threads. But I wanted to get some feedback from those of you that actually have a "Background", had to furnish this information on your application to medical school, and still got admitted. I would like to know if there is anyone out there that actually was able to get into med school despite a criminal history.

I know everyones situation arent the same, but I guess this would give me some reassurement into proceeding into med school, as I have 1 misdemeanor for resisting arrest. Im not asking about your thoughts on my circumstances, just if there were a few med students out there that have somewhat of a similar situation with a criminal background and managed to get accepted. How did you succeed? Was there additional steps that had to be taken etc. Again, your feedback is deeply appreciated. THANKS!
 
it depends on the state and school. You have to call and ask. Also, I don't think anyone on SDN has a criminal record, as they are perfect students with 250 step 1 and 2 scores, over 75% Honors, etc.
 
lol. Well I am also an honors student at my University here in new york, that is why I am now considering a career in medicine, not only because I love the sciences, but because my parents were actually in the medical field. I dont think having good grades is directly correlated to past criminal activity, anyone who believes that is prejudice. I have no doubt that students here are by any means sub par to the academic and moral standard, but I also know that no one is "Perfect". I apologize that I may have offended people in some way, I just want to know if anyone ever had a similar situation , you can even just send me a message, because I just dont want to waste my time chasing a dream if its not possible. I believe that sdn is a great place to talk about anything, and that the reason that there are threads here is because your fellow pre health and health students need assistance, and count on everyone in the community to get envolved. I will be doing my own research and calling the boards, but I would also feel reassured knowing if there were students on the forum that had a somewhat similar scenario. I know you guys are worried about bigger things, but that would be great if I had some real feedback, thanks.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol. Well I am also an honors student at my University here in new york, that is why I am now considering a career in medicine, not only because I love the sciences, but because my parents were actually in the medical field. I dont think having good grades is directly correlated to past criminal activity, anyone who believes that is prejudice. I have no doubt that students here are by any means sub par to the academic and moral standard, but I also know that no one is "Perfect". I apologize that I may have offended people in some way, I just want to know if anyone ever had a similar situation , you can even just send me a message, because I just dont want to waste my time chasing a dream if its not possible. I believe that sdn is a great place to talk about anything, and that the reason that there are threads here is because your fellow pre health and health students need assistance, and count on everyone in the community to get envolved. I will be doing my own research and calling the boards, but I would also feel reassured knowing if there were students on the forum that had a somewhat similar scenario. I know you guys are worried about bigger things, but that would be great if I had some real feedback, thanks.


what kind of crime did you committ? If you are able to get a medical license witht hat crime I dont think it will be a problem to get into medical school. If your crime is a crime of moral turpitude then i think they want further documentation. If you have murder 1 on your record I think you will have a tough time. If its POT related.. grey area. enlighten us!
 
An illegal drug usage is a big deal. Look what happened to Anna Nicole Smith's husband or boyfriend or whatever
 
I resisted arrest a Lo0o0ong time ago in another state on the west coast on the 4th of July, go figure.
 
You should be fine if it's only a misdemeanor.

From what I am aware, they are not concerned with misdemeanors as long as they do not involve violence, theft or drugs. And even then...
 
What were the convictions? This means everything. There are a lot of crimes that will make it absolutely impossible to be accepted/licensed as an MD. Better to find out now than to waste years of time and thousands of dollars on an impossible dream.

Steps you should take to improve your chances are:
1. Work on getting the records expunged (erased). A lawyer in the state can help you with this.
2. Do something to show you have matured, learned your lesson. For example, if you got a DUI, start a local chapter of MADD.
3. Be completely honest on your applications. Explain in writing and on interviews what happened and what you learned.
4. DO NOT GET IN TROUBLE AGAIN. The more distance between you and the charges, the better.
 
What were the convictions? This means everything. There are a lot of crimes that will make it absolutely impossible to be accepted/licensed as an MD. Better to find out now than to waste years of time and thousands of dollars on an impossible dream.

Steps you should take to improve your chances are:
1. Work on getting the records expunged (erased). A lawyer in the state can help you with this.
2. Do something to show you have matured, learned your lesson. For example, if you got a DUI, start a local chapter of MADD.
3. Be completely honest on your applications. Explain in writing and on interviews what happened and what you learned.
4. DO NOT GET IN TROUBLE AGAIN. The more distance between you and the charges, the better.


I stated that I had ONE misdemeanor of RESISTING ARREST 😀, and I was arrested and put to jail twice for not paying speeding tickets, that is all. This all happened in 2001, I havent done anything since except pay off all my traffic tickets(4). Now my school records clearly speaks for itself that I am a model citizen now, and its been 8 years since I have done anything wrong.
 
I stated that I had ONE misdemeanor of RESISTING ARREST 😀, and I was arrested and put to jail twice for not paying speeding tickets, that is all. This all happened in 2001, I havent done anything since except pay off all my traffic tickets(4). Now my school records clearly speaks for itself that I am a model citizen now, and its been 8 years since I have done anything wrong.

Pretty smart, fighting with dude that have guns, tasers, mace, nightsticks, and the ability to arrest you. However if it was 8 years ago and you have done nothing wrong since I don't believe you will have a problem.
 
Just admit to making a mistake that was your fault (don't say, "they were wrong, I was right, I shouldn't have even been arrested, plus I was just a kid, and I had a headache that day, and..." even if it's true), and emphasize the amount of time that has taken place and how you've grown as a person since then. You can turn in a negative into a positive by impressing them with your maturity and wisdom.
 
Your golden bro, keep your nose clean and your incident can clearly be mitigated by time. How old were you? I imagine you were a teenager and made an immature mistake that was chalked up as a life lesson witch you have since matured from.
 
Pretty smart, fighting with dude that have guns, tasers, mace, nightsticks, and the ability to arrest you. However if it was 8 years ago and you have done nothing wrong since I don't believe you will have a problem.

Thats what happens when your drunk on the fourth of july LOL. Yea it was pretty stupid 😡
 
Your golden bro, keep your nose clean and your incident can clearly be mitigated by time. How old were you? I imagine you were a teenager and made an immature mistake that was chalked up as a life lesson witch you have since matured from.

I was 18 at the time 😀