Employment & Professional Networking Registered OTs... Please look into this question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTOnTheWay

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current OTs, if they are comfortable in doing so, share their salary "range" at the first place they worked at after passing the boards vs what they are making now and how many years of experience they have. It might be helpful if you can also mention what state/big city vs small city you work in?

I only ask because I am terrified of the big loans I am going to take out. I know everyone does it and everyone finds a way to pay them off, but I literally go to bed sometimes thinking maybe these 100k+ loans are too much for me to handle...

If anyone who knows OTs that have answered this question, please feel free to contribute to this post.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a few years old, but I have attached a document that I found about salaries. I would love to hear from some actual current OTs as well!

Attachments

• WebPT_OT_SalaryGuide_04.20.16_FINAL.pdf
    406.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Starting salary: $36.50/hr.
Setting: SNF

3 years later in same location/setting
Salary: $38/hr

The only reason I got a raise was because I switched companies and could negotiate a little based on my experience. Many rehab companies in the Chicago area are known for not giving yearly raises. My current company hasn't given raises in 6 years. I also work at a hospital a couple Saturdays a month to help with my loans. If you are smart, this is plenty to pay loans and enjoy life. But I would definitely recommend getting through school as cheaply and quickly as possible!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have to work at least 30 hrs/wk to maintain full-time status. I typically average 40hrs/wk but sometimes may be an hour or two under. Overtime pay is 1.5 x base pay and has to be approved, so it usually never occurs. A good question to ask when interviewing is how many hours are typically worked per week and if there are ways to maximize the hours, like filling in at another facility or doing a couple hours on the weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a few years old, but I have attached a document that I found about salaries. I would love to hear from some actual current OTs as well!
Thank you for attaching that file! Yes, I hope more OTs reply to this question.

Reactions: 1 user
Feel free to ask any OTs that you may know, and that feel comfortable doing so, in answering this question!