Regional Differences in Respect for Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Keeping up with the theme of "respect for psychiatry" I wanted to pose a question that I've always wondered about. Do people think they can make geographical generalizations when it comes to respect for psychiatry?

I used to live in the Northeast, where I feel psychiatry was pretty well respected.

Now I live in the South and I feel that there's much less respect for psychiatry than I had previously realized. Of course, that might also be that the majority of my exposure to the medical world has been in the South and the geography is just a confounder.

Do people think psychiatry is most accepted in the Northeast and less so other places? Urban >> Rural?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it differs per the geographical region.

The public's perception on psychiatry varies per culture. The culture of the country highly varies depending where you are.

I would agree with you that the Northeast may have a more friendly attitude. There is a more densely concentrated population in most of the northeast, especially in the NY/NJ/CT/DE area. Those areas also tend to have higher levels of education per capita from my understanding.

I've never lived in the South. I'm living in northern KY now, which to many really isn't the South. Yeah, I know envision the Colonol and his secret spices may make you think deep south, but hey, remember this state was Union during the Civil War. I hear when you get to central & southern KY, that's where the real South begins.

I wouldn't also exactly know what the attitudes are now. Since I'm in a psychiatric hospital, where all the patients are psychiatric, my observation may not be accurate enough to gauge the cultural perception of Psychiatry. My neighbors know I'm a psychiatrist working in a forensic facility, and have something of an opinion that I'm a CSI/Columbo like detective which I'm not.

Members don't see this ad :)
That just reminds me too much of The Office, but I don't know who'd that'd make me? Jim or Dwight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znAzMkn5Ey0

Sorry--getting back to the OT...

I'd think Psychiatry would be culturally less accepted in rural areas. Remember, incidence of psychiatric disorders that are on the more extreme such as schizophrenia are a small portion of the population. With a lower population that is more spread out, people aren't going to see it as much. Compare that to NYC where you see a schizophrenic person at least on a weekly to monthly basis even if you don't work in mental health (assuming you are using the subways to go to work and walk from the subway to work). When you see it more often and its in your face, you're more likely to want to have psychiatrists in the area to deal with it.

But in terms of working in the field, I'd suspect you'd be in much more need in the rural areas. So in terms of professional respect, you might get more in the rural areas.

I remember the APA newspaper (or some other psychiatric paper) mentioning the cultural acceptance of psychiatry and how its up in the last few years. I'm wondering if their study included regional differences.

Last edited:
I don't know that I have enough experience, yet, to answer this question accurately. But based on the experience that I have, I don't see a whole lot of regional difference in respect for psychiatry.

What I have noticed is that those with personal (including family and friends) experience with psychiatry tend to have more respect for psychiatry, especially if psychiatry has been helpful. Also, immigrants (particularly Asian) tend to be less accepting of psychiatry. Though this can turn around if these patients need treatment and an alliance is formed.

The other patterns elude me. I've treated all kinds of physicians, scientists, attorneys, businessmen, politicians, artists, mothers, stay-at-home dads, disabled individuals, clergy, janitors, veterans, car mechanics, dry-cleaner owners, waitresses, teachers, secretaries, cooks, roofers, cashiers.... It's sort of all over the map. Which may explain why there aren't too many overt regional differences. ??