regarding resolved incomplete grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all, ,

as I had several incomplete grades over the course of my academic career, I resolved these incompletes with A's.

I read in the AMCAS manual, however, that I should still list these courses as incompletes but the grade ( A) will be computed into my AMCAS gpa.

my question is how do medical schools views these incompletes that were resolved? I opted for these incompletes due to medical issues that arose in the middle of the semester with the professors mentioning that an incomplete would be given. would my competitiveness be reduced??

your help would be appreciated. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would really appreciate and be grateful for advice on how amcas views resolved incomplete grades and how medical schools view this

When you enter the course type for a class that is either currently incomplete or was previously incomplete, you check the box for incomplete and you enter the current grade for the class, be it an "I", "A" or whatever. For purposes of GPA calculation, an "I" has no weight, but an "A" or any other normal grade will be calculated as normal.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I have several incompletes scattered through my undergrad and postbac ( all resolved with A's).

Do you think this will hurt my app in any way? I primarily was given incompletes due to minor issues ( such as not completing study requirements or a missed exam due to illness).

Members don't see this ad :)
The definitive answer is : it doesnt matter. Stop speculating on something that is unknowable especially from something that is unchangeable

Thank you for your response!

My final question is that I have a long transcript history ( 10years). As horrible as this sounds, I do not specifically remember which courses I took incompletes in early in my college career. I do remember the recent ones though .

How can I go about this. There is no record of these changes on my transcript as well.

Also, one of my incompletes lapsed to a FIN because of an administrative delay ( I completed the requirements before it lapsed). Do I still list this course as an inc resolved to my final grade (Which ended up being an A)?

Thank you for your response! As far as I know, my registrar doesn't keep track of these changes which is why I'm concerned. I don't want to come off as disingenuous.

Thank you for your clarification on the FIN grade as well. I was especially concerned because the FIN wasn't my fault and there is no record of the FIN on my transcript ( just my final grade of A).

Update:

I just contacted several medical schools and was informed that the committee on admissions focuses on the calculated gpas from amcas in addition to the official transcripts.

I contacted AMCAS as well and they said this:

"If the courses are no longer listed as 'incomplete' on your school's official transcript, you are not required to enter the 'incomplete' designation on the AMCAS application. This special course type option is only for courses that are still marked as incomplete by your institution (i.e., no grade listed on the transcript)"

As my transcripts have no indication of the Incompletes (just the resolved grade) is it safe to say that those temporary Incompletes will not be considered by adcoms but rather the resolved grades?

the one thing I can strongly say is that AMCAS really needs to update their manual!