Regretting my ROL secondary to Prick MD

Started by PSYCHOOPS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PSYCHOOPS

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is the long story. See my next post to get to the point.

Life was good. I finished med school and completed a round of great interviews. I had even gotten confident remarks for matching at a program that I would have loved to stay and work for after residency. I was so thrilled about becoming a psychiatrist that I read the whole of 11th edition of Psychiatry Lecture Notes since graduation and excitingly awaiting for my copy of Kaplan and Sadock i purchased. Yes, I know I should be studying for step3 but this is my time off and I want to use this time reading psychiatry. I earned it. Not to sound manic, delusional, or cranked up on stimulants-which im not-but there was no way that things could have been better.

But then this happened..

A few weeks ago my dad was hospitalized. The doctor showed up on day 1 to explain why my dad was ill and what the treatment plan was. He was using words like ESR, increased blood cell count. My mother kept on asking what each thing meant. It was easy to tell that the physician was frustrated by these simple questions. The next day the same doctor came in and before he could say a word my mom told him to talk to her son who recently finished med school. He turned to me and asked what residency I was in. I shyly but proudly stated that I interviewed in psychiatry and would find out in March which program. This freeking doctor turned to my family and said exactly – Psychiatry is not a medical field so he will not understand what Im talking about any more than you will.

I’m not new to the whole “Psychiatrist are not real doctors” but it has never ever bothered me. I didn’t care. But for this doctor to say that and in front of my family was rude! I spent the next few days with a very odd feeling of shame. At least that’s the best way I can explain it. I overcame the shame by going over my notes from psych and came to an understanding that this doctor is from a different culture or was having a nugget of a day as we sometimes all do. I was happy and confident again. The night before my ROL deadline, I brought up to my family that I was excited about my ROL. My mother then asked if I was still planning to work as a psychOLOGIST or get a doctor residency. I explained the difference between the two and that psychIATRIST are doctors. They acted as they got the idea that psychiatrist are real physicians but I could tell they did not buy it. My mother ended up telling me that night - THE VERY NIGHT BEFORE ROL Deadline – about all their sacrifices they made to put me through school and then she ended with – I want you to be happy even if that means you still decide to not be a doctor.

Yesterday –ROL cert deadline- I woke up so depressed that my parents didn’t understand but I knew that one day they would come around and in a few months I would be an awesome psychiatry resident. I was still feeling very depressed though and very sick. I vomited a few time right after waking up then out of nowhere, I felt this big cloud of guilt over me. Almost like a panic attack. This never happened to me before. I kept on thinking about how my parents are in poor health and I began to think about how selfish I had been. They have sacrificed so much and worked so hard to put me through med school. How my mom was bragging about how I graduated from medical school and her son was a doctor. I kept on dosing off and each time I did- I would see her eyes filled with sadness when this prick doctor told her I wasn’t a medical doctor. One of the nightmares I had that day was of my mom’s funeral and on her coffin was an empty diploma frame. I asked why it was empty and the funeral director (who was the same stupid doctor) laughed saying it was because her son never became doctor she would still be living if she had a real doctor for a son.

I woke up from this nightmare and saw I had about 4 hours to change my ROL. I don’t know where I got the insane idea but I logged in NRMP, placed one IM program as #1 and decided that I would let fate decide. If I get into psychiatry then it would not be me but fate that would break my moms heart. I went to vomit some more and went back to bed. I had nothing in me to do anything else.

It was not until about 8pm later that day that I woke up to vomit again. Returning from the bathroom I could not tell if changing my ROL was a nightmare or a reality. I logged on and noted XProgram-IM as my #1 position.

My heart dropped. This was also the institution where I did my clerkship. The same program where I was told that I would surly match if I decided it was the right place for me. I am to surely match there if I don’t intervene. The only question is, should I?

-If I intervene will I always have this guilt of not being a physician in my parent’s eyes?

-If I don’t intervene will I be happy doing something good when I know I could be doing something great for myself and patients?

By intervening, I mean calling the IM program and asking the PD to withdraw me from his rank list.

I know what your thinking - why did I even bother to interview at an IM program if I had my heart set on psychiatry?
–I interviewed at a few IM places as a back up. I figured IM spots would be last on my list and if I got in then its because I still have to prove myself to be a worthy psychiatry applicant. I would reapply with a much more polished edge. BUT NOW if I do match in IM and these other places ranked me high, then surely they are going to see that I ranked IM over Psych and question my interest when I reapply.

So my question is as follows.

1. Has anyone been in this situation? How did you handle it?

2. If you have never been in my situation I would still like any pointers, any advice that you have learned from life that would put my mind to ease. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
LONG STORY SHORT
1. I regrettably will match an in IM program when I had the opportunity to match in psychiatry.

2. This was in fault a result of my love for my parents a

3. I’m thinking of asking the IM PDs to no longer consider me for ranking

Questions
A. If I do this, will I forever have the disappointment of my parents that I love above all over my head?

B. If I stick of IM for 1 year and reapply to Psych next year, will the Programs I interviewed at see me as a flake and blow me off

C. Any life experience welcomed
 
Programs ONLY find out what institutions you match into. They do NOT do do out the specialty unless that hospital does not have the specialty.

It's a very very very inspirational argument and very similar to what I had to go through preparing my ROL. I did end up ranking a couple Of non Psyc programs above my Psyc programs at last minute
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It appears you have a lot of stuff going on outside of ranking specialties. Your dealing with a lot of stress and it seems to be taking a toll on you mentally and physically which is coming out as a lot of anxiety and rummination. Peraps this would be a good time to see a general practitioner to see if you would benefit from some medication and/or therapy. From personal experience, when I am depressed, I tend to do exactly what you are doing: rumminatng, obsessing, over analyzing (which only further perpetuates my anxiety and depression). I think getting your self right will give you a clearer head to address your specialty choice. As above people have metioned, if you end up in IM, and decide its not for you, switching to psych would not be that big of an issue. People do it all the time, I know of many.
 
Last edited:
I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I know of at least two very well-respected psychiatry program directors who went into a different specialty (IM for a year) before switching into psychiatry. **** happens, but things tend to work out in the end.
 
I've heard of people interviewing at IM as "backup" for psych a couple times, why does this happen? Psych is universally less competitive than IM, so using IM as backup is puzzling.

To the OP- tons of people switch from IM to psych every year, your intern year will be a little crappier, but you will probably end up a better doctor overall in the long haul. Back x years ago pretty much everyone was doing a full IM intern year
 
If you can relax, you can see that people around you do not have perfect control or insight. They cannot give you absolute reassurance, and it is scary that they are fallible. The doctor that you encountered is not infallible, nor is your mother. It is scary to rely on your own thinking. From a place that doesn't include fear, you can rationally see that both the doctor and your mother are wrong in their assessments—not even at an emotional level, but at a technical level. But it's natural to want reassurance and positive feedback.

My opinion is that your mother would be out of line even if you told them you didn't want to do anything as a doctor—that you wanted to go teach ESL in the Caribbean or become an actor. It's your life. It's very selfish to tell people, when you know it will change how they act, what you want them to do with their lives.

But I also think, which I know is difficult when you're young, that you have to try to stick with loving yourself and follow your own truth. And that could mean that some of what you're experiencing is a projection onto your parents and this doctor, as if they've tied your hands. Freedom can be a very scary thing. On the other hand, sometimes those forces are powerful enough that you're happier doing what you feel is expected of you.

Either way, and I believe this, in reality you cannot fail. Failure and success are only feelings that exist in the present moment.

Sometimes I wish I were a celebrity. And then I remember, if I were that celebrity, I would either be happy in the present moment with the specifics of that life I had or I wouldn't be--the same as with the life I have right now. You can be happy as a psychiatrist, I believe. You can be happy as an IM doctor, as well. Just as the people around you don't have perfect insight or control, neither do you. But life is generally good, anyhow.
 
The best advice I ever got was to not waste your life trying to please other people. That and internists are generally miserable people. You will be fine regardless of what happens...buckle up, hang on, because its going to be a hell of a ride.
 
i agree dude with all the advice here. Psych not a real doctor? Internists don't do **** either, they consult out to specialists who actually know what they're talking about. Furthermore, you have to understand that other people's OPINIONS about psychiatry are just that. They are not facts based in reality. You have to do what makes you happy, jjust reapply to psych if you match into internal if you're not happy at the end of the year. Not the end of the world.
 
You need to take this as an opportunity to learn to stand up for yourself. It's not 'selfish' to do what you want in life; it's selfish to expect you not to. I understand that there may be some cultural expectations but these don't make these expectations anymore valid. And I am also pretty sure your parents wouldn't be as disappointed if you mentioned how much you'd get paid. BTW being a doctor isn't simply knowing what ESR is; it's also about effective communication and this doctor is clearly lacking in this department.
 
Psychiatry doesn’t need other back up specialties. Psychiatry is probably the #1 back up specialty unfortunately.

Seems to me that the OP is possibly about to have a very effective resolution to his/her lack of resolve. I will not go into interpretations of individualization and parental pressure and culture. I will point out that a year of IM will send you running back into psychiatry completely independent of what your family thinks, your medical associates think, or even your friends and spouse think. If it doesn’t, then your tolerance of IM makes you well equipped to continue and your middle of the night epiphany was correct. This would mean that you belong in IM. One year of IM might seem like a severe punishment for a moment of indecision, but it is productive pain in that the skills you learn will be useful. You will also finish on time without delay if you go to psych so your pain will be temporary and helpful in the long run.
Everyone needs to understand that the match is high stakes and full of consequences that are hard to reverse. It is binding and everyone involved needs to do the best they can to not make mistakes. The rules are simple:

1. Don’t have anything on your list you are unwilling to do and that means nothing what so ever no matter what, no matter who tells you differently. The computer will not know if you listed something “maybe I should X, just in case, or listed it as yes! please please please.”

2. Put programs you would rather be in above those you would like less. This means no overthinking, gaming, mind reading programs interests, or reading chicken guts. Who cares if you get your #2 if you really wanted #1. No one knows your list and you should give #1 a shot.

I know this isn’t as easy as I state it, but this is really the task. Good luck psychoops, this isn’t the end of the world. At most it is 6 or 8 months of extra IM.
 
One more thing, programs get to see where everyone on their list matches, including what specialty. They do not get to see people they interviewed but did not rank.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Programs ONLY find out what institutions you match into. They do NOT do do out the specialty unless that hospital does not have the specialty.
This is incorrect. When I get my results from NRMP, it tells me where each applicant is going and in which field/track.
 
I couldn't follow along with the whole post(must be my adult adhd), but it's clear that the OP has already decided to do psychiatry(at some point) and is just looking for confirmation.
 
IM as a backup to psych... It sounds to me like the OP was having second guesses about psych long before this "Prick" attending.
 
I'm not impressed with a doctor who thinks complex terms are "ESR" and "high blood count" and even more unimpressed with a doctor who can't explain these terms to a layperson.

From my personal experience, both of my parents are non-psychiatric physicians. They are certainly disappointed in my decision to pursue psychiatry. However, that doesn't stop them from regularly calling me for advice... interesting...
 
Hmmm, psychiatrists aren't real doctors?

How about I kick you in the nuts.

Oh, I guess I'm not a real doctor. I should've used the word scrotum.

This doctor was very inappropriate, and to say that comment especially when the family is in a time of heavy distress is even worse.

Yet it's always the physicians that least want to deal with these issues (intensivists, surgeons, etc.) and consult psych when a patient is "tearful" who are quick to the punch with the tired pejoratives.

I find the whole thing amusing.
 
Yet it's always the physicians that least want to deal with these issues (intensivists, surgeons, etc.) and consult psych when a patient is "tearful" who are quick to the punch with the tired pejoratives.

I find the whole thing amusing.


huh? How would a surgeon's tendency to consult psych quickly for 'difficult' patients(in terms of emotions, crying, etc) refute their stance here? They will be the FIRST person to tell you that they didn't go to medical school and train to be a doctor/surgeon to deal with crying patients because they dont consider it 'medicine' or 'surgery'. So they bring in someone they don't consider a peer(mental health) to deal with it. That's entirely consistent with their mindset/philosophy.

Note that I'm not saying the above behavior is right or wrong. Im taking no stance on that right now. But it's certainly not behavior that is inconsistent with their tendency to disrespect/bash mental health.
 
huh? How would a surgeon's tendency to consult psych quickly for 'difficult' patients(in terms of emotions, crying, etc) refute their stance here? They will be the FIRST person to tell you that they didn't go to medical school and train to be a doctor/surgeon to deal with crying patients because they dont consider it 'medicine' or 'surgery'. So they bring in someone they don't consider a peer(mental health) to deal with it. That's entirely consistent with their mindset/philosophy.

Note that I'm not saying the above behavior is right or wrong. Im taking no stance on that right now. But it's certainly not behavior that is inconsistent with their tendency to disrespect/bash mental health.

The consult in and of itself isn't problematic, but it's the fact that talking with the patient for all of 20 seconds will reveal quite obviously that he/she is not depressed and was simply emotional due to the fact that they've been told that they're going to have a complicated procedure. It's a waste of everyone's time caused by having no interest in dealing with feelings. I have no problem going and seeing these people, but at some point I have to question why consults are repeatedly coming in that at most end up as an adjustment disorder and equally as common as "normal human experience."
 
huh? How would a surgeon's tendency to consult psych quickly for 'difficult' patients(in terms of emotions, crying, etc) refute their stance here? They will be the FIRST person to tell you that they didn't go to medical school and train to be a doctor/surgeon to deal with crying patients because they dont consider it 'medicine' or 'surgery'. So they bring in someone they don't consider a peer(mental health) to deal with it. That's entirely consistent with their mindset/philosophy.

All physicians should be prepared to handle basic human emotions without becoming flustered and running for a psych consult. No, you don't have to hold their hand or give them a hug, but when someone with back pain cries because you won't give them oxy, that does not mean they need a psych consult. Likewise, a patient with a chronic illness who may be tearful on admission is not a "difficult" patient who needs psychiatry.
 
I know some hospitals have a psych nurse or social worker who sees the "she cried when we told her she has cancer" "consults", which frees the C/L service to see the catatonia/delirium/post-suicide attempt/psychosis/etc. Seems like a good system, patients who need someone to listen get someone to do that and patients who need someone to practice medicine get the fuller attention of the docs. (Not that having time for extended listening shouldn't be part of practicing medicine, but unfortunately thats not really how most inpatient services run)
 
I know some hospitals have a psych nurse or social worker who sees the "she cried when we told her she has cancer" "consults", which frees the C/L service to see the catatonia/delirium/post-suicide attempt/psychosis/etc. Seems like a good system, patients who need someone to listen get someone to do that and patients who need someone to practice medicine get the fuller attention of the docs. (Not that having time for extended listening shouldn't be part of practicing medicine, but unfortunately thats not really how most inpatient services run)

the problem with this in the community(where money needs to be made and food put on the table) is that the number of weird/interesting consults, even in large community hospitals, just isn't that large. If one wants to only put their consult code in for catatonic patients, one is going to be eating a lot of ramen. If I had a contract to do consults at the community hospital I'd welcome the routine post-op delirium consults or the 'they cried because they were told they had cancer' consults. Those consults are going to boost your bottom line a heck of a lot more than consults where the use of a psychiatrist is truly required.
 
The consult in and of itself isn't problematic, but it's the fact that talking with the patient for all of 20 seconds will reveal quite obviously that he/she is not depressed and was simply emotional due to the fact that they've been told that they're going to have a complicated procedure. It's a waste of everyone's time caused by having no interest in dealing with feelings. I have no problem going and seeing these people, but at some point I have to question why consults are repeatedly coming in that at most end up as an adjustment disorder and equally as common as "normal human experience."

I don't disagree with this, but as I said this sort of attitude surgeons have is entirely consistent with their image of mental health. They don't respect us for the most part, so they do this kind of stuff to us.

But as I said in an earlier post, these are the kind of consults you want if you are in private practice and have a contract to do consults(where a lot of your revenue is from billing yourself and not a flat fee consult coverage). People in the real world dont complain about business.
 
Interpret his misery and use it as ammunition.

Do you really want to be this guy? I cannot imagine him liking his job very much.

Respect from other physicians means nothing to me. At the end of the day, I know I'm helping my patients in invaluable ways, command a pretty amazing lifestyle (especially compared to the "real doctors) and make a pretty great living to boot.

I cannot tell you how many times I've been told by my surgeon, ER or IM friends that they wish they had the stomach for psychiatry.
 
Last edited:
This situation is not terrible at all. As someone previously commented, if you match in IM and like it, it is for you. If not, you can apply again to psychiatry (yes, ERAS is expensive/time consuming but worth it if you are pursuing your passion), and you will be a much more skilled doctor because of your intern year. Honestly, I think every psychiatrist would benefit from a traditional (medicine or maybe even surgery) intern year. One of the many reasons I ranked my current program #1 is because the psychiatry interns are treated as internal medicine interns when rotating on the IM services, with the same expectations, number of patients, etc. Intern year provides for basic doctor skills that (for most people) can't be learned in a book, and I think a full medicine year, with inpatient wards, ICU, even primary care clinic, will make the psychiatrist much more equipped to handle things that people expect doctors to handle. Now, outside of residency these skills might not be that necessary for the practicing psychiatrist (though we *should* be able to respond appropriately if in a public space someone needs a Dr), but during residency, they are incredibly useful.
 
This is the long story. See my next post to get to the point.

Life was good. I finished med school and completed a round of great interviews. I had even gotten confident remarks for matching at a program that I would have loved to stay and work for after residency. I was so thrilled about becoming a psychiatrist that I read the whole of 11th edition of Psychiatry Lecture Notes since graduation and excitingly awaiting for my copy of Kaplan and Sadock i purchased. Yes, I know I should be studying for step3 but this is my time off and I want to use this time reading psychiatry. I earned it. Not to sound manic, delusional, or cranked up on stimulants-which im not-but there was no way that things could have been better.

But then this happened..

A few weeks ago my dad was hospitalized. The doctor showed up on day 1 to explain why my dad was ill and what the treatment plan was. He was using words like ESR, increased blood cell count. My mother kept on asking what each thing meant. It was easy to tell that the physician was frustrated by these simple questions. The next day the same doctor came in and before he could say a word my mom told him to talk to her son who recently finished med school. He turned to me and asked what residency I was in. I shyly but proudly stated that I interviewed in psychiatry and would find out in March which program. This freeking doctor turned to my family and said exactly – Psychiatry is not a medical field so he will not understand what Im talking about any more than you will.

I’m not new to the whole “Psychiatrist are not real doctors” but it has never ever bothered me. I didn’t care. But for this doctor to say that and in front of my family was rude! I spent the next few days with a very odd feeling of shame. At least that’s the best way I can explain it. I overcame the shame by going over my notes from psych and came to an understanding that this doctor is from a different culture or was having a nugget of a day as we sometimes all do. I was happy and confident again. The night before my ROL deadline, I brought up to my family that I was excited about my ROL. My mother then asked if I was still planning to work as a psychOLOGIST or get a doctor residency. I explained the difference between the two and that psychIATRIST are doctors. They acted as they got the idea that psychiatrist are real physicians but I could tell they did not buy it. My mother ended up telling me that night - THE VERY NIGHT BEFORE ROL Deadline – about all their sacrifices they made to put me through school and then she ended with – I want you to be happy even if that means you still decide to not be a doctor.

Yesterday –ROL cert deadline- I woke up so depressed that my parents didn’t understand but I knew that one day they would come around and in a few months I would be an awesome psychiatry resident. I was still feeling very depressed though and very sick. I vomited a few time right after waking up then out of nowhere, I felt this big cloud of guilt over me. Almost like a panic attack. This never happened to me before. I kept on thinking about how my parents are in poor health and I began to think about how selfish I had been. They have sacrificed so much and worked so hard to put me through med school. How my mom was bragging about how I graduated from medical school and her son was a doctor. I kept on dosing off and each time I did- I would see her eyes filled with sadness when this prick doctor told her I wasn’t a medical doctor. One of the nightmares I had that day was of my mom’s funeral and on her coffin was an empty diploma frame. I asked why it was empty and the funeral director (who was the same stupid doctor) laughed saying it was because her son never became doctor she would still be living if she had a real doctor for a son.

I woke up from this nightmare and saw I had about 4 hours to change my ROL. I don’t know where I got the insane idea but I logged in NRMP, placed one IM program as #1 and decided that I would let fate decide. If I get into psychiatry then it would not be me but fate that would break my moms heart. I went to vomit some more and went back to bed. I had nothing in me to do anything else.

It was not until about 8pm later that day that I woke up to vomit again. Returning from the bathroom I could not tell if changing my ROL was a nightmare or a reality. I logged on and noted XProgram-IM as my #1 position.

My heart dropped. This was also the institution where I did my clerkship. The same program where I was told that I would surly match if I decided it was the right place for me. I am to surely match there if I don’t intervene. The only question is, should I?

-If I intervene will I always have this guilt of not being a physician in my parent’s eyes?

-If I don’t intervene will I be happy doing something good when I know I could be doing something great for myself and patients?

By intervening, I mean calling the IM program and asking the PD to withdraw me from his rank list.

I know what your thinking - why did I even bother to interview at an IM program if I had my heart set on psychiatry?
–I interviewed at a few IM places as a back up. I figured IM spots would be last on my list and if I got in then its because I still have to prove myself to be a worthy psychiatry applicant. I would reapply with a much more polished edge. BUT NOW if I do match in IM and these other places ranked me high, then surely they are going to see that I ranked IM over Psych and question my interest when I reapply.

So my question is as follows.

1. Has anyone been in this situation? How did you handle it?

2. If you have never been in my situation I would still like any pointers, any advice that you have learned from life that would put my mind to ease. Thanks.

Didn't read every post on this thread. I am sorry you had to experience this. I personally know someone who is double boarded in IM and Psych. He did IM because his parent's didn't think psychiatrists were real doctors but after IM he went onto what he loves and now practices as a psychiatrist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This may be a classic selection bias, but every double boarded psychiatrist I know be it neuro, family medicine, or IM, is practicing psychiatry exclusively.
 
the problem with this in the community(where money needs to be made and food put on the table) is that the number of weird/interesting consults, even in large community hospitals, just isn't that large. If one wants to only put their consult code in for catatonic patients, one is going to be eating a lot of ramen. If I had a contract to do consults at the community hospital I'd welcome the routine post-op delirium consults or the 'they cried because they were told they had cancer' consults. Those consults are going to boost your bottom line a heck of a lot more than consults where the use of a psychiatrist is truly required.

Every speciality has its version of this kind of consult, e.g. the Neurology consult for dizziness. Ours is "special" in that the consult is for a "normal" reaction to a medical illness. This, by the way, is where then "liaison" part of consultation-liaison psychiatry comes in: If the consulting surgeon can't handle her patient's tears then your job is also to talk to and educate the surgeon about how to talk to patients who cry. A good C-L psychiatrist in such situations sees the consulting physician/team as the patient as much as the identified patient. Dealing with this sort of thing effectively, ie to the patient's benefit, requires a good background in psychodynamic psychiatry, family therapy, etc. Most psychiatrists don't have this, and therefor tend to be angered by such consults, or see them as "easy money."
 
I would like to thank all of you who took the time to give some encouraging words. Each comment lifted me off the ground higher and higher. I can totally see now that the worst case is not at all bad but instead- make me a stronger person with a different start. End product will still be same--an enthusiastic psychiatrist.

For those interested on how Im panning out - I ended up going a few days without eating or drinking after rank. I cannot even recollect doing anything except for obsessing over my ROL. I decided to go see my doctor as I new this depression was becoming more and more physically debilitating. He took one look at me - asked few questions - and then asked his nurse to walk me across the street to the hospital - where I received IV fluids and antibiotics. I told the Doc about feeling depressed and he simply chuckled telling me that everything would work out for me in the end and said that this feeling is from being dehydrated then proceeded to give me some antiemetics. I decided to bring my feelings of depression back up before he left the room. He persisted that all I needed was something for my “nerves” and prescribed alprazolam 1mg bid #60. I was too fatigued and left the subject alone. I was surprised not a single person asked me about details regarding my depression or even suicide. Since then, I have been taking the Xanax every night and admit to feeling much better as if everything will turn out all right no matter where I match- many thanks to all of you for clearing my head -

I have been trying to find research on antidepressant effect of Xanax but only been able to find articles regarding possible link to depression which is contrary to what I’m experiencing. I also get this weird brain fog sometimes which I can only explain as thought blocking. Its not only for a specific subject but actually lasts all day when experienced. Im pretty sure its from the xanax and I do plan to stop taking them tomorrow after I find out where I rank. So just wanted to say thanks for all the emotional support. Helped through a very tough time and you are all great.

By the way-are these antidepressant effect that I’m feeling on xanax something I could actually pursue as research in the future since I cannot find anything published on this? Or could my optimism stem from just not obsessing over my ROL and getting nutrients in me--- not to mention fresh air 🙂



Anyhow. Thanks all of your for your replies. You all are the best.
 
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION -SORRY! If i do match into IM tomorrow. Should I send an apology email to the psychiatry program that I was hoping to match at. I told the director that i would rank his program as first and he replied saying that he couldnt say much but did say that he knows I will have a very successful match this year. Then a few days later the program coordinator called me to confirm some documentations then she said she looked forward to seeing me soon. This makes me think that they are ranking high me but maybe just a ploy to make sure they get everyone to rank them. I feel like I totally burned this bridge and not to mentioned - giving myself a douche reputation among psychiatry programs
 
Last edited:
To be honest I find it very unusual these days that a physician would say something like "psychiatry is not a medical field so he will not understand what Im talking about any more than you will" to a family member except in a way as a joke to a peer. Secondly, the follow-up story is also strange. Why would a doctor write a bunch of Xanax for someone who's depressed and needs IV fluids?

In our medical-legal world, physicians usually say very little in front of family and patients, as random comments expose them to liability for lawsuits. Writing a bunch of Xanax to a medical student who complains of depression is also very uncharacteristic of the standard primary care practice, and would generally be considered poor judgement, and frank malpractice if a bad outcome results. The way in which these supposed medical scenarios are described are more similar to what a movie/TV show would be like than an actual medical encounter, IMHO.

Either OP had not one, but two exceptionally bad physicians, or, more parsimoniously, this makes me think that the OP is trolling.

Psychiatry has a rep in med school now as this fun family friendly lifestyle specialty (go read the allo forums). It's not particularly believable that someone who likes psychiatry from the get go would easily be dissuaded by his/her parents by a random comment from a random physician.
 
Last edited:
To be honest I find it very unusual these days that a physician would say something like "psychiatry is not a medical field so he will not understand what Im talking about any more than you will" to a family member except in a way as a joke to a peer. Secondly, the follow-up story is also strange. Why would a doctor write a bunch of Xanax for someone who's depressed and needs IV fluids?

In our medical-legal world, physicians usually say very little in front of family and patients, as random comments expose them to liability for lawsuits. Writing a bunch of Xanax to a medical student who complains of depression is also very uncharacteristic of the standard primary care practice, and would generally be considered poor judgement, and frank malpractice if a bad outcome results. The way in which these supposed medical scenarios are described are more similar to what a movie/TV show would be like than an actual medical encounter, IMHO.

Either OP had not one, but two exceptionally bad physicians, or, more parsimoniously, this makes me think that the OP is trolling.

Psychiatry has a rep in med school now as this fun family friendly lifestyle specialty (go read the allo forums). It's not particularly believable that someone who likes psychiatry from the get go would easily be dissuaded by his/her parents by a random comment from a random physician.
I'm very sorry you doubt my situation. I hope you are more compassionate to your patients. I wish you wouldn't discredit my post which is what happened to me. The abx were for the possible infection which i took for a week. the xanax he gave because i told him i was depressed and he said no he believes its just anxiety. any how... you seem very knowledgable and know i could benifit from your recomendations - not your lack of sensetivity.
 
LOL you have no idea what I do for a living. I mostly deal with substance users with a forensic history. My job has more to do with calling BS when I see it.
How does bashing someone benefit you? Why take the time and risk to discredit someone so easily? I'm asking for some help from those i look up to. If you have none - then thank you for reading my post anyways but please don't risk totally hurting someone you now nothing about. That is just not nice - shame on you.
 
Last edited:
This sounds like a troll to me.
Ok found out what trolling is. Like i said to sluox - please dont be so quick to descridit someone asking for help. you can-are causing more damage than good. Not a nice thing to do for someone in early years of career. Try to remember how it was for you. Sure my questions may sound really dumb but you once did not know what you know now. Not a nice thing to do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never thought SPYCHOOPS was a troll. I'm glad to hear you are back on your feet PSYCHOOPS and good luck tomorrow!!
 
seems like the problem is neither psychiatry, IM, the other doctor, or anything of the sort.

The problem is that you have led a shletered life where you have not gotten the true picture of the real world.

It is a shame that your family let you grow up so sheltered from the a-holes of the world.

I don't know why parents do that. They tell their kids that they are the greatest, never cluing them in that there are a-holes around the world just ready and willing to pounce you down.

They do their children such a disservice not prepping them. I talk to my kids frequently about the real and the uglier side of the world and of people. If this ever happened to one of my kids, they'd laugh their asses off at the intensivist in the ICU.

Your reaction is wholly consistent with one who has yet to be initiated to the real world.

So, as I said int he first sentence of this reply. The problem and the solution is you. The world aint never going to be soft and nurturing, babying place your fantasies wishes that it ought to be.

And sorry if this hurts you. Well, actually not sorry at all. Let this be your first initiation into the real workings of real adult, uglier side of life.

cheers.
 
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION -SORRY! If i do match into IM tomorrow. Should I send an apology email to the psychiatry program that I was hoping to match at. I told the director that i would rank his program as first and he replied saying that he couldnt say much but did say that he knows I will have a very successful match this year. Then a few days later the program coordinator called me to confirm some documentations then she said she looked forward to seeing me soon. This makes me think that they are ranking high me but maybe just a ploy to make sure they get everyone to rank them. I feel like I totally burned this bridge and not to mentioned - giving myself a douche reputation among psychiatry programs
If I were that program director, I would appreciate knowing that you were the kind of person who would come back to your mistake and honestly own up to it. "Hey, I'm sorry and I regret this now--but I got cold feet. I hope you had a very successful match. Could I touch base with you in a few months and discuss the possibility of a transfer as a PGY2?" Even if the answer is "sorry, we won't be able to accommodate that", you've kept doors open and done your best to repair a potentially broken relationship. We're ALL human--on both sides of this process. We shouldn't underestimate the value of a kind word.
Good luck tomorrow.
 
seems like the problem is neither psychiatry, IM, the other doctor, or anything of the sort.

The problem is that you have led a shletered life where you have not gotten the true picture of the real world.

It is a shame that your family let you grow up so sheltered from the a-holes of the world.

I don't know why parents do that. They tell their kids that they are the greatest, never cluing them in that there are a-holes around the world just ready and willing to pounce you down.

They do their children such a disservice not prepping them. I talk to my kids frequently about the real and the uglier side of the world and of people. If this ever happened to one of my kids, they'd laugh their asses off at the intensivist in the ICU.

Your reaction is wholly consistent with one who has yet to be initiated to the real world.

So, as I said int he first sentence of this reply. The problem and the solution is you. The world aint never going to be soft and nurturing, babying place your fantasies wishes that it ought to be.

And sorry if this hurts you. Well, actually not sorry at all. Let this be your first initiation into the real workings of real adult, uglier side of life.

cheers.
opinion is maybe presumptuous but very constructive. Thanks for the valuable input from your invaluable experiences. I guess the reason why I took it so serious was because my dad sick to me is a very serious issue- even scary. This was an emotional time for the whole family and not the time to take a professionals word lightly.
 
Last edited:
If I were that program director, I would appreciate knowing that you were the kind of person who would come back to your mistake and honestly own up to it. "Hey, I'm sorry and I regret this now--but I got cold feet. I hope you had a very successful match. Could I touch base with you in a few months and discuss the possibility of a transfer as a PGY2?" Even if the answer is "sorry, we won't be able to accommodate that", you've kept doors open and done your best to repair a potentially broken relationship. We're ALL human--on both sides of this process. We shouldn't underestimate the value of a kind word.
Good luck tomorrow.
Yes - I blame no one else but myself. I should have not doubt myself and like many mentioned - follow my dreams no matter the criticism. Live and learn - that is all we can do from our mistakes. I know I will be a psychiatrist and the previous posts are inspiring. I think the only thing that really makes me feel bad is not keeping my word. A person is only as good as his word. The PD was very sincere and would have lucky to have him as a mentor. I will take your advice and email him once i find out tomorrow. thanks for reply.