General Admissions & OTCAS Rejected from all OT programs I applied to! What should i do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prospective OTR1092

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just heard from the last of the schools I applied to through OTCAS. I applied to 11 schools: Chatham, Sacred Heart, Thomas Jefferson, Touro, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, West Coast University in LA, Stony Brook, MCPHS, University of ST. Augustine for the Health Sciences, Hofstra, and D'Youville College.

I interviewed with Hofstra, but ultimately was not accepted. I was rejected from every other school I applied to. This is my first time applying to OT school. I have been busy finishing all the prereqs I need, and I plan to take the GRE again in April. I have 1000+ hours in inpatient rehab since I've been working as a rehab tech for about 3 years. My letters of recommendation came from a college professor, employer, and 2 OTs. My personal statement for OTCAS was well-received from those I had proof read it.

My cumulative GPA as it stands right now is what I believe is holding me back. It's currently a 2.70. Some of my prereq stats: Lifespan Development (A), Abnormal Psych (A), Gen Psych (A), Sociology (current), Neurokinesiology (B), Statistics (C, but plan to retake for higher grade), Anatomy 1 & 2 (taking this summer). My GRE scores are 147 for Verbal/Quantitative and 3.5 for my essay.

What should I do to improve my application? I want to believe I have a chance, but with my suckish stats and the increasingly competitive nature of OT programs, I feel like I'm up the creek and the paddle just broke. Am i aiming too high as far as the universities I'm applying to? Should I look into something doing else in another field? Should I take other classes unrelated to OT prereqs to add to my GPA? I've thought about COTA, but I think that with a bachelor's degree, I would be selling myself short. But maybe that could be my only shot of getting into the field? I simply hope that what I'm doing won't all be a waste of time/money if my chances of getting into school aren't going to improve.

My plan as it stands is to increase my GRE score to a competitive range (153+/4.0), continue taking/retaking my prereqs, and volunteering in different settings (Outpatient/Peds). I even planned on doing something like a mission trip.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I hate to ask, but how do you feel about becoming a COTA?

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, I've filled out an application for a COTA program. But I haven't sent it in because I thought I could make OT work with what I've been doing. Is that just really naive of me? I just feel like the growth potential as a COTA is limited. I'd also be spending about 2 years working towards an associate's, and if I decided on going back for OT for my master's, I'd spend another two years in school at some point. I don't know if that would be worth it. I already have a B.S. in Exercise Science, and it's awful that I can't even use that to leverage my potential as a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I just wanted to say I am in the same boat right now!! This is my first time applying too and I've been rejected from 7 of the 8 schools I applied to so far. It is definitely discouraging but I think you should definitely keep pushing for masters! I have been considering OTA as well but I think at the end I would want to do a bridge program to become an OT which would ultimately take way longer than just taking a year off. My overall GPA is a 3.2 so I feel you on that part. But I've heard that schools like when you apply a second time because it shows you are super determined to make it work! Good luck to you :)

Hi everyone,

I just heard from the last of the schools I applied to through OTCAS. I applied to 11 schools: Chatham, Sacred Heart, Thomas Jefferson, Touro, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, West Coast University in LA, Stony Brook, MCPHS, University of ST. Augustine for the Health Sciences, Hofstra, and D'Youville College.

I interviewed with Hofstra, but ultimately was not accepted. I was rejected from every other school I applied to. This is my first time applying to OT school. I have been busy finishing all the prereqs I need, and I plan to take the GRE again in April. I have 1000+ hours in inpatient rehab since I've been working as a rehab tech for about 3 years. My letters of recommendation came from a college professor, employer, and 2 OTs. My personal statement for OTCAS was well-received from those I had proof read it.

My cumulative GPA as it stands right now is what I believe is holding me back. It's currently a 2.70. Some of my prereq stats: Lifespan Development (A), Abnormal Psych (A), Gen Psych (A), Sociology (current), Neurokinesiology (B), Statistics (C, but plan to retake for higher grade), Anatomy 1 & 2 (taking this summer). My GRE scores are 147 for Verbal/Quantitative and 3.5 for my essay.

What should I do to improve my application? I want to believe I have a chance, but with my suckish stats and the increasingly competitive nature of OT programs, I feel like I'm up the creek and the paddle just broke. Am i aiming too high as far as the universities I'm applying to? Should I look into something doing else in another field? Should I take other classes unrelated to OT prereqs to add to my GPA? I've thought about COTA, but I think that with a bachelor's degree, I would be selling myself short. But maybe that could be my only shot of getting into the field? I simply hope that what I'm doing won't all be a waste of time/money if my chances of getting into school aren't going to improve.

My plan as it stands is to increase my GRE score to a competitive range (153+/4.0), continue taking/retaking my prereqs, and volunteering in different settings (Outpatient/Peds). I even planned on doing something like a mission trip.

I wouldn't go for COTA. Just take this gap year to improve your app. Improve your GRE scores, and retake prereqs so that you have a 4.0 in those classes. If you can, try to take more classes so that you can bring that 2.7 to a 3.0 on OTCAS. There are also a lot of programs that are in the process of being accredited, so maybe look into applying to those programs if they're close to where you live. Good luck!

Hi I just wanted to say I am in the same boat right now!! This is my first time applying too and I've been rejected from 7 of the 8 schools I applied to so far. It is definitely discouraging but I think you should definitely keep pushing for masters! I have been considering OTA as well but I think at the end I would want to do a bridge program to become an OT which would ultimately take way longer than just taking a year off. My overall GPA is a 3.2 so I feel you on that part. But I've heard that schools like when you apply a second time because it shows you are super determined to make it work! Good luck to you :)

I agree! Keep pushing! I was rejected the first time I applied to every single school I applied to. I wasn't even asked to interview. I was working as a rehab tech so I had plenty of hours, but I knew that wasn't diverse enough. Try volunteering in different scopes of the field. Having various exposures really helps you stand out. Definitely retake the classes you don't have an A or B in. It really shows you care and it will only benefit you in the long run. Also, try getting help with your personal statement. Compared to my second PS, my first one was a joke. The second time around I had 3 new volunteer/shadowing experiences under my belt and a stronger PS. I was accepted in 5 of the 8 programs I applied to and am in my 2nd semester of OT school now :)
All that stress and hard work was worth it.

Don't give up!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
This is my second year applying, as I got denied to all schools last year so I feel your pain. Def re-take the classes and possibly get more shadow hours in other areas like you said. Schools like to see that you have hours in more than 1 setting. I haven't heard back from any schools yet, so I'm super scared but if I don't get in again I plan on doing COTA. Then doing a bridge program b.c hopefully I can find a place that will pay for my masters. But don't give up, keep pushing! Everything will work out one way or another. Good luck!

I would try COTA if you want to go into the profession asap or take another year off to get more experience and retake all classes that you have below a B in. I know someone who was in the same situation as you and she is now in the OTA program at Philadelphia University. Another thing that would help, which a lot of people overlook is going to the school's info sessions because they can give you extra information about their program that may not be on their website. For example, Thomas Jefferson is competitive and straight up told us the exact cutoff for GRE scores. I did not have the cutoff, therefore I didn't even bother applying. So at least I saved myself a little bit of money on applying to schools. It's always good to apply early too! On UScience's website, they list that you must have at least a 2.7....This absolutely does not mean this school is easy to get into, because it's not. If you have a GPA below a 3.0 they will most likely expect your prereq grades to be stellar because schools want to make sure that you will be successful in their program. They also want to see a positive trend in your transcript (grades staying the same or going up over time). Going along with going to the school's info sessions, it is also really important that you know a good amount about the program and why it suits you. Not every school asks for a specific essay related to their program, but some do which could really help show your knowledge of the program and make you a stronger candidate. The UScience's admissions counselor said this was one of the biggest mistakes students made in their program-specific essay. They either showed that they knew very little about the program or the section was written poorly with only a few sentences.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. Just to confirm are you sure you were declined at Sacred Heart? I was informed by them yesterday they won't make offers until two more weeks. Therefore, I think you still have hope. I also I know there are several schools that have rolling or March deadlines that haven't filled their classes (Creighton University,Drake University, Adventist Univesity, Flordia Univeristy, Messiah College, StanBridge). I would try applying to 2-3 of these schools and see what happens. Good luck!

Last edited:
Another thing you may want to consider is, if possible, getting a new job in a different setting that still relates to OT. A job is different than observation or volunteering because you 1) get to do it every single day and 2) get more training and learning opportunities. The work part of this is key- I think they see observation and volunteer hours as beneficial, but a job means that you have been responsible for certain things that you just can't get with observations or volunteering. These experiences will give you more ammo for re-writing your essay and to get fresh letters of recommendation if you'd like to get a new one.

I'd suggest trying to find a special recreation program for adults or children with disabilities and be a program aide or coordinator, find an independent living program for adults with disabilities and see if there are any job opportunities. Or, be a 1:1 aide at a school. Or an activity assistant at a memory care facility. I have been accepted to 2/3 schools I applied to and am still waiting on the 3rd and am sure that my diverse work experience is what did it for me- I don't have a perfect GPA and have a lower score on the math portion of the GRE (149, below the median for the schools I applied to).

Great advice given by everyone else.

You also might want to target unaccredited programs that have an interview process. That way you're more likely to get your foot in the door and impress in person - and get a feel for the program before taking a risk.

I saw you applied to MCPHS, which doesn't interview and has a GPA of 3.0 required. A school like Emory & Henry is in the same timeline to accreditation, has a GPA requirement of 2.75 and interviews. It may take more time to ferret out programs like this, but it should increase your acceptance chances.

I'm not sure if I would try unaccredited programs as I personally wouldn't want to spend 2-3 years in school and 60,000+ and not be able to even practice as an OT if the school did not receive accreditation. Being in the first class is extremely risky. Having said that, I wouldn't mind being part of a second "cohort" class like at Drake University, so you would find out in your first semester if the program receives accreditation. Hope that helps

Great advice given by everyone else.

You also might want to target unaccredited programs that have an interview process. That way you're more likely to get your foot in the door and impress in person - and get a feel for the program before taking a risk.

I saw you applied to MCPHS, which doesn't interview and has a GPA of 3.0 required. A school like Emory & Henry is in the same timeline to accreditation, has a GPA requirement of 2.75 and interviews. It may take more time to ferret out programs like this, but it should increase your acceptance chances.

I agree with others about getting your GRE scores up. Maybe consider applying to schools that don't require the GRE. I would aim for a 4.0 in every single class. Also, take "easy" classes to boost your overall OTCAS GPA. Since OTCAS breaks down your overall and science GPA individually, it is very likely that not having those anatomy classes done before applying impacted your acceptances.

I would also reach out to the schools you applied to and inquire about how you can improve. Really do you homework on each program and tailor your application to the type of student they want. If you get a few more hours in new settings, then that can help to strengthen your personal statement. Apply super early. If you get any interviews send hand written thank you cards to the admissions committee right after. Lastly, I found this presentation while doing my research that was invaluable to my application. It's a bit old, but the info helped me to stand out and get accepted.

Don't give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
SCHOOLS TO ADD to my prior list- Le Moyne College, University of New England, Tuoro College, Thomas Jefferson, Salus University. There are over 10 schools you can still apply to!

I'd try to get into a program that will be taking their first class in the fall. I typically wouldn't have gone for MCPHS because of that, but they are a health school and they are accredited in so many programs (PT, PA, NP, BSN, Optometry, etc) so I was willing to take a leap of faith because they know their ****. You could consider that if you don't want to wait and are willing to take a gamble - I've been researching OT schools since 2012, and not one of the schools that were in Candidacy status failed to receive Full Accreditation, while I've seen three or four schools that HAD full accred. get put on probation, and one fully lose accreditation. It's just a matter of research.

If you are NOT willing to take the risk, go become a COTA. Nothing wrong with it. It's 18mts to 2 years, relatively cheap, and you'll be making $50-60k a year easy. Plus you don't have to worry about any paperwork, or evals or anything, that will be a primary therapist's job (that's always a perk)

Reactions: 2 users
I respect her opinion, she has a good point. I do disagree about finding a school that is just starting this year.

Based on my research, there are over 120+ OT schools. I'm sure you can find one accredited program that will accept you or a program that is accepting their second "cohort" so you will find out in your first semester if they will be accredited. You can also talk to students from the first class regarding how the professors are and what they think about the curriculum. I still think the first cohort is too risky.

I'd try to get into a program that will be taking their first class in the fall. I typically wouldn't have gone for MCPHS because of that, but they are a health school and they are accredited in so many programs (PT, PA, NP, BSN, Optometry, etc) so I was willing to take a leap of faith because they know their ****. You could consider that if you don't want to wait and are willing to take a gamble - I've been researching OT schools since 2012, and not one of the schools that were in Candidacy status failed to receive Full Accreditation, while I've seen three or four schools that HAD full accred. get put on probation, and one fully lose accreditation. It's just a matter of research.

If you are NOT willing to take the risk, go become a COTA. Nothing wrong with it. It's 18mts to 2 years, relatively cheap, and you'll be making $50-60k a year easy. Plus you don't have to worry about any paperwork, or evals or anything, that will be a primary therapist's job (that's always a perk)

I agree with not applying to COTA school just yet. I suggest looking for schools that only look at the last 60 units next year. Perhaps your last 60 was stronger than your over all GPA. Schools I can think of are San Jose State University California, UW-Madison, and UIC. Apply to http://alliedhealth.ouhsc.edu/Prosp...rograms/MasterofOccupationalTherapy(MOT).aspx they only ask for a 2.5 GPA. There's also Emory and Henry College at only requires a 2.75 and LSU 2.8. APPLY EARLY your second time around. I highly recommend the online test program Target Test Prep for GRE quant. The written part is generally a formula memorize the pattern for argument essays and you'll get at least a 4. As for the word work that is just practice practice practice.

I think a strong personal statement should be a personal narrative that discusses your connection to OT and is distinctly unique about a success you have contributed to. OTCAS has no limit so take advantage of that, mine was about 1500 words roughly two and a half pages. In a brief paragraph, you should discuss what you struggled with that contributed to a low GPA address it upfront and how you have bettered yourself as a student since then. Personal statements for schools that don't interview are exceptionally important if not the most important piece of information. Take your time to write it and have multiple people who know you well edit it. If need be pay an editor for feedback.

Also, I suggest having hours across a variety of settings. Each more than 60 ours. If possible get a job at as a sped classroom assistant or at a nursing home faclity. This will give you many many hours of observation thats are applicable and relevant to OT.

I also recommend being really specific to your letters of recommenders. When I asked for my letters I provided a few things I was particularly proud of and gave them specifics. "Some of the other recommender's asked for evidence to help with writing the letter. I provided some points below that could be helpful. Two (one from you) professional letters of recommendation in support of my aptitude for graduate education and potential for professional growth and development in the field of occupational therapy They have expressed it would be useful to see your thoughts on my intellectual curiosity, communication skills, motivation, and analytical/quantitative skills" Try to get a letter from an employer, OT, and professor. This will give them a perspective of you in many settings.

If you are able go visit the schools when it's mid-semester ask to sit in on a class. Try to talk to admissions and or professors ask a few questions. Make yourself memorable. This will give you an edge since you won't just be another applicant. Send thank you emails. Keep the lines of communication open, brief and professional.

Finally, if you do decide to do COTA there are bridge programs. I also briefly considered being a COTA I recommend http://otaonline.stkate.edu/california/admissions/requirements-and-prerequisites/ since it's only 16 months. Something to consider about COTA is the lower cost of tuition and the ability to work as a COTA while later in a bridge program. Ultimately, I don't believe it's an ideal situation but not the worst either.

Last edited:
SCHOOLS TO ADD to my prior list- Le Moyne College, University of New England, Tuoro College, Thomas Jefferson, Salus University. There are over 10 schools you can still apply to!
I wouldn't recommend applying to Jeff with low stats... They do look beyond them, but you have to pass their first barrier. And Salus filled up pretty quickly last year if I remember correctly.

Hi everyone,

It could be possible that since you are planning to take a&p 1 AND 2 this summer, they thought it was too many outstanding credits? I know a lot of programs said on the website that you can only have X amount of credits outstanding (depending on each program) and with those both being sciences that could possibly be the main reason. for example I know that touro in manhattan said that they do not allow more than one outstanding science class at the time of application. so do NOT lose hope! gpa is not everything, and this is an incredible career that you will love forever. from personal experience, I didn't get into the schools I applied to last year, but I got more volunteer hours, better rec. letters, and revised my personal statement. also another piece of advise would definitely be to expand on the volunteer sites. you have plenty of hours but variation is what they are looking for. best of luck!!

I think what held you back was the part of the OP I quoted above. Most schools (if not all) require Anatomy and Physiology (usually both with lab) are completed before applications are sent in and that they are no less than a B. So, I think you just applied prematurely. Your experience and LOR seem good and if you are confident enough, I'd say DON'T go the COTA route.

Don't fret. I'm in the same boat. This fall, I'll only be applying to schools that require the last 60 units only. Even if I got a 4.0 in all my prerequisite courses, my overall GPA will still be under 3.0, and schools that require a 3.0 minimum for overall GPA won't even look at your application (unless you specifically reached out to a school and ask them if they look at applications holistically... but then why would they require a 3.0 min ;P). So, before I apply to these schools that only look at the last 60 units, I just gotta have my Physiology with lab done before I apply and take the GRE for the first time.

Good luck!

1. What is your last 60 credit hour GPA like?
2. If it is below a 3.7 go to community college and take courses which are relevant to OT school (aging courses, biochem, etc) Pre Req GPA should be 3.7ish
3. Apply to schools which look at your last 60 credit hour GPA: Eastern Washington Univ, Texas Woman's Univ., Western Michigan University come to mind
4. Pay the lowest you can for your OT school experience. Some of the schools you listed are among the most expensive degrees you can find (St Augustine comes to mind) and without significant financial or family ties to an area I see no reason to go to them.

I wish you the best of luck sir! If there is a will, there is a way.

Like many above already specified, research into schools that actually would give you a fighting chance. With similar stats, I personally went down the list of accredited schools in the US and applied to only schools that had a 3.0 recommendation, not required. Next, only apply to schools that grant interviews. Those schools are less stats oriented and once you're in the door, it would give you an opportunity to shine. You can retake classes at community college and bump up your prereq and last 60 unit GPA but overall GPA is hard to budge. It will be smart to work on the GRE as well to offset the lower GPA.

I personally would not address your academic performance in the essay unless you actually have a solid justification. Be prepare to address it in an interview but I would not highlight that blemish anymore than you need to. Spend your personal statement on how you are distinctively different and why you would make a good OT. Capitalize on your strength, not your weakness.

I understand that OTA route seems going backwards but that is only based on the degree. OTA still gets to do occupational therapy and are extremely hands on. What they cannot do is perform evaluation independently and any specialty they do have, the supervising OT needs it as well for them to execute. It is a viable option if you are not patient.

If you are willing to wait, take the time to strengthen your application and make sure to make it better. I remember the director of my program automatically rejecting applications because re-applicants did not change their personal statements the second time around. Though you got rejected this cycle, take it as an opportunity to grow and become better. May not feel like it but you'll end up exactly where you need to be.

Lat 60 credit hours - taking some at a comm college - is a fail safe route. Just take some classes, fix up your apps. Apply to those schools. bingo.

Don't lose hope OP, I was told MANY do not get in their first year...heck I couldn't even get into COTA school because of my out of state status. I was in the same boat last year, but I also applied to far less schools. My GPA was barely 3.0 before prereqs and prereq retakes, and my GRE scores couldn't get me in anywhere if my life depended on it (we're talking 140/140, 3.0). This time around, I had to rethink my whole strategy. If you want to try again next year, I would say:

1) Apply to as many programs as possible. Anywhere you think you may have a chance at is worth applying. (I applied to over 20!)

2) Apply as early as possible. Already having an OTCAS account from the previous year really helped speed things up as it saved and verified most of my documents for this round, so take advantage of that feature. Try to get at least half your applications out by early-mid September. Cannot stress this enough. I went to an info session once and they said they ONLY looked at the first 250 that apply. The rest of the 400 went straight to trash, no matter how good their stats were.

3) If GRE's are your weakness, look at every single school that does not require them. You'd be surprised how many are out there. I've noticed that as years pass, more programs are not requiring scores and have dropped them as recently as this year. Maybe more will let go of them next year!

As for the COTA route, I have a friend in OTA school now who has been rejected from OT for two consecutive years, has been a tech for 3-4 years and holds a bachelor's. She eventually wants to complete the bridge program while working as a COTA in a hospital that will PAY for her OT degree. I really don't think that's a bad plan.

Hi everyone,

USA is the easiest to get into. Ask the admission staff ways to improve your app. What USA campus did you apply to? USA and Dyouville are pretty expensive. Consider COTA too.

Your hours and work experience definitely sound competitive, I would just work to bring your GPA up to a 3.0 with extra classes since that is the minimum most of them require. Also, since you aren't taking anatomy until the summer, that may have been a factor, considering many of the schools start their programs in the summer. I think you'd have a much better chance applying next year when you have everything finished! Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting your OT career started:/ I have felt stuck recently as well on waitlists etc. I think people have the right idea with upping your GPA and reaching out to the schools that will give you info regarding what you can do to increase your chances (because I'm pretty sure USA won't give you that info from what I remember at the interview). Do you mind me asking which semester & location you applied to for St. Augustine?

Does applying very close to the deadline affect your chances of getting into a school?

Does applying very close to the deadline affect your chances of getting into a school?
I submitted my application at the end of August to a school whose deadline was Dec. 1. I received notice that I was accepted at the beginning of November, almost a month before their deadline. There was no priority deadline listed on their website, but they did suggest that you submit as early as possible. I think if there is a school that is your top choice, submitting earlier than later is only going to help your chances.

If the school has rolling admissions then YES it does affect your chances of getting in. I applied to a school a day before the deadline and got rejected. I know that my rejection was due to waiting so late because I spoke to the admissions director who told me that by the time I applied they had just finished sending out notifications for their last round of interviews. She said my application/stats was great and if I applied next year I'd have a good chance.

I also know a lot of people who got into "rolling admissions" programs with much lower stats simply because they applied immediately when application window opened.

In my experience, yes it does. Last year I applied late and was denied from 1 and waitlisted to my other 5. I was told by 2 schools, had I applied earlier, I probably would have gotten in, as their spots were filled by the time they got to my application.

Not sure if this is true, but I was told that most schools have the majority of their spots filled by end of December... I just found that out last month.

OT Admission Chances?
GPA: 3.4
pre req gpa: 3.6
GRE- 150Q, 149V
Observations- I have observed in an acute care hospital for 5o hours so far. School system for 30 hours and planning on observing in hand therapy.
Work Experience- Worked as a pt aide for about a year in a hospital.
Applying to: Augusta State University, Brenau University, Georgia State University, Alabama State University, St. Augustine, and Nova Southeastern.

I was in the same boat last year! I applied to 6 schools and got rejected from all. I even got an acceptance email from one school only to find out they sent the email to the wrong person. I was going to take this year to retake my pre reqs but I spoke with the admissions director at one of the schools I applied to and he told me at this point, retaking classes won't make much of a difference on my GPA since I have already graduated with my bachelors. He told me just to retake my GRE. I'm hoping that this year will be different but we'll see! Don't give up hope just yet!

I agree! Keep pushing! I was rejected the first time I applied to every single school I applied to. I wasn't even asked to interview. I was working as a rehab tech so I had plenty of hours, but I knew that wasn't diverse enough. Try volunteering in different scopes of the field. Having various exposures really helps you stand out. Definitely retake the classes you don't have an A or B in. It really shows you care and it will only benefit you in the long run. Also, try getting help with your personal statement. Compared to my second PS, my first one was a joke. The second time around I had 3 new volunteer/shadowing experiences under my belt and a stronger PS. I was accepted in 5 of the 8 programs I applied to and am in my 2nd semester of OT school now :)

Don't give up!!!!!

Where do you go to school now?? Could you let me know what your stats were when you got into 5 out of 8 OT programs?? I'm concerned my gre scores are holding me back from getting an acceptance after interviews.

Where do you go to school now?? Could you let me know what your stats were when you got into 5 out of 8 OT programs?? I'm concerned my gre scores are holding me back from getting an acceptance after interviews.

I go to Sacred Heart University. I am halfway through my second semester and I love it! :) To be honest, I felt like my GRE scores weren't good enough either. But I had plenty of experience working as a rehab tech and volunteering for multiple clinics. I also worked so much on my paper the second time around.

University: CSUN
Major: Kinesiology (BS) focus on Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.5-3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: V: 152 Q: 154 A: 3.5

Observation: 1000+ hours Outpatient Ortho Clinic
100+ hours Hand Therapy
20+ hours school-based
40 hours Outpatient Neuro Clinic

YES! It is always a good idea to apply as early as possible! You have a higher chance of getting in! Especially if your stats aren't stupendous. Usually by the deadline the school has already picked out students to fill the class leaving those applying later at a huge disadvantage. Especially if the school does rolling admissions which A LOT of OT programs do. Applying as early as possible and getting your OTCAS verified early is a huge advantage for any applicant.

I am in the same situation too. I am Socal based, so I am applying to all the Cali schools and three schools out of state in Arizona and Nevada (AT. Still, Touro, Midwestern). My overall GPA was also a 2.75 :(. My GRE stats are the same as yours, and I will be retaking it in August. At the moment I am retaking some prereq courses to boost the prereq GPA. It is looking bright at the moment, and I hope that the upward grade scale from my undergrad GPA to now will show the schools how much I have improved. Not going to lie but sometimes people just don't know what they want to do in their undergrad, but when you do that passion shines through. I told myself that I would reapply again if I don't get in the first round so don't get your hopes up! Here are my volunteer experiences for reference:

400+ hours in inpatient and outpatient rehab (both peds and geratric)
1000+ hours in-home behavioral therapy for children with Autism (current job)
100+ hours outpatient sports therapy (current)
I am thinking about volunteering at a nursing home, but that will happen after the first round of schools in 2018 if they don't accept me.

Like everyone said, "Hard work will pay off." Keep your head up :)!

Hi everyone,

I am in the same situation too. I am Socal based, so I am applying to all the Cali schools and three schools out of state in Arizona and Nevada (AT. Still, Touro, Midwestern). My overall GPA was also a 2.75 :(. My GRE stats are the same as yours, and I will be retaking it in August. At the moment I am retaking some prereq courses to boost the prereq GPA. It is looking bright at the moment, and I hope that the upward grade scale from my undergrad GPA to now will show the schools how much I have improved. Not going to lie but sometimes people just don't know what they want to do in their undergrad, but when you do that passion shines through. I told myself that I would reapply again if I don't get in the first round so don't get your hopes up! Here are my volunteer experiences for reference:

400+ hours in inpatient and outpatient rehab (both peds and geratric)
1000+ hours in-home behavioral therapy for children with Autism (current job)
100+ hours outpatient sports therapy (current)
I am thinking about volunteering at a nursing home, but that will happen after the first round of schools in 2018 if they don't accept me.

Like everyone said, "Hard work will pay off." Keep your head up :)!

Apply to schools that only look at last 60 hours. If your last 60 or prereqs suck redo them.

Idk if anyone else on the thread mentioned this, but I think one of the major reasons why acceptances didn't come your way is because you mentioned you haven't taken anatomy 1&2 yet. That is a major pre-req that schools look at in your PGPA. I think you will have a lot more opportunities if you pass A&P 1 and 2 with a good grade.

Hi everyone,

I feel the same way. Its so competitive. I just received my last rejection yesterday and felt so upset. But if this is something you truly want to do, then you just need to keep trying.

I'll be studying for the GRE because I feel like that's an area we can all improve on. I feel like the hours you have are awesome (much more than what others have). If you can take a few more courses maybe just at a local JC, you can look into applying to schools that only look at your last 60 units.

Don't give up!!!!!
Hi! I was wondering, how does it work to retake classes you got a low grade in but technically passed? Im having the same issue with a low end GPA (3.06 for undergrad, 3.8 prereqs) and am considering how to improve my chances to get into an OT program. Any other tips would be great, thanks. I’ve taken my psych & med term pre-reqs after graduation and also don’t really know how that would factor into my overall GPA. I’ve a bit lost and discouraged at this point.

Hi! I was wondering, how does it work to retake classes you got a low grade in but technically passed? Im having the same issue with a low end GPA (3.06 for undergrad, 3.8 prereqs) and am considering how to improve my chances to get into an OT program. Any other tips would be great, thanks. I’ve taken my psych & med term pre-reqs after graduation and also don’t really know how that would factor into my overall GPA. I’ve a bit lost and discouraged at this point.

Short answer: You re-take the classes.
Longer answer: Contact the schools you are applying to and ask how they consider coursework which you re-take, if at all.

Your best bet is schools that let you re-take courses and schools that ONLY look at your last 60 GPA hours. Yep, you can get in with a 2.5 as long as your last 60 credit hours are near a 4.0.

Short answer: You re-take the classes.
Longer answer: Contact the schools you are applying to and ask how they consider coursework which you re-take, if at all.

Your best bet is schools that let you re-take courses and schools that ONLY look at your last 60 GPA hours. Yep, you can get in with a 2.5 as long as your last 60 credit hours are near a 4.0.
Thanks! I actually just contacted the OTCAS and asked how they factor in repeat and they said that they just enter in every course and grade received so it would basically be the average between all attempts--in case anyone else was wondering too! Ahh so stressful. From what I've seen so far, only SJSU looks at the last 60 units and majority of places look at overall GPA. Do happen to you know of any other programs that take the GPA of the last 60 units? Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I actually just contacted the OTCAS and asked how they factor in repeat and they said that they just enter in every course and grade received so it would basically be the average between all attempts--in case anyone else was wondering too! Ahh so stressful. From what I've seen so far, only SJSU looks at the last 60 units and majority of places look at overall GPA. Do happen to you know of any other programs that take the GPA of the last 60 units? Thanks in advance!
West Coast University in Los Angeles also looks at the last 60 units

oh okay, thanks!

Advise you to look elsewhere. West Coast is a *for profit* school. I think for profit programs are a bad idea. A number of public schools look at the last 60 credits: Wayne State University, Western Michigan, Eastern Washington University. Western Michigan even offers in state tuition to those who attend at the Grand Rapids campus. Sure, it's cold, but it's top tier, and among the cheapest programs out there.

I wouldn't knock West Coast just because it's for profit. The majority of the staff graduated from USC and are very knowledgeable. I attended a few information sessions and the dean, professors, and students are so passionate, excited, and helpful. Over my years of volunteering I got to know quite a few level II FW students who said that they felt they received the individual attention and hands on experience they needed to become a good OT. West Coast also has a high retention rate and NBCOT pass rate. It is expensive, about $86k for the program. There are cheaper programs. But just like how you wouldn't want to be crossed off the list of a school because a lower gpa, I wouldn't write off schools just because they are for profit. Take the time to research every option and see what is right for you.