Regarding Sending MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful-student

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2014
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Hey guys. I've got a question regarding my MCAT and sending out scores. I have just taken the MCAT on the 24th of April and am hoping for the best, but I was just wondering if lets say I get a low score (which would be around a 23) should I send in my Primary on the first of June with that MCAT score or wait until I get my updated MCAT score which would be around August (I would be taking the second MCAT around July 12)?

Also would I get denied from certain schools with the first MCAT even if I have pending scores?

I know that this question may have been asked before, but I just couldn't find an answer for this specific situation. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.
 

WesternRedCedar

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2013
Messages
568
Reaction score
185
If you did get a low score, wait until you had a better score to submit to most schools. You wouldn't want to be rejected flat out, or put into a different "pile"
 

hopeful-student

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2014
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Ok. I know that this is a subjective topic, but do you think taking the MCAT on July 12 and getting scores back in August is late in the application cycle?
 
Members don't see this ad :)

WesternRedCedar

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2013
Messages
568
Reaction score
185
Not at all, infact, if you do get a 23 from your April test, you should take the proper time to prepare and not rush it. Getting a low score again would be even worse.

The DO cycle is long, if you need to take the MCAT in August, even that isn't too late.
 

hopeful-student

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2014
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Good to hear. I'm really hoping for something close to 30, but life always throws those curve balls and I'm trying to be prepped for that worst case scenario.
 

Amonobanji

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Messages
26
Reaction score
15
I'm in the same situation but already got a 23 score (first time), so should or should i not "pick" schools and "click" submit before i know my score for april 24th (second time). I don't want to start another topic, but i thought i saw the website say that application open May 1st.. but I'm reading around SDN and posters say June, can some one clarify?
 

polylux

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2014
Messages
555
Reaction score
331
The application opens for you to start filling it in and everything on May 1. However, you cannot click "submit" for it to get verified or submitted to schools until June 1. So consider all of May as prep time for you to fill in your app, then you hit send in June.
 

Amonobanji

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Messages
26
Reaction score
15
The application opens for you to start filling it in and everything on May 1. However, you cannot click "submit" for it to get verified or submitted to schools until June 1. So consider all of May as prep time for you to fill in your app, then you hit send in June.
thanks!!!
 

Amonobanji

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Messages
26
Reaction score
15
Yes, if they have a completed application, with an MCAT score, even if another pending, they can review and reject.

If you are planning to possibly take a second late summer "rush" MCAT, , my strong suggestion is continue prepping immediately after the April MCAT. The biggest hurdle for students is a retake is the psychological factor of getting a low score and having to then restart the prep

I dont typically recommend to students to take the second "rushed" summer MCAT as many students do so "unplanned" while having other summer activities. For those students that often leads to a second poor score. If that happens it puts all that weight on a possible third MCAT. A rule of thumb I have heard from admissions staff is by the 3rd MCAT is the informal cut off. If you cant do it by then...

But you have been informed so you will do better
from which admissions staff (school) did you hear it from?
 

Amonobanji

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Messages
26
Reaction score
15
thanks! hm... I'm applying to D.O. only, not sure if they see things differently.
 

hopeful-student

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2014
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Also I'm applying DO. And I'm gonna
Indicate on my primary that I'm
Retaking. Would that be sufficient?
 

hallowmann

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2012
Messages
6,825
Reaction score
8,806
Submit your app to one school on June 1st regardless. Submit it to somewhere you wouldn't be crushed if you were rejected from and if possible has a history of putting people with pending MCATs "on hold".

Regardless of your score, you don't want to submit for the first time in the middle of August, not get verified, and in turn not get your app sent to schools, until mid-Sept, and not be complete at schools until Oct, especially if you are a borderline applicant.

If after the retake score comes back (mid-Aug), you did well and want to apply to the rest of the schools, it would take a week (i.e. mid-late Aug) for the other schools to get your updated verified app. Send the new MCAT results to AACOMAS, then submit your app to the remaining schools.

Also, you should know it may cost an additional ~$15 to do it this way, but its well worth it for most people to have their app in a month earlier.

Also I'm applying DO. And I'm gonna indicate on my primary that I'm retaking. Would that be sufficient?

You should be fine, just be sure to indicate in the appropriate section that you have a pending MCAT from such and such date.
 
Last edited:
Top