Regular Calculus vs. Social Science Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wazzy604

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing up my undergrad as a Biology major and soon applying to Optometry school after taking the OAT in a month.

I'm taking Calculus this semester. Currently I'm signed up for Social Science Calculus instead of general calculus because it fits myschedule and meets my degree requirements. Does Optometry schools look at Applied Calculus (Social Science based) in a negative light as opposed to regular calculus? Should I attemp to take regular calc instead of sicial science calculus?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I've ever heard of Social Science Calculus. The only calculus offered at my university was Engineering-based. lol Regardless, I would contact the schools that you are interested instead of relying on the opinions of anonymous posters on this forum. I had a similar situation regarding an English II course. I submitted to the optometry school a copy of the course syllabus and proof that it satisfied an English requirement at my undergraduate university. The admissions committee reviewed it and eventually approved it.

Good luck to you!

I am currently finishing up my undergrad as a Biology major and soon applying to Optometry school after taking the OAT in a month.

I'm taking Calculus this semester. Currently I'm signed up for Social Science Calculus instead of general calculus because it fits myschedule and meets my degree requirements. Does Optometry schools look at Applied Calculus (Social Science based) in a negative light as opposed to regular calculus? Should I attemp to take regular calc instead of sicial science calculus?

I took living science calculus (or something like that) and no one seemed to mind, but I would contact your schools just to be on the safe side.