Rejecting an acceptance if I can't defer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lola21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
There may be a thread for this already but I can't find it, so:

I'm a Texas resident and I matched (was accepted) at my first choice school, UTMB. However, for various reasons, I know that it would not be a good idea for me to matriculate in the fall, which was not clear to me when I was applying last summer. UTMB's website states that they don't routinely defer admission, so essentially I have two questions:

1. For what reasons has UTMB deferred admission, historically (if anyone here has experience with the school)?
2. What are the consequences of rejecting acceptance and applying again? Other than the obvious fact that some specific interviewers at the Texas schools may remember me, is there any way the schools would know that I already applied (do they keep records)? How would this look (would it negatively affect their evaluation of me)?

I'm very grateful to have been accepted, and it was a long road getting here. This is a difficult choice for me to make so I want to be as informed as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just call their admissions and explain you situation?

Reactions: 1 user
Part of it is that I'm trying to be careful here: I'd rather not go into details, but the reason I need to defer is largely psychological. I don't want to raise those kinds of red flags and then have them reject my acceptance. I feel like I just need to time to work my situation out.

I suppose, then, that that's another question: have you ever known anyone whose acceptance was retracted based on something they said in a deferral request?

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of it is that I'm trying to be careful here: I'd rather not go into details, but the reason I need to defer is largely psychological. I don't want to raise those kinds of red flags and then have them reject my acceptance. I feel like I just need to time to work my situation out.

I suppose, then, that that's another question: have you ever known anyone whose acceptance was retracted based on something they said in a deferral request?
Call them anyway.

Reactions: 6 users

If you aren't ready for med school then you're not ready. I would imagine a good amount of programs will accept a deferral request if it is warranted. They would rather you not be a danger to yourself and/or classmates, drop out, etc. If your request isn't illegal or unreasonable, I don't see why they would retract your acceptance.

Look dude, the only way you can solve this is by communicating with your school. No anecdotal evidence will help you practically solve this. Sit down and think of an eloquent and articulate way to explain your reasons. Remember, you have a right to privacy regarding health matters. Call the school and communicate. They will be empathetic with you. They aren't in the business of ****ing people over. They aren't some monster just looking for any reason to reject you. If they accepted you, they actually want you there. Bite the bullet and be an adult about this. Talk to the school, take responsibility for - and control of - your life.

Reactions: 5 users
My bf turned down match from this school. He didn't defer but he did get two interviews and one acceptance again this year.

That's all I can answer really. Good luck!

My bf turned down match from this school. He didn't defer but he did get two interviews and one acceptance again this year.

That's all I can answer really. Good luck!
whaaaat.

He had hiss reasons too but he didn't choose to defer. He did apply two years later, and the two schools that didn't interview him the first time, did this time lol. So I could venture a guess that the schools you interviewed at probably won't give you another chance

Just say for medical reasons you need to defer

Hi everyone,
There may be a thread for this already but I can't find it, so:

I'm a Texas resident and I matched (was accepted) at my first choice school, UTMB. However, for various reasons, I know that it would not be a good idea for me to matriculate in the fall, which was not clear to me when I was applying last summer. UTMB's website states that they don't routinely defer admission, so essentially I have two questions:

1. For what reasons has UTMB deferred admission, historically (if anyone here has experience with the school)?
2. What are the consequences of rejecting acceptance and applying again? Other than the obvious fact that some specific interviewers at the Texas schools may remember me, is there any way the schools would know that I already applied (do they keep records)? How would this look (would it negatively affect their evaluation of me)?

I'm very grateful to have been accepted, and it was a long road getting here. This is a difficult choice for me to make so I want to be as informed as possible.
If you're really worried call them anonymously and ask the question hypothetically. I don't see why they wouldn't let you defer for medical reasons.

Also, if you reapply instead of deferring, TMDSAS will have you list all the schools you've previously applied to, so they'll know exactly where you applied before. Even if you get an interview with a different person the second time around, they'll know you're a re-applicant.

Call UTMB. Don't back yourself into a corner thinking that discussion isn't going to go well. Don't avoid calling them because you think you know what their answer will be. I know it's easier said than done, but in this case it has to be done.

For anyone reading this thread in the future:
I did indeed take the advice of these great people who have commented and the school was very understanding of my medical issues. I was granted a one-year deferral!
Again, my thanks!
-Lola

Reactions: 12 users
Thanks for writing back with the update! You did the right thing and got a great outcome :)

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone reading this thread in the future:
I did indeed take the advice of these great people who have commented and the school was very understanding of my medical issues. I was granted a one-year deferral!
Again, my thanks!
-Lola
Congrats