Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a rejection letter from Mayo after the entire process with recommendation letters and a phone interview. In a very succinct manner, they let me know that my application "will no longer be considered." Although when applying to all these schools, I did not believe I will be accepted into all of them, the idea of being rejected did not enter my head either. Thus, rejection hurts:( . I feel like this is only the beginning and that soon, I will be bombarded with rejection letters. What if I don't get in anywhere? Geez. This is depressing.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry until the fat lady sings. You have a long way before it's all over. Hopefully you picked different tier medical schools to apply too. Mayo is a competitive school. Don't let that get you down.

Even the best students get rejected from some where. It's a strange and often random process. This happens in residency applications too. I got interviews at Harvard, Hopkins, and Wash U, but Oregon and Duke wouldn't look at me.

When I applied to medical school, Cornell rejected me but Columbia accepted me... go figure.

I always have a backup plan too. If medical school failed, I was going to get a PhD and become a prof. There's many interesting fields to go into. Just have to set your heart to it.

ah, wannabe...very sorry! :(

When did you have your phone interview?

I just got another rejection today..totalling 3. Did you get a positive or negative reaction after your phone interview? Mine seemed quite positive, but if everyone gets positive, then I will reject that idea...They told me that 10 days after they recieve my letters I will know....so I'm waiting.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I know how you feel. I got that rejection after phone interview last year. The whole process is very random and unpredictable, so don't take it too personally. There are just too many qualified applicants for the available slots, so rejections are just an inevitable part of this process. I'd hardly say getting rejected from Mayo, one of the most competitive programs in the country, is a harbinger of total rejection. So, chin up -- your day will come!! :)

that part about knowing that you will get rejected by some but it not really entering your mind is soooo true.

can't really say much except good luck with the rest of your schools, and mayo only has a class size of 40 (probably all with PhDs :p )

SMW,

what was your feeling after the phone interview? Mine was overtly positive, due in no small part to feedback given.

wannabe,

when were you completed? etc?

I got my 3rd reject today...I am feeling very very very low and small right now...........................still sending in secondaries, and waiting on my committee to interview me and get a letter to send..I think I may just circumvent them soon...

:( :( blitz :( :(

Blitz,

I got my phone interview on the first Friday of September. My recommendations were sent in about two weeks ago and I got my rejection letter this past Monday. Although I didn't feel particularly good about the interview, my interviewer was really warm towards me. I hope this helps :)

Thanks for all the good advice guys!!!

I got another interview request and am using that to keep my self-esteem afloat for now.