Regarding Preceptorships and the upcoming CASPR application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1071012

I have a concern about preceptorships and residency. I'm not a resident yet. I didn't match in 2020 since I did not pass the written portion of part 2 boards (71% instead of the 75% pass score). I have not yet started a preceptorship program however would like to do one and interview this January 2021. Is a preceptorship really required? Can't I just retake my boards and pass them and that be enough? Also, is it too late to start a preceptorship for this upcoming cycle? I don't really know how this stuff works since there's so much info floating around

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preceptorship may or may not be required but it will keep your clinical skills sharp and make you attractive to residency program directors when they ask what you have been doing in the "gap year". Another benefit of doing a Preceptorship is that you will get a recommendation letter which will help boost your application. Furthermore, the DPM that you do the Preceptorship under may have colleagues that her affiliated with residency programs that can recommend you. There are countless reasons to do a Preceptorship.

Obviously you know you have to pass the boards so I won't go into any much details with that.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean in that situation I would do it, what is it going to hurt? Your degree is essentially worthless without a residency, do whatever it takes to get one.

On a side note: why are schools even graduating people that don't pass the basic licensing exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note: why are schools even graduating people that don't pass the basic licensing exams?

That was once a good question for the Ohio/Kent State Dean. They had the largest number of “graduates” who were ineligible for the match because they hadn’t passed part I or II. Yes, they had 2 or 3, 4th year students who had not passed part I but continued to get passed along each year. This was back when I was in school which was the beginning of NYCPM cleaning up their act and getting tougher on dropping failing students as opposed to stringing them along. OCPM and Temple were the worst offenders at the time. The excuse was always that the APMLE wasn’t a graduation requirement as it wasn’t created/administered by the school. It’s an awful excuse.

Is there a study guide/document anyone has that they would be willing to share that would help in passing the APMLE part 2 written exam?

Just really want to pass this exam. I've been doing my best

Also, people have been saying that they have been using the same exact stuff for APMLE part 2 and APMLE part 3. Can anyone confirm this information? Just trying to get multiple people's opinion on the matter

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a study guide/document anyone has that they would be willing to share that would help in passing the APMLE part 2 written exam?

Also, people have been saying that they have been using the same exact stuff for APMLE part 2 and APMLE part 3. Can anyone confirm this information? Just trying to get multiple people's opinion on the matter

I edited your email out to keep your info anonymous ( in case that was your actual email); if anyone has info on Part 2 then send a private message to this user. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

I confirm. Part 3 is a joke, it is terribly written.