General Admissions & OTCAS Rejected from all OT programs I applied to! What should i do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm the OP of this thread and have been offline for quite some time repeating coursework, volunteering, retaking the GRE, and improving my application the best I can. This cycle, so far I was invited to interview at USA (MOT), Nova Southeastern (OTD), and Emory and Henry College (MOT). As i mentioned before, my stats were absolutely horrendous. I had a poor GPA, and most of my prerequisites were still incomplete for OT. Through a lot of perseverance, hard-work, and determination, i was able to bring my grades up and achieve a near 4.0 in all of my prerequistes, perform better on the GRE, and volunteer at a variety of places including an outpatient PT/OT clinic. In the last few weeks, i was accepted to USA and Nova Southeastern.

To anyone out there who feels like they don't have a chance, you do! Stats are not everything, and they do not always define you as a student. Be more selective about the schools you apply to and research each and every program you apply to. Look for programs that are suitable for your needs and not the other way around. Good luck out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I wouldn't knock West Coast just because it's for profit. The majority of the staff graduated from USC and are very knowledgeable. I attended a few information sessions and the dean, professors, and students are so passionate, excited, and helpful. Over my years of volunteering I got to know quite a few level II FW students who said that they felt they received the individual attention and hands on experience they needed to become a good OT. West Coast also has a high retention rate and NBCOT pass rate. It is expensive, about $86k for the program. There are cheaper programs. But just like how you wouldn't want to be crossed off the list of a school because a lower gpa, I wouldn't write off schools just because they are for profit. Take the time to research every option and see what is right for you.

I don't doubt the quality of education which may be available at West Coast and other for profit institutions. We already have enough profit motive in education; having profit explicitly out there as a high priority of an educational institution is something I am concerned with, especially with the really bad press they are getting these days. IMHO I would avoid for profit schools and advise all applicants to focus on state funded programs, avoid private and for profit schools if you wish to walk away with a solid OT education with the "cheapest" degree you can find.

Everyone has to make their determination for his or herself; I personally do not think for profit higher education should exist, a 100k OT degree should be a criminal offense. You can find that at our "non profit" USC. Scary. They found a market of students who are willing to pay 100k for an OT degree - more power to them.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, dont go to a for-profit place. I went to one and not worth it. Sure they may teach you right but payback sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, dont go to a for-profit place. I went to one and not worth it. Sure they may teach you right but payback sucks.

They have some very questionable practices bordering on the unethical. The last administration clamped down on them. Donald Trump actually ran one (Trump "University"). Make what you will of that... imho, say no to for profit university education.

They have some very questionable practices bordering on the unethical. The last administration clamped down on them. Donald Trump actually ran one (Trump "University"). Make what you will of that... imho, say no to for profit university education.

Considering the schools are accredited by the same issuer, I would not be so quick to snub my nose at some programs versus others.

It’s a matter of preference, and there aren’t always state schools in certain areas that have OT.

Found this good article on the subject:

1. They cost more than traditional colleges

For-profits may sound like a good option for someone who doesn’t have the time or money to attend a four-year college or university. However, the price tag could set you back far more. Tuition and fees for a public two-year, in-district school are $3,520, according to College Board For a public four-year, in-state school it’s $9,650. And for a for-profit college — it’s $16,000. Still think your local four-year college is too expensive? You can look at the costs overall for an even better understanding of how expensive for-profit colleges are. ProPublica shares the average cost of an associate’s degree in 2012 at a for-profit university was $35,000. For an associate’s degree at a comparable community college? Only $8,300.

2. They spend less on your education

If you’re going to spend more, you should receive a higher quality education, right? Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work out that way. The average for-profit college spent $2,050 per student on instruction in 2009. But a public college spent $7,329 per student. How does the student fare in this scenario? Not well. According to a study of more than 30 for-profit colleges, 54 percent of students who were enrolled in 2008-09 had dropped out by mid-2010. Students aiming for a two-year degree fared even worse, with a 64 percent dropout rate.

3. You might earn less than before

So for-profit schools cost more than most other schools and less is spent on students’ instruction. But what happens after you graduate? According to recent data, you might actually earn less than you did before you attend a for-profit school. Fortune reported: “Researchers out of George Washington University and the U.S. Department of the Treasury looked at income and debt data from about 1.4 million students to determine the effects on those graduating from for-profit universities…They found that ‘on average associate’s and bachelor’s degree students experience a decline in earnings after attendance, relative to their own earnings in years prior to attendance,’ according to a summary of the report published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.” No one goes to college with the intent of earning less afterward. So how is it possible that this investment goes so negative with some for-profit college graduates?

4. Their job placement statistics aren’t what they seem

Because the job placement rates for-profit colleges advertise are not always accurate. These numbers are often inflated and don’t necessarily include work found in your field. If you decided to get a for-profit education for a degree in massage therapy, but end up working at Home Depot, then that could count as a “placement.” Sound crazy? Read a few of the stories in this article by New America to find out just how prevalent this is. 5. Your school might close and credit transfers might be hard Let’s say you’re already attending a for-profit school and, all of a sudden, your school closes. With for-profit colleges, this is not infrequent. In fact, in the fall of 2016, one of the best-known for-profit colleges, ITT Technical Institute, closed its doors. And now various other well-known for-profit schools are under investigation. The good news is, students with federal loans might be eligible for student loan forgiveness if their school closes. But this doesn’t apply to those who’ve already completed their programs. Students whose schools are still open might also find that their credits don’t transfer to other universities the way they hoped. This is an issue if they intend to seek a transfer or a higher degree later. This is an area the government is starting to crack down on to protect prospective students.

Reactions: 1 user

For-profits may sound like a good option for someone who doesn’t have the time or money to attend a four-year college or university. However, the price tag could set you back far more. Tuition and fees for a public two-year, in-district school are $3,520, according to College Board For a public four-year, in-state school it’s $9,650. And for a for-profit college — it’s $16,000. Still think your local four-year college is too expensive? You can look at the costs overall for an even better understanding of how expensive for-profit colleges are. ProPublica shares the average cost of an associate’s degree in 2012 at a for-profit university was $35,000. For an associate’s degree at a comparable community college? Only $8,300.

If you’re going to spend more, you should receive a higher quality education, right? Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work out that way. The average for-profit college spent $2,050 per student on instruction in 2009. But a public college spent $7,329 per student. How does the student fare in this scenario? Not well. According to a study of more than 30 for-profit colleges, 54 percent of students who were enrolled in 2008-09 had dropped out by mid-2010. Students aiming for a two-year degree fared even worse, with a 64 percent dropout rate.

So for-profit schools cost more than most other schools and less is spent on students’ instruction. But what happens after you graduate? According to recent data, you might actually earn less than you did before you attend a for-profit school. Fortune reported: “Researchers out of George Washington University and the U.S. Department of the Treasury looked at income and debt data from about 1.4 million students to determine the effects on those graduating from for-profit universities…They found that ‘on average associate’s and bachelor’s degree students experience a decline in earnings after attendance, relative to their own earnings in years prior to attendance,’ according to a summary of the report published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.” No one goes to college with the intent of earning less afterward. So how is it possible that this investment goes so negative with some for-profit college graduates?

Because the job placement rates for-profit colleges advertise are not always accurate. These numbers are often inflated and don’t necessarily include work found in your field. If you decided to get a for-profit education for a degree in massage therapy, but end up working at Home Depot, then that could count as a “placement.” Sound crazy? Read a few of the stories in this article by New America to find out just how prevalent this is. 5. Your school might close and credit transfers might be hard Let’s say you’re already attending a for-profit school and, all of a sudden, your school closes. With for-profit colleges, this is not infrequent. In fact, in the fall of 2016, one of the best-known for-profit colleges, ITT Technical Institute, closed its doors. And now various other well-known for-profit schools are under investigation. The good news is, students with federal loans might be eligible for student loan forgiveness if their school closes. But this doesn’t apply to those who’ve already completed their programs. Students whose schools are still open might also find that their credits don’t transfer to other universities the way they hoped. This is an issue if they intend to seek a transfer or a higher degree later. This is an area the government is starting to crack down on to protect prospective students.

Let me preface by saying I do not support 99.9% of for profit schools, however, in terms of OT programs, I do support West Coast OT Program (as of right now). First, West Coast OT program is actually "affordable" compared to other private non-profit schools. With tuition at only $83,000 for a 2 year program that is way more affordable than **cough cough USC. Of course this price tag does not include the insane amount of interest you'll pay but it is STILL way cheaper than USC, Washington St. Louis, Boston U. Secondly, the faculty, staff, and resources that they give you at West Coast is top notch. I was a bit surprised because like mentioned in the article most for profit schools spend less money on the actual education part. This is not the case at West Coast. Their faculty and staff is incredibly supportive and helpful. They really value you as a student and therefore, your money is well spent here.

Of course, ideally, I would advocate all those to go to public state institutions to get your Masters in OT. Why? Because it is the MOST affordable option and the best way to keep your student debt levels to a minimum. However, I know it is not possible for everyone. ALOT if not all public state schools focus on students "stats". Typically, only those with the best of the best stats will get in. In addition, most public state schools do not have interviews for their programs. Cal State Dominguez Hills in CA does not have any personal statements or interviews in their application process, so how is one with "low" stats suppose to get into an OT program? They apply to West Coast, who interviews each qualified applicants. They don't judge you solely by your stats but take into account your personal journey to OT through your interview. Again, like I said I do not support 99.9% of for profit schools. West Coast OT Program is that .1% exception. This is mainly for those students who have a poor GPA but really really want to become an OT.

As for now, West Coast is a best bet for those who don't really do well with standardized test (i.e. GRE) and that have a lack luster cumulative GPA. In the event that West Coast were to raise their tuition to match their nursing program or USC OT program, I would have to change my thoughts and NOT recommend West Coast no matter how great their faculty/staff/program is. In the end, you want to get your education for as cheap as possible. If West Coast, USC, and Washington St. Louis were the only schools that you were accepted to go to the overall cheaper option.

My school is debt free cause the VA is paying for it.. so most of these don’t really apply. ‍♀️

Hi everyone,

I just heard from the last of the schools I applied to through OTCAS. I applied to 11 schools: Chatham, Sacred Heart, Thomas Jefferson, Touro, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, West Coast University in LA, Stony Brook, MCPHS, University of ST. Augustine for the Health Sciences, Hofstra, and D'Youville College.

I interviewed with Hofstra, but ultimately was not accepted. I was rejected from every other school I applied to. This is my first time applying to OT school. I have been busy finishing all the prereqs I need, and I plan to take the GRE again in April. I have 1000+ hours in inpatient rehab since I've been working as a rehab tech for about 3 years. My letters of recommendation came from a college professor, employer, and 2 OTs. My personal statement for OTCAS was well-received from those I had proof read it.

My cumulative GPA as it stands right now is what I believe is holding me back. It's currently a 2.70. Some of my prereq stats: Lifespan Development (A), Abnormal Psych (A), Gen Psych (A), Sociology (current), Neurokinesiology (B), Statistics (C, but plan to retake for higher grade), Anatomy 1 & 2 (taking this summer). My GRE scores are 147 for Verbal/Quantitative and 3.5 for my essay.

What should I do to improve my application? I want to believe I have a chance, but with my suckish stats and the increasingly competitive nature of OT programs, I feel like I'm up the creek and the paddle just broke. Am i aiming too high as far as the universities I'm applying to? Should I look into something doing else in another field? Should I take other classes unrelated to OT prereqs to add to my GPA? I've thought about COTA, but I think that with a bachelor's degree, I would be selling myself short. But maybe that could be my only shot of getting into the field? I simply hope that what I'm doing won't all be a waste of time/money if my chances of getting into school aren't going to improve.

My plan as it stands is to increase my GRE score to a competitive range (153+/4.0), continue taking/retaking my prereqs, and volunteering in different settings (Outpatient/Peds). I even planned on doing something like a mission trip.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem. My solution which worked well for me was to apply at schools that don't require OTCAS, which i think is a hideous system that is really just a way to vacuum money out of your account. It's a waste and a scam for about seven different reasons which I won't go into. Unless you're white bread rich kid that didn't have to pay any bills during undergrad school it's automatically slanted against you. class warfare at its finest.
So you are looking for schools that don't bother with OTCAS that have high acceptance rates. Many of these programs are easy to get into, but the caveat is that they will work you very very hard... if you want it bad enough, you'll do it and you will succeed. Suggestions of schools to check out. Chicago State, American International College in Springfield, Massachusetts, Texas Women's University or example. Baker College in Flint, Michigan might be another good try for you... apply your OT brain and creativity. Stop trying to fit into the round hole be your self in all of your nerdy OT glory.

I would try COTA if you want to go into the profession asap or take another year off to get more experience and retake all classes that you have below a B in. I know someone who was in the same situation as you and she is now in the OTA program at Philadelphia University. Another thing that would help, which a lot of people overlook is going to the school's info sessions because they can give you extra information about their program that may not be on their website. For example, Thomas Jefferson is competitive and straight up told us the exact cutoff for GRE scores. I did not have the cutoff, therefore I didn't even bother applying. So at least I saved myself a little bit of money on applying to schools. It's always good to apply early too! On UScience's website, they list that you must have at least a 2.7....This absolutely does not mean this school is easy to get into, because it's not. If you have a GPA below a 3.0 they will most likely expect your prereq grades to be stellar because schools want to make sure that you will be successful in their program. They also want to see a positive trend in your transcript (grades staying the same or going up over time). Going along with going to the school's info sessions, it is also really important that you know a good amount about the program and why it suits you. Not every school asks for a specific essay related to their program, but some do which could really help show your knowledge of the program and make you a stronger candidate. The UScience's admissions counselor said this was one of the biggest mistakes students made in their program-specific essay. They either showed that they knew very little about the program or the section was written poorly with only a few sentences.
What did Jeff say their cut off was for the GRE? I went to an info session and this wasn't mentioned.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

I think what held you back was the part of the OP I quoted above. Most schools (if not all) require Anatomy and Physiology (usually both with lab) are completed before applications are sent in and that they are no less than a B. So, I think you just applied prematurely. Your experience and LOR seem good and if you are confident enough, I'd say DON'T go the COTA route.

Don't fret. I'm in the same boat. This fall, I'll only be applying to schools that require the last 60 units only. Even if I got a 4.0 in all my prerequisite courses, my overall GPA will still be under 3.0, and schools that require a 3.0 minimum for overall GPA won't even look at your application (unless you specifically reached out to a school and ask them if they look at applications holistically... but then why would they require a 3.0 min ;P). So, before I apply to these schools that only look at the last 60 units, I just gotta have my Physiology with lab done before I apply and take the GRE for the first time.

Good luck!
Hello MrTL,
I was just wondering how your application process went? I'm in the same boat as you, as I am only looking at schools that require the last 60 units only.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello MrTL,
I was just wondering how your application process went? I'm in the same boat as you, as I am only looking at schools that require the last 60 units only.

I got into SJSU! Check out the SJSU thread from this past year when you get the chance! Feel free to DM me if you (or anyone) has any questions :)

Try applying to schools that are brand new. They are more likely to be accepting people with lower statistics. My friend had a low GPA (2.9) and got accepted into North Central and Lewis University because they are new programs and really looking to fill out their classes. Many people do not want to take a chance with a program that is not fully accredited yet, so you have better luck of getting in there. North Park university is starting a new OT program next year I believe, so maybe try to apply there too. Hope that helps, and best of luck! You can do it!!