1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Rejecting students they know won't attend their school...

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by senzabee, Jul 25, 2006.

1. senzabee

senzabee Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I was reading people's comments about what schools were easy to get into, and some where saying that although USN is "easy", some smart kids with degrees weren't granted an interview there (but got interviews elsewhere at better schools :eek: ).

Do you guys ever wonder if schools will reject you because they think you're too good of a candidate? Like, they know that you're applying to their program as a back up and that it would be a waste to admit you because you're just going to reject their offer anyways.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PharmacistApril

PharmacistApril Pre-Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Yes and no I believe that can be true in a way ex. When I worked in Human Resources we rejected applicants because they were over qualified and they might become unhappy with the position down the line. Then again a candidate can have the best grades and they are not as "well rounded" as other applicants who have a lower gpa ex 3.5-.....

4. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Sadly I wont have to worry about that... :( I dont think you can be overqualified for Pharm School though. They truly do want the best of the best. If you dont attend a particular school - dont feel bad for them, they have somebody else with similar stats just waiting for a call on the waitlist.

Just my .02

5. Smilescali

Smilescali Almost there...
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Not a chance. My point was (in the other thread) that USN is NOT an easy school to get into. They offer interviews based on points...the more points you have the more likely you are to get an interview, so the higher GPA you have, the higher number of points you will get...hence the more likely you will be granted an interview.

I have a 4.0 GPA, own my own business, do tons of charity work and USN didn't view me as over qualified. I interviewd early and was granted an early admission. My friends obviously didn't have enough points (based on their GPA's) to make USN's interview cut..., but yes they were granted interviews at so called "better" schools....USN looks mainly at your academic record and interview/communication skills. :)

6. Swanchick84

Swanchick84 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Regarding USN-
    I'm from CA and my parents encouraged me to apply to USN b/c they have property next to the school. I went to Nevada with my parents and visited USN and got to talk to a pharmacy admissions counselor. We talked about the curriculum, school and such. She then asked me where I was taking my prerequsites. I told her at UCLA and that I would be getting my bachelor's. She then asked me my GPA, and knowing that the avg GPA for USN is ~3.7, I reluctantly said 3.2.

You know what the admissions lady said to me?

"Ohhh, you should take your courses at Petterson (referring to a community college)."

I'm not discrediting community colleges, b/c I'm going to one right now to retake a few pre-requsites. But come on! We all know that level of difficulty of courses is much tougher at 4-year universities.

Why does USN do this? It has to do with their grading system. They don't have grades. They only have P/NP. However, to pass, you have to get a 90% or above in all your courses. With this type of grading scale, the best way they can evaluate your success at USN is through GPA.

So folks...choose your schools wisely.

7. Seveneighty

Seveneighty ego sum venenum
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Don't think this is the case, as it would be absolutely ridiculous.

"This guy/girl? Too qualified, they'll never go to our P.O.S. school. Knock this genius off the list and let's see if the next candidate is mediocre enough for us!"

8. senzabee

senzabee Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    haha.

And I never did imply that I think USN is an easy school. I nearly used it as an example from the blog about easy schools and that other people mentioned it was easy, and I wondered if you would get rejected from "easy" schools in general for those reasons. Of course there are reasons other than grades that a 4.0 genius wouldn't get an interview offer and each school has different criteria or things they are looking for.