Rehab Tech vs Patent Care Tech in Acute Rehab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosier24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like a full time rehab tech job so that I can beef up my observation hours. The local hospital posted patient care tech positions in the acute rehab department and I can't decide if I would actually gain any therapy experience this way. They never post any actual rehab tech positions, so I'm wondering if this would be a sort of inpatient rehab tech position... and yes, I understand that a lot of patient care tech duties are really gross. Any thoughts/ideas/opinions??

Members don't see this ad.

I would try and find a rehab tech position rather than be a patient care tech. The patient care techs are not involved with the rehab at the hospital I work at. Also, hospitals generally only have 1 or 2 rehab techs depending on the size compared to several handfuls of patient care techs so rehab tech jobs are just harder to come by. Most hospitals also usually require you to have be a CNA to be a patient care tech.

When I was looking for a job at PT clinics I sent out my resume and cover letter to a lot of clinics without looking through classifieds.

Right now is a pretty good time to apply because most Techs are trying to get into school and many are likely leaving now through the fall. Try and just get in contact with clinics and hospitals to see if there are any openings coming up in the future. This way there is less competition for you when the clinic posts a classified and 300 people submit applications.