Rehab Cap?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabdocmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently completing my PGY1 year and we have admission and census caps (admission cap of 5 admission per call, 10 patients on your roster). Do these caps exist in rehab?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, we have a cap. It's called The Number of Beds on the Rehab Unit.

I am currently completing my PGY1 year and we have admission and census caps (admission cap of 5 admission per call, 10 patients on your roster). Do these caps exist in rehab?

A lot depends on how sick a medical director will accept.
30 bed units see a turn over of 3-5 beds per day. So if there is 2 teams, you only get 2-3 admissions per day.

In IM, you get admissions day and night, in PMR, they come after the 7AM shift releases them or the 3PM shift releases them. If they are close enough by you go there to do the paperwork and H&P.

In my PMR years, I'd work my ass off from 7-2 in house (rounds on 15-18 patients, Team Conf, 2 Family Conf, afternoon rounds- and get inhouse admits done).. At 2 I would head across town to the transferring hospital units to get my paperwork, H&P done. I'd dictate the H&P while driving home (always loved bluetooth), fax the orders from the hospital or home, and bring in all the hard copy in the AM.

Who needs caps for 2-3 hrs of PT/OT/ST/NP per day.

Members don't see this ad :)
On general rehab, we had about 30 beds, 2 residents, 2-3 D/C's and 2-3 admits each per day on average, but that was back in the stone ages (90's...). On SCI we had around 15 beds, 1 resident, probably same averages.

At the VA, life was even cushier.

One thing that comes to mind for me - we considered SCI our hardest rotation - the most responsibility, the most time-intensive. We occasionally had a urology resident on SCI for a month - they considered it a vacation.

No one in PM&R can really complain about the schedule and admits. I did more as an inpt attending my first job out of residency than I ever did as a resident.

Agree with above. Different programs "cap" differently. It's not the same as IM. It mostly depends upon how sick the patients are and how much scutwork, paper-pushing, and humpty-dumpty medicine you're doing on a daily basis.

It's like flying a plane--take-off and landing are the hardest. The rest of the time its, "Double the colace and add senna. Gee, let's try Flomax. How about we sprinkle some ritalin on them and see what happens...etc."

In general, during residency it is mostly easy but at times simply soul crushing work...

I'm a PGY-3 at a free standing rehab hospital and so far the most admits I've done on one day is 4. You have to think that the nursing and therapists and social workers don't really want alot of people coming in on the same day to begin with. If you think our H&P and orders are bad, think of the miles of paperwork they have to do--admit FIMs, care plans, etc. etc. And we also have off-service residents (ortho sx) on SCI for a month, and they too think it's easy street (even at the times we think we're busting ass).