Rejection Rationale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scattered1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rejection is a part of life and we all are going to face it in one way or another. My question is what's the most asinine or weird rationale you've heard for being rejected?

It doesn't have to pertain strictly to the professional realm. It can be any type of rejection even romantic rejection.

I'll start it off:

Being rejected from a program b/c I took the classes one at a time. (I was also working full time also.) They weren't sure I could handle the curriculum. No mention of test scores, gpa, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are we extending this to rejection for lovin from our spouse??

Rejection is a part of life and we all are going to face it in one way or another. My question is what's the most asinine or weird rationale you've heard for being rejected?

It doesn't have pertain strictly to the professional realm. It can be any type of rejection.

I'll start it off:

Being rejected from a program b/c I took the classes at a time. (I was also working full time also.) They weren't sure I could handle the curriculum. No mention of test scores, gpa, etc.
I was rejected from a college offering physics in the evening due to my foreign undergraduate transcript not saying "math 101" on it. LOL. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the one medical school that rejected me pre-secondary to find out what they felt was weak about my app. The lady put me on hold for a while, then came back and said, "I don't really know why you were rejected, and no, I don't have any idea how you could improve your app."

I also called a highly academic residency program that rejected me, again to find out what they felt was weak about my app. The lady took down my name and number and said she'd get back to me. I was thinking, "yeah, right." The next day, she calls me back and says, "We would like to invite you to come interview. When can you come?" No reason for the prior rejection was given--it was like it had never happened.

Q, clearly the first school just didn't want you to show them up... They were worried you'd make the professors seem dim... ;)

Q, clearly the first school just didn't want you to show them up... They were worried you'd make the professors seem dim... ;)
The irony here is that, initially on paper, that school was my number one choice. Had they accepted me early on, I likely would have withdrawn everywhere else. Instead, I wound up attending a med school which I interviewed at late in the season (and after having almost canceled that interview altogether). It ought to be a lesson to me, because the same thing happened for residency. My initial top two choices both turned out to be kind of disappointing in person, and another program where I almost canceled the interview wound up being my top choice. :hungover:

I wish my life were going to be decided in such a manner... ;)