Rejected today!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awww...sorry Andrew...

Don't worry...I'll be posting many more rejections that will be all mine!!!!
You just wait!

Damn! I've been following the progress of the members of SDN, and I feel like your letter of rejection is mine as well. Damn...Damn...Damn!!!!!

Andrew, you can share my letters of rejection as soon as they arrive. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew,

May I join the boat? I got rejected from ETSU a few days ago. They didn't even wait for my Aug. MCAT scores!! But then again, maybe I was rejecting ETSU in my subconscious the whole time (did I just write a bunch of jibberish or did it make sense?)

Anyways, don't worry Andrew. I'm expecting more rejections any day now...

:) :)

Kutastha,

I don't mean to rub salt in your wounds, but:

1. Did you get a secondary?
2. What were your stats?

The only reason why I ask is that I am from Miami and I haven't heard yet.

Don't worry Andrew. I hear Miami takes few out of staters so it's probably the residency thing that screwed you and not your stats.

Thank you for the kind words everyone, but this is my 56th rejection letter and I must say I'm tired of being told about the 'highly qualified applicants' that I'm not one of.

Originally posted by MiamiMarmot:
•Kutastha,

I don't mean to rub salt in your wounds, but:

1. Did you get a secondary?
2. What were your stats?

The only reason why I ask is that I am from Miami and I haven't heard yet.•

1. Nope

2. ug: 3.3, grad: 3.5, MCAT: 11V, 12P, 13B.

Andrew

56th rejection? How is that possible with those MCAT scores? What schools did you apply to?

I'm sorry. It is very early in the application process. Good luck.

Aw, Andrew, I feel for you. :( But don't worry & don't let it get you down. It is WAY too early in the process to get bummed out about one little rejection letter. Look at it this way, what's the difference between 55 rejection letters and 56? It's only going to be the first Acceptance letter that you will really remember in ten years!

I remember reading your application story before and the adcoms would be fools not to accept you this time around. Stay strong and I'm sure things will be turning around for you very, very soon. :)

Andrew,

Is there something else besides the rather low GPA (please don't take that the wrong way) that could be keeping you out? Or is it the GPA?

Note: my 55 other rejections are from previous application cycles.

Thanks for the query ken, but my story's been told on SDN so many times, it's probably getting boring. In a nutshell, I'm just that average California applicant.

Andrew

I am reminded of something my grandmother used to tell me when things seemed to go wrong after a hard days/years worth of effort...

"Even when you fall on your face, you're still falling forward."

You may not have fallen on your face, but you're still moving forward toward a wonderful career. I wish you the best and don't let it get you down, it's the one or twenty acceptance letters that will make this all worth while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel bad, miami gives a huge preference for florida residents. you really don't have a chance if you arent a resident

Last i checked, ALL florida schools only take instate residents. I think i saw one of the schools, maybe south florida, that had 99 % instate. This is probably the reason if you're a CA resident.

I just don't get it!
MCAT:36 could not get you in. Unbelievable!

The GPA is not high, but you can get that kind of GPA with a competitive schools like Harvard or Yale easily. You can get 3.9 or even 4.0 with many other schools.

How do the medical school balance this? I mean a lower GPA from top schools and a higher GPA from other schools. Or do they make no differences, 4.0 is better than 3.6?

Help me out, please.

Hello everyone and thanks again for the well-wishes.

Just to let you know, I'm not down about this. I was just posting regarding the rejection letter. I've received many, and this is just the first one for this year's cycle. However, I am sending a response to them.

As for the questions regarding my GPA, for those interested, I started out undergrad as a biophysics major and after two years (and a 2.9 GPA), I switched into a non-premed based major of Chem/Biochem. I improved my GPA the rest of those years (and yes, I discussed this in my PS), applied with a 29 on the MCAT, got rejected 25 times. Then I got an MS in chem and a 34S and got rejected 30 times (without a single interview both times). Since then I have been going to USC for a doctorate and you saw my MCAT from there and have loads of extracurriculars. So, I'm not dejected, I just realize these people are crazy.

Andrew

Okay, kuthasa, sounds like in previous cycles you've applied to a craplaod of schools without much luck...have you ever thought of focusing on a particular school (say USC, since you're doing work there) and getting to know an influential member of their faculty really well (if I learned one thing about applying for med school, its that its ALL ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW)???

Also, you could look into setting up a pre-application appointment with the school's admissions committee (or a representative) where you would go over your application with them and figure out what about your app. is unappealing to the school (i.e. a 'red flag').

Just some suggestions...hope things work out for you.

Honestly, I wouldn't feel bad about the Miami rejection--they are known for rejecting most if not all out-of-staters. My MSAR for 1998 has they them enrolling less than 10 out-of-staters.

Andrew - DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED - Your dream will come true this year. Keep your head up, and keep at it.

Andrew,

Don't dwell on the past. It sounds like you have a fabulous file this year ... and I'd be willing to bet that you get in this year.
My only concern would be that med schools like to see graduate work completed before you start their program ... But I think I remember from your other posts that you're about done with your Ph.D.
It's way too early for this year for anyone to jump to conclusions about their chances.

You're right though ... that this is a crazy process with some crazy people running it. It's far too subjective for my liking ... but what're ya gonna do? ... just go through it with as much grace as you can muster.

Good luck, hang in there and beleieve me I share your frustrations!

Damn, these schools ARE crazy not to take you!!! Did you apply to a range or did you apply to just the top-notch ones?
Don't give up, its not the matter IF you get get in, rather WHEN you get in! I bet you will get tons of acceptances this cycle!
Good luck!

Thanks everyone. If I've learned anything through my research, it's to have patience and certainly to not get discouraged. Once again, I posted this because I believe it was the first 'official' rejection letter on SDN - and who better to get it! :)

I cannot reiterate this enough - I am not saddened, nor upset nor displeased in any way about this rejection letter - and you should not be if, God forbid, you get letters of rejection as well. Now, if I get 24 similar letters, then there'll be a fresh can of whoop ass being emptied.

I have composed the following letter to send to U of Miami:

To Whom It May Concern:,

Thank you for your letter of September 21. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a position in your medical school at this time. In recent years I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite the University of Miami's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, next Fall I will assume a position in the class of 2006. I look forward to seeing you then. Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,

Andrew

hehe ... Excellent Letter :D :D :D

rough situation, but you still have plenty of schools left to hear from, so keep your head held high. persistence means everything in this process.

your numbers are totally solid, so they're not the problem. should you not be accepted during this application cycle, my advice for you would be for you to MOVE OUT OF CALIFORNIA! CA residents are at such a disadvantage in this process because it's such an uphill climb for them. with your stats, you'd have your choice of schools to attend if you lived in another state. it's a drastic change, i know, but i'm so sure it would pay off for you. you'd probably have your PhD by then so you won't be tied to your graduate program anymore.

my significant other was in the same boat a couple of years ago. solid stats, applied to 20 schools, one whole interview, no acceptances (WA resident, which has only one med school that happens to be ranked highly and is thus ultra-competitive). pre-med advisor at our college said to move to IL. lo and behold, multiple acceptances the second time around, with virtually no change in stats, ECs, etc. yes, it's just anecdotal evidence, but your state of residency means too much in this process to take lightly.

just something to consider....

Jai Guru!

Are you an SRF member? Don't worry Andrew, guruji is watching over you. I got into medical school this time around, and it wasn't easy. I think you'll do better this time around. Your MCATS are just too high. Good luck.

Nik

ROFLMAO!!! Oh Andrew, this letter is beautiful!!! I think I'm going to have to print this out and frame it. :D

Add my words of support to the others here...your stats look fine to me (I'd *kill* for your MCAT scores) and your posts show you to be well-rounded and excellent at communications. If you don't get accepted this time around it can only be because all of the admissions people have been replaced by aliens. :eek:

Best wishes! I'm waiting to hear about those *acceptance* letters you get soon! :cool:

Raina

Hey Andrew real funny letter; I like it. Have you completed your PhD program? If you have not, then that is the reason you have been rejected so many times. Med schools dont like pulling students out of their graduate programs. It really screws the programs up and spoils their investment in the student. It will be hard to get into any med school even if one had a 43 MCAT but was midway through a PhD program. I didnt pull the number 43 out of my behind. I have a non-Cali friend who was in this position a few years back. You predicament might have been worsened by your Caliness but it is by no means the sole causative factor. Freaking STANFORD has ONLY a 32 MCAT average for crying out loud; and UCSF as well as UCLA probably have even lower averages (though I'm not too sure). In any case 36 is >98%ile and only a hand full of any Cali school entering class has such a score. It aint the Caliness! Good luck ma friend

Thank you Original. I applied first in 1995 in my senior year in college. I applied again in 1996 in my one-year MS program. I started grad school in 1997, will graduate in May and am applying for August.

And yes Nik, I've been an SRF member since '93.

Andrew