Regional interviews-good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently scheduled my regional interview with a Duke alumnus. Does anyone know if there are any advantages/disadvantages to this? They say on their website that regional interviewers have the same or slightly greater chance of acceptance... Are they kidding? Anyway with any firsthand knowledge of this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about Duke firsthand, but I know most schools don't even give regional interviews because they really feel that not only are they looking at you, but you should really be scrutinizing them. I personally want to see all of the schools before I would make a decision of whether or not to attend. So, even if it does not make any difference in admission, I still want to go to the school, explore and see what it is really like. Time after time I have gone to a school with one impression and left with a completely different one.
If it is a matter of money, then it is another story and I can definitely see why regional is better in that regard- luckily most of my trips have been on the east coast, so it was an easy trip. Good Luck!

moo,
I'm an MSI at Duke. They would love for you to come see the school (it's gorgeous, but then I'm a little biased :D ), but they offer regionals because they know that the trip can be a strain in terms of time and finances. A few people in our class were accepted after regional interviews, so it certainly can be done. If you're accepted, try to make it to Second Look Weekend so you have a chance to see the campus and meet people - and it's a lot of fun, too. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not just a strain on finances, but classwork! How are all of you still in school going on interviews and not failing your classes?

Originally posted by none:
•Not just a strain on finances, but classwork! How are all of you still in school going on interviews and not failing your classes?•••

Exactly. I'm going to be away the first week of next semester at interviews, and I have to attend the first session of my optics lab or I get de-registered... I still need to figure a way out of that... probably talk to the prof or something.

Hiya Moo.

Congratulations on getting an interview! Hope it goes well; we could sure use some more Canadian blood around here (yes, I'm one too -- although the fact that I'm a dual citizen makes my situation a bit different from yours.)

Don't worry in the slightest about having a regional interview. I took that option myself, and was very glad I did -- arrived at the interview infinitely more relaxed and less finacially depleted that if I'd tried to get myself to Durham.

The biggest difference is that interviews at Duke consist of two separate half-hour sessions One interview is ostensibly supposed to focus on your "data" -- i.e., what you've done; the other is supposed to be about who you are, what you're like. From all reports, though, there's significant overlap. Conversely, a regional interview is one session, and it last however long it lasts (mine was a bit over an hour.) Personally, I much prefer longer interviews (the shorter ones never seem to flow very well) so I was glad it worked out this way.

Also, be aware that your regional interviewer will have been sent only the very basics of your file -- mine didn't even have my personal statement. Be prepared to answer one of those horrible "tell me about yourself" requests.

Don't worry about not having a chance to see Duke -- although you'd likely enjoy a stroll though Duke gardens in this FABULOUS 75-degree weather we're having -- the pond has some really gorgeous water lillies in it right now....As you are no doubt well aware, Interview Day is NOT the best time to get an idea of what a school is like: you're all keyed up, jetlagged, wearing a suit, your feet hurt, you've just been treated to one of those awful financial aid presentations that make you question your vocation like nothing else can -- in short, you're not yourself. This is why Duke (and many other schools) have a Second Look weekend for accepted students -- spend three days with a student, in comfortable clothes, being fed, sitting in on classes, going to parties, seeing Durham, meeting your potential future classmates -- this will give you a better impression of what it's really here, and whether it will be a good place for you.

One final bit of advice:

A few weeks after your interview, call the admissions office to make sure they have received your interview report. Just like a letter of recommendation, it can go astray. Best to be neurotic about these things.

Again, good luck! Do let me know if you have any more questions

:) :D :) :D :) :D :)

Hey omores . . . once again, some excellent advice. ;)

moo, check your personal messages. And congrats on the Duke interview!! :D
Now why didn't I apply there? :( Sounds like heaven! :D