Regional Clerkship vs Rotational Clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emlopez2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've heard varying opinions about which is better. My school offers us the option of of doing our 3rd year rotations all at 1 hospital or rotatiing at several. Alot of people say the regional option is better because you get to know the hospital staff allowing for a good experience. On the other hand is it better to rotate through several hospitals to get a variable experience? Does anyone know if doing a regional is looked down on when applying to residencies or does it not really matter how many places you've rotated at?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will affect your residency options but someone else might know. Doing some rotations away from your home hospital can be good. At our university hospital things are very rigid and students are basically glorified secretaries. It's all one big rounding-fest. On away rotations I typically got more responsibilities and I got taught how to do things, and not so much theory as at home. Plus on away rotations there's less people. At home I had the 4th years to compete with. Still, both choices have their high points but I think you'd be limiting yourself by not seeing what else is out there.