Rejected first year, backups might not work out... sos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ammeretta

UGA CVM c/o 2027
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does UGA do file reviews for DVM applicants? If they do, strongly recommend talking with them to figure out the best targeted approach.
Yes they do, but not until May. I have friends that attempted to do file reviews in years passed and they did not receive responses for several months, or sometimes not at all. I want to be as proactive as I can with the time I have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully UGA will be able to do a file review in the near future. Until then, I'd highly recommend doing something along the lines of Magoosh to raise your GRE quant score. As far as your gpa's go, make sure that you are calculating your science gpa using only the UGA science pre-req courses. And be aware that UGA averages any retakes. Even though they average retakes, an improved grade will raise your last 45 gpa.

Not sure how long the shelter in place/working remotely will last, but maybe you can try to schedule an in person appointment with Parker to discuss the best strategies for improving your application. If you are planning to retake courses, it might be better to wait till the next cycle before applying because your gpa's are calculated based on what you send in with your application (not courses you might take this fall or next spring).

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Also a Georgia resident :hello:

What are your science and last 45 credit GPAs? It’s definitely do-able to be accepted with a low GPA if can manage a strong last 45 and science GPA. I would also try to get your GRE score up, since that’s important to them. I personally studied with Magoosh and had a 312 combined score (and historically I’m not a good standardized test taker.

Also - where are you located in GA? (You can PM me if you’re more comfortable) I’d be happy to let you know where I shadowed.

Pull unique experiences into your essays that are non-vet med related so you can show that you’re well-rounded. I’d be happy to send you my essays if they would be helpful to you!

Hopefully UGA will be able to do a file review in the near future. Until then, I'd highly recommend doing something along the lines of Magoosh to raise your GRE quant score. As far as your gpa's go, make sure that you are calculating your science gpa using only the UGA science pre-req courses. And be aware that UGA averages any retakes. Even though they average retakes, an improved grade will raise your last 45 gpa.

Not sure how long the shelter in place/working remotely will last, but maybe you can try to schedule an in person appointment with Parker to discuss the best strategies for improving your application. If you are planning to retake courses, it might be better to wait till the next cycle before applying because your gpa's are calculated based on what you send in with your application (not courses you might take this fall or next spring).

Best of luck to you!

Thank you for your reply. Have you tried Magoosh? Is it worth it? I know that retaking won't be the magical fix-all but I'm hoping if I retake a class or two they can see I'm seriously trying a variety of things to up my chances.

That is a great idea. I will definitely follow up with Parker... he can be rather difficult to get a hold of. I am looking to retake a course over the summer so I hope that will be at least a little something to add on my application.

Also a Georgia resident :hello:

What are your science and last 45 credit GPAs? It’s definitely do-able to be accepted with a low GPA if can manage a strong last 45 and science GPA. I would also try to get your GRE score up, since that’s important to them. I personally studied with Magoosh and had a 312 combined score (and historically I’m not a good standardized test taker.

Also - where are you located in GA? (You can PM me if you’re more comfortable) I’d be happy to let you know where I shadowed.

Pull unique experiences into your essays that are non-vet med related so you can show that you’re well-rounded. I’d be happy to send you my essays if they would be helpful to you!

I dropped you a PM. Thank you for your reply!

Thank you for your reply. Have you tried Magoosh? Is it worth it? I know that retaking won't be the magical fix-all but I'm hoping if I retake a class or two they can see I'm seriously trying a variety of things to up my chances.

That is a great idea. I will definitely follow up with Parker... he can be rather difficult to get a hold of. I am looking to retake a course over the summer so I hope that will be at least a little something to add on my application.

Personally, I did it for the quant review to get back into practice for the format of the questions. If you search on SDN, lots of people recommend Magoosh. Compared to other programs the price is reasonable and since you've already taken the gre you should be eligible for the guaranteed 5 point total score increase. Back when UGA used to post their admitted class stats, the average total gre score for IS was around 310. Getting your quant score above 150 would be a boost to your application.

Agree that retaking classes and improving your grades is a plus. Your experience hours look good and have variety.

Applying to vet school is not easy! Keep your chin up!