regional match stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you interested:
Anesthesiology regional match statistics:
PGY 1 positions: 17 total unfilled spots
west all filled
central 9 open
south 5 open
northeast 3 open

pgy 2:
west 5 open
central 4 open
south 4 open
northeast 6 open
total 19 open spots

Members don't see this ad.

west all filled
central 9 open
south 5 open
northeast 3 open

pgy 2:
west 5 open
central 4 open
south 4 open
northeast 6 open
total 19 open spots

as a non-anesthesia applicant, I have no idea what the difference in PGY1 and PGY2 anesthesia spots mean...can any of you awesome people fill me in?

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!

Interesting.
How does this year compare to last year?
I did a search of old posts - here are the stats from last year's match.

PGY-1 Positions:
West: Offered 35 Unfilled 0
Central: Offered 193 Unfilled 7
South: Offered 248 Unfilled 2
Northeast: Offered 99 Unfilled 5
Total: Offered 575 Unfilled 14

Advanced:
West: Offered 177 Unfilled 4
Central: Offered 120 Unfilled 9
South: Offered 85 Unfilled 0
Northeast: Offered 381 Unfilled 25
Total: Offered 763 Unfilled 38

Members don't see this ad :)
as a non-anesthesia applicant, I have no idea what the difference in PGY1 and PGY2 anesthesia spots mean...can any of you awesome people fill me in?

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!
there are two types of positions offered: categorical and advanced

categorical positions include your intern year, so you're matching into a PGY-1 spot for all four years.

advanced positions do not include your intern year, so you match into a PGY-2 position for all three dedicated anesthesia years. the intern year is separate, so you have to apply and be accepted to a PGY-1 year not affiliated with that program's anesthesia department.

west all filled
central 9 open
south 5 open
northeast 3 open

pgy 2:
west 5 open
central 4 open
south 4 open
northeast 6 open
total 19 open spots

Wow. So few spots. Even in 06 and 07 the numbers of applicants had increased from previous years. Looks like 08 will have had the most applicants ever.

west all filled
central 9 open
south 5 open
northeast 3 open

pgy 2:
west 5 open
central 4 open
south 4 open
northeast 6 open
total 19 open spots

Did you notice that there were 666 positions offered in Anesthesiology PGY1 this year? I knew it Anesthesiology was the devils medicine.

htc_DrSatan1.jpg

doctor satan

Where are the spots? Can someone post the places that did not fill this afternoon at match time?

Cubs

i logged into the NRMP looking for a glitch that would let me see (and then post) the unfilled programs... :oops: alas, it would not let me in

First Number is Quota, Second is Filled in Match, Third is Unfilled. GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO ARE SCRAMBLING!!!!!

Anesthesiology (A programs)
This list was created on 03/18/2008 11:55:01
This list is updated every hour as programs fill their positions.

UC San Francisco-CA
Anesthesiology 1062040A0 0400521023 14 9 5
Mark Rosen
P: - -

Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL
Anesthesiology 1170040A0* 0401611046 4 3 1
Amy Murray
P: 708-216-9169
F: 708-216-1249
[email protected]

U Kansas SOM-Kansas City
Anesthesiology 1208040A0 0401911050 8 5 3
James Kindscher
P: 913-588-3304
[email protected]

U Louisville SOM-KY
Anesthesiology 1217040A0 0402021053 2 0 2
Stacy Gregory
P: 502-852-1732
F: 502-852-6056
[email protected]

Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
Anesthesiology 1242040A0 0402321058 19 15 4
Deborah Schwengel
P: 410-955-7609
F: 410-955-5607
[email protected]

NY Methodist Hospital-NY
Anesthesiology 1429040A0 0403511102 1 0 1
Joel Yarmush
P: 718-780-3000
None

Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State-PA
Anesthesiology 1617040A0* 0404111130 4 3 1
Stephen Kimatian

Medical University of SC
Anesthesiology 1680040A0 0404522143 2 0 2
Latha Hebbar
F: 843-792-9314
[email protected]

Anesthesiology (C programs)
This list was created on 03/18/2008 11:55:01
This list is updated every hour as programs fill their positions.

LSUHSC-Shreveport-LA
Anesthesiology 1232040C0 0402111056 5 4 1
Frank Zavisca
P: 318-675-5298
F: 318-675-6881
[email protected]

U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
Anesthesiology 1293040C0 0402521071 24 17 7
Theodore Sanford
P: 734-936-4280
[email protected]

U Minnesota Med School
Anesthesiology 1334040C0 0402631075 3 2 1
David Beebe
P: 612-624-9990
F: 612-626-2363
[email protected]

SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
Anesthesiology 1426040C0* 0403521110 10 8 2
Audree Bendo
[email protected]

Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY
Anesthesiology 2919040C0* 0403521170 10 9 1
Ellen Steinberg
P: 631-444-2975
F: 631-444-2907

University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH
Anesthesiology 1548040C0* 0403821118 6 5 1
John Lawrence
[email protected]

Univ of Puerto Rico
Anesthesiology 1116040C0 0404221142 3 2 1
Miguel Marrero
P: 787-758-0640
F: 787-758-1327
[email protected]

Texas Tech U Affil-Lubbock
Anesthesiology 2973040C0 0404811153 4 1 3
John Hall
P: 806-743-3004
F: 806-743-2984
[email protected]

I just stopped by the anesthesiology department at my school and we have one PGY1 spot available and the phones were ringing off the hook. I was in the office for about five minutes and I think the phone rang at least 20 times.

Good luck to all those that are scrambling!

Members don't see this ad :)
First Number is Quota, Second is Filled in Match, Third is Unfilled. GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO ARE SCRAMBLING!!!!!

Medical University of SC
Anesthesiology 1680040A0 0404522143 2 0 2
Latha Hebbar
F: 843-792-9314
[email protected]

what I don't understand is why MUSC says they have 2 total positions when they have 9. Does the 2 refer to how many positions where originally available for scramble?

what I don't understand is why MUSC says they have 2 total positions when they have 9. Does the 2 refer to how many positions where originally available for scramble?
those are the advanced positions - they have 9 categorical

when i interviewed there i recall them saying you had to go categorical, so i didn't even rank their advanced... if i end up dropping below them i'll be a little peeved :oops:

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out if the fact that Hopkins has open spots means that I didn't slip past them on my rank list (#4). But, judging from your comments, I assume that in the past they (and UCSF) have been known to not rank many interviewees?

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out if the fact that Hopkins has open spots means that I didn't slip past them on my rank list (#4). But, judging from your comments, I assume that in the past they (and UCSF) have been known to not rank many interviewees?

My impression from my rotation is that UCSF ranks many to most of its applicants, but they interview very few because they are very confident that everyone wants to go there.

My impression from people's reports on what the JHU PD has said to them (eg. if you rank it 1st you have ~80% chance of matching) is that JHU ranks most or all applicants, but consistently goes far down their list.

That's what I heard too...and I ranked UCSF #1. Guess I know that if I don't match there that they didn't rank me :(. Guess that'll make the next two days not very fun.

Someone needs to tell UCSF:

"If you rank me you have about a 10% chance of getting me, as I will likely be interviewing and ranking 9 other top respected programs"

Is it possible that UCSF and JHU kept some spots open so that people outside the match (ie General Surgery Attending sick of doing hernia repairs) can have them?

The original quota on the NRMP website for UCSF was 10(Adv) +12(Cat) so I'm not sure why now the Adv position quota states 14? Anyone have any idea?

Serves UCSF right. They think their poo doesn't stink. I didn't get the interview, appealed without success, so now this gives me a little satisfaction...:smuggrin::laugh::laugh::p

The original quota on the NRMP website for UCSF was 10(Adv) +12(Cat) so I'm not sure why now the Adv position quota states 14? Anyone have any idea?

That is confusing b/c I thought the NRMP quota was the final say for how many they will match.

I did a rotation at UCSF and I was told (not by the program director, but a recent grad from the program who is now faculty so I'm not exactly sure how accurate this is) that they only interview about 125-150 every year. For the PGY-2/CA-1, they have 25 in each class. I do know that they usually save a few spots for people outside the match so they do not release all 25 positions to the match.

Can anyone post the unfilled residency PDF file for 2008 if they have it please??

That is confusing b/c I thought the NRMP quota was the final say for how many they will match.

I did a rotation at UCSF and I was told (not by the program director, but a recent grad from the program who is now faculty so I'm not exactly sure how accurate this is) that they only interview about 125-150 every year. For the PGY-2/CA-1, they have 25 in each class. I do know that they usually save a few spots for people outside the match so they do not release all 25 positions to the match.

FREIDA says they interview 100. When I was there I heard talk (not from the PD) that it was actually even lower than that.

i'm a little surprised Michigan had so many unfilled...

I'm not. It's clear, based on the above stats and the below match violation, that Michigan has a corrupt program director.

MAIN 2006 U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor 1293040A0 Anesthesiology Statement The Anesthesiology program at the University of Michigan offered a 2006 Main Residency Match applicant a position to begin training on July 1, 2007. That applicant had matched to another program for a July 1, 2007 start date. Sanction The NRMP has identified the program as a match violator in the NRMP's Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) System until 04/11/2008.

LSU-Shreveport didn't fill? I know someone who didn't match who ranked them. That means that they didn't rank him. Poor guy, I hope he doesn't find out. He'll be even more upset.

If a program said it would rank me, I ranked them number 1, and then it was unfilled in the match, does it mean I might have matched into it?

either you matched there or they lied about ranking you...probably the former.

If a program said it would rank me, I ranked them number 1, and then it was unfilled in the match, does it mean I might have matched into it?

If they ranked you, you might have matched. It sounds like a neighborhood that I wouldn't want to be around though.

redneckmansion2cm3.jpg

either you matched there or they lied about ranking you...probably the former.

Thanks. I am going to temper my excitement until Thursday when I see it on the NRMP screen!

Btw, I was having a discussion with some classmates about why we aren't told where we are going on Monday? Is this some tradition before the computer-era? Would love to know if anyone has any insight

Btw, I was having a discussion with some classmates about why we aren't told where we are going on Monday? Is this some tradition before the computer-era? Would love to know if anyone has any insight

I think it may be because many schools have Match Ceremonies where you receive an envelope with your match results in it. Having Match Day on Thursday allows those who don't initially match a chance to Scramble and thus participate in the ceremony without being singled out in front of their class/school as having not matched. At least that's what I was told.

So did anyone on here manage to nab a spot today in the scramble? What about those needing prelim years? How did it all go?

i bet a bunch of the folks who got rejections from cincinnati the day after they submitted are
kekekegay.gif
right now

Yep, I'm one of them. Actually, I laughed when I got the rejection too.

I understand the point of a program being selective about who they rank, but isn't it worse to not fill versus going down further on your rank list? I just can't understand why some programs "choose" to arrange their rank list so that they don't fill two years in a row. Are there any opinions on why programs do this?:confused:

I understand the point of a program being selective about who they rank, but isn't it worse to not fill versus going down further on your rank list? I just can't understand why some programs "choose" to arrange their rank list so that they don't fill two years in a row. Are there any opinions on why programs do this?:confused:

UCSF has historically done well by filling empty spots with various flavors of hotshot surgical residents who see the light

these programs don't necessarily fill those open spots with just whomever in the scramble - they can hold the spots for out of the match too I think, for people who are like already quadruple board certified, etc.

Let me second Ferdie's statement. When you guys see those "empty" spots, don't think those are filled on scramble day. Anesthesia programs and especially other specialties will hold on-site interviews for those spots that can occur weeks later after Scramble day. Not all the programs but a lot. Not only that, but a lot of those spots go to residents who are switching specialties or are practicing physicians in another country looking to find a spot in the US for example. I'd be willing to be that programs like UCSF and Hopkins aren't having a problem finding qualified (possibly over-qualified) physicians for those residency spots.

I can vouch that my program always withholds 1-2 seats from the Match to fill later in the year. They like to do that because there are ALWAYS people who want to change careers and the program can take their time and pick someone good - or at least they have a little more control than they do in the Match. However, when you look at our match stats, its reads 5 positions offered and 5 filled. It does not indicate that there are actually 6 spots available each year. Only the ones placed in the Match are mentioned. So that means that there may be lots of spots available out there in different programs, just not through the Match.

By the way, good luck to everyone today! It's an incredibly exciting day. Our program is also super excited to see who we actually got - there were so many awesome applicants this year!!

Did you notice that there were 666 positions offered in Anesthesiology PGY1 this year? I knew it Anesthesiology was the devils medicine.

htc_DrSatan1.jpg

doctor satan

Is that the surgeon from Quake?

I can vouch that my program always withholds 1-2 seats from the Match to fill later in the year. They like to do that because there are ALWAYS people who want to change careers and the program can take their time and pick someone good - or at least they have a little more control than they do in the Match. However, when you look at our match stats, its reads 5 positions offered and 5 filled. It does not indicate that there are actually 6 spots available each year. Only the ones placed in the Match are mentioned. So that means that there may be lots of spots available out there in different programs, just not through the Match.

By the way, good luck to everyone today! It's an incredibly exciting day. Our program is also super excited to see who we actually got - there were so many awesome applicants this year!!

That's exactly right. All the programs that show unfilled spots had those positions available in the match and they weren't filled. They weren't held for anyone, the match algorithm doesn't work that way. They will end up being filled by very strong applicants, but it wasn't part of any plan by the departments.
Programs know they can fill open positions easily and often will get better applicants than they would have in the match, but if they had set aside positions, they wouldn't show up as unfilled.
Look at the unmatched stats. There are always a few people with really high scores and grades who go unmatched. Those people probably wouldn't have considered NY Methodist, Shreveport, etc., before, but now they are begging to go there. For example, I heard that Rush has a 220 cut off in the scramble, and I bet their regular match cutoff is lower.