Regular Masters after undergrad...Any thoughts on this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Skipforward

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was planning on getting a masters in biochemistry at my local city college. Its a program where you dont have to take your GRE, its 11 months ands it grants a masters in biochemistry. By the time I graduate, my GPA will be about 3.3. To be more competitive I want to do my masters in biochem. The reason why I dont want to do an smp is because those classes are too expensive.
 
Whilst it is an upper level science masters degree - you have to question the credibility and respect for a place that doesnt require the GRE...
 
If your GPA will be a 3.3, I think if you take more undergrad science classes, you can raise your GPA to a 3.4+ (with 1-2 years of work)--this is much more beneficial for your med school application. Getting a masters degree in the sciences will not make you a stronger applicant, nor will it improve your GPA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If your GPA will be a 3.3, I think if you take more undergrad science classes, you can raise your GPA to a 3.4+ (with 1-2 years of work)--this is much more beneficial for your med school application. Getting a masters degree in the sciences will not make you a stronger applicantnor will it improve your GPA.

disagree with the bolded statement.