Rejections :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Imtiaz,
thanks for the encouragement. I already have the Kaplan MCAT study book! When I said overweight, I should have been forthright and said morbidly obese (to use a medical term
smile.gif
) but it doesn't affect me doing most things (other than squeezing into desks and booths!) I could lope down a hall for CPR, tho slower than others...I really hope it doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Argh, Pritzker gave me the boot today. I'm still in the game at WashU, UIC, GWU, Chicago Med, and MCP. No interviews yet either. I've heard that the Chicago campus at UIC is already full, anybody that can confirm that?

------------------
Imtiaz
----------------------------------------------------------------
I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminately across race, class, and gender lines, and written on the blood that keeps the beast alive.
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter, and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Imtiaz...but it does look like they're full in Chicago. On the bright side, Rockford is apparently a lot better than most people give it credit for, so keep an open mind! I'm a longtime lurker, and I'm pulling for you along with everyone else! Good luck!

banalander

[This message has been edited by banalander (edited 02-03-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, that really stinks. I already have a research advisor at the Chicago campus. I won't get in to MD/PhD right from the start but they're really lenient about letting people in a year or two into the medical cirriculum. I'm sure I can pull that off. I can't go to Peoria or Rockford, it would completely f**k things up. If I go to Chicago I can just take the shuttle bus to the UIC campus and keep continuing my research. This way, by the time I devote the majority of my time to research, I'll already have a good foundation laid out. What's the deal with the Chicago campus opening up? Are the odds good/bad/impossible? Anybody know?

------------------
Imtiaz
Passed indiscriminately across race, class, and gender lines, and written on the blood that keeps the beast alive.
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter, and a federal crime.
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

I just tuned into this discussion, so excuse my ignorance if I am incorrect, but...is it your intention to continue doing research while you are in med school in hopes of being granted an MD/PhD position? If it is, are you confident that you would be able to handle something like that?

In addition, I didn't know that current med students could be admitted to MD/PhD programs. I thought you had to be accepted right off the bat. Is that true for other med schools or just Chicago? Thanks.

Hi KMorris3,

Don't worry about whether or not I can handle stuff. But to answer your question, yes I think I can handle doing a little research on the side. (I don't mean to be terse with you, but when you question my educational strategy when I didn't specifically ask for advice on it, it's a bit intrusive). I have several med student friends who use their spare time to devote to their research. I'm not planning on doing research full time during the first two years of med school, just whenever I can get around to it.

Second, yes, MD/PhD programs will let medical students who have proven themselves join their programs. I don't know about every single school in the USA, but I know of at least three that do. 1)Chicago Med, 2)UIC, and 3)GWU. Not a lot of people are willing to spend 3 or 4 yrs extra to get a PhD, that's why your tuition is waived and you get a stipend on top of it. They need people. I know that if I get into UIC then I'll get into the MD/PhD program. There's no question about that.
smile.gif
The only thing remaining is to get into UIC med, and I'm still waiting on them. So we'll see. Nobody answered my question about the Chicago campus at UIC. See my previous post.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Thanks for the advice. I think I might ask about the MD/PhD. thing at my school.

FYI: I'm not sure why is it intrusive to ask about something you voluntarily made public knowledge. I don't think I was questioning your "educational strategy," but rather giving you a subtle reminder of the demands of medical school. I just hope I can handle the med school part; thus, I would be very impressed if you are still able to do research. Good luck with UIC.

What I know about Chicago is this...one of my friends interviewed/was accepted a little after Christmas...he sent in his site preference card immediately afterward, for Chicago, they sent the response back to him, giving him Urbana. He's fighting it, but from what he's been told by them, Chicago's been closed for some time now.
frown.gif
But hey, this story I'm recounting is just one person's experience. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Good luck.

Banalander

Hey KMorris3,

No problem man, I wasn't upset about it. I just didn't want you to think that I was asking a question like "I'm a loser who can't add two numbers, do you think I can be an MD/PhD" or some other stupid question like I've seen on these boards. I know that the medical cirriculum is rigorous, that's why I plan to use my spare time to do what I love, and that's research. I don't do what I do to impress anyone. I do it because I want to. Again, not to be rude, but it doesn't matter to me whether you're impressed with me or not. We all have to jump through hoops, ie. kiss ass, conform to standards, etc. to get where we want to get in life. I plan on stopping with the BS as soon as I'm set in my career. You'll always have the elitist people, and hopefully when our generation gets there, it's going to change. Thanks for the good luck. Again, I didn't mean to offend you with anything that I said, and I'm sorry if I did.

Originally posted by KMorris3:
Thanks for the advice. I think I might ask about the MD/PhD. thing at my school.

FYI: I'm not sure why is it intrusive to ask about something you voluntarily made public knowledge. I don't think I was questioning your "educational strategy," but rather giving you a subtle reminder of the demands of medical school. I just hope I can handle the med school part; thus, I would be very impressed if you are still able to do research. Good luck with UIC.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

You can't pick Urbana. The only choices for regular MD candidates are Chicago, Peoria, and Rockford. Peoria and Rockford have first year in Urbana, then relocation to the respective site. Urbana exclusively is reserved for MSTP. Keep me updated about the status of the Chicago campus, even though I'm not in (yet) if I do get in, I'll want to know what the deal is.

Originally posted by banalander:
What I know about Chicago is this...one of my friends interviewed/was accepted a little after Christmas...he sent in his site preference card immediately afterward, for Chicago, they sent the response back to him, giving him Urbana. He's fighting it, but from what he's been told by them, Chicago's been closed for some time now.
frown.gif
But hey, this story I'm recounting is just one person's experience. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Good luck.

Banalander

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

I just caught on to this discussion, and was surprised to hear that UIC-Chicago is full, since I interviewed on 1/16 and thought they told us that there were still spots open there. I had the opportunity to interview in Peoria in early Dec., but didn't want to make the drive, but I may come to regret that decision soon! Regardless, I still haven't been told my fate, since they told us we wouldn't be reviewed until this week or next.

As for the site preference, I don't think it is as simple as "first come, first served." They probably give Chicago spots to the Cook county residents who are "stronger applicants" first. FWIW, I've had friends in the past few years who didn't interview until spring, were waitlisted, and got into the Chicago site in May-June. You may be able to put yourself on a "waiting list" for the Chicago site, although it's doubtful.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm planning on writing a lengthy letter to them. I'm sure there's more consideration than first come first served. I hope so anyway.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Imitaz

I'm an M1 at the Urbana campus. Did you know that the MSP program that you are talking about is only located in Urbana? So if you were to get into Chicago, you wouldn't be able to do the program. Plus, I know you want to get into the Chicago campus, but don't overlook any of the other sites. I know it isn't Chicago, but Urbana offers a really good curriculum. They give a lot of personal attention here that is really helpful. It sounds to me like you think that you would get less of a medical education if you were anywhere but Chicago. They teach the same things no matter where you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Sorry for being unclear - my pal who I was referring to says that UIC wants to send him to Urbana for the first year. I think I mentioned that Rockford seems like a pretty good place, maybe better than most give it credit for - I got that idea from him. He really liked the idea of doing a few years there. At any rate, you guys may be right about the fact that it's not "first come, first served," though...he *is* a Cook County resident, but he did put in his 4 years at UIUC, so maybe that has something to do with his not getting Chicago. Somehow, that seems a little off to me, especially since he *is* a Chicago native, but really, I don't know all the details. Imtiaz, have you already interviewed with UIC, or are you still waiting on that? Either way, best of luck with your journey!
Keeping my fingers crossed for everybody,
Banalander

------------------

M1, yeah I know about the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) at Urbana. It consists of the entire medical education taking place at the Urbana site. The reason I want to go to Chicago is because I already have a research advisor there and I'm conducting research with that research advisor as we speak. If I enroll at Urbana, Peoria, or Rockford, this will not help my cause because I will be extremely far away from the Chicago site where all the work I've done will just be lying in the fridge. I'm sure I could work something out by going to the other campuses and then coming back to the Chicago campus solely for PhD work, but it would be extremely better for me if I could get the Chicago site. I know all the sites are the same, but the clinical opportunites that the Chicago site offers can't be beat. This is another reason I want to go to the Chicago campus. Keep in mind, I'm not even IN to the school yet. It's sort of useless to make empty demands about site location when you're not even accepted, but I feel that UIC is going to be the one and only school that I have a decent shot at getting into (I go to UIC Undergrad). This is why I asked about the campus filling rate, etc. Keep posting about the Chicago campus' status.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

I recieved a swift kick in the buttocks by Chicago Med today. They just keep falling down. I didn't let that get to me, biochem needed some attention.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Hang in there, ok?

Just remember it's not over until the actual orientation days begin! THERE IS HOPE YET!

My gluteal region had not finished healing yet, and Washington University in St. Louis gave it a thorough paddling today. Now there's only UIC, GWU, and MCP left.

-Sitting on a pillow.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Imtiaz,

Sorry I have not kept up with this thread, but have you had any interviews?

If not, have you contacted the adcoms? I think you should contact them to try and get them to look at your file more closely. Send them some updates...I'm sure there's something you have been doing this year that will strengthen your application.

I am really rooting for you! (I really like the little message at the end of your posts by the way!)

Also kicked by Chicago Med yesterday; I wouldn't worry too much about it...

I haven't called up any of the ADCOMS because the answer is obvious: GPA. I need to pull up my GPA to at least a 3.5. One adcom at UIC said that even if I had a 3.0 they'd have no problem taking me. I then told him how eager I was to get started, etc. I'm not rejected at UIC yet, so I'm hoping my talk with him made some sort of impression.

On another note, I'm really liking this new Incubus song. If any of you want to listen to it just connect to my ShoutCAST server. Open up Winamp, press CNTRL-L and type in 24.8.234.124:8000 It's on most of the time, so you can listen in on what's playing in my room.

Later

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Well, you can scratch GWU off the list. And then there were two.

Incidentally, I am planning on sending this letter to all schools that I have been rejected by:

Dear Admissions Comittee,

Thank you for your letter of (fill in date here). After careful consideration, I
regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a
position in your entering class.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually
large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field
of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your school's outstanding qualifications and previous experience
in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs
at this time. Therefore, I will assume the position in your entering class
this August.

Sincerely,
Imtiaz

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Now this is a great idea. Very funny stuff!

Originally posted by imtiaz:
Well, you can scratch GWU off the list. And then there were two.

Incidentally, I am planning on sending this letter to all schools that I have been rejected by:

Dear Admissions Comittee,

Thank you for your letter of (fill in date here). After careful consideration, I
regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a
position in your entering class.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually
large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field
of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your school's outstanding qualifications and previous experience
in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs
at this time. Therefore, I will assume the position in your entering class
this August.

Sincerely,
Imtiaz

Imtiaz -- you are great!!! I love the letter -- if you don't mind, I may decide to send a variation of it to the schools who issued some of the more condescending letters I've received (we know you are about to be so terribly disappointed and despondent over this, that you might jump off of a bridge, just because we don't like you...). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the two you have left -- I think there's a lot of us pulling for you right now, if that's any consolation.

By the way, I tried to connect to your server, but had no luck. Which Incubus song is it? My personal favorite right now is "Warmth" -- I just love the guitar in the beginning. I think it's finally pushed me over the edge to suck it up, buy a guitar and finally learn how to play. If my roommates are sick of me now (I tend to play favorite songs over and over on repeat), just wait...

Lilly,

You can use the letter, it's mostly bits and peices of various school's rejection notices, with an added touch at the end. I don't own it or anything. I got my first guitar when I was a sophomore in high school. It's fun to just plug it in and bash away at it, it's my stress relief I suppose. Besides, chicks who play guitar are cool.
smile.gif
The server hasn't been up recently, it's not even a real server. It's an application that I run locally when I want to turn my desktop into a server. The Incubus song I'm talking about is called Drive. Thanks again for all your support. Hopefully I hear some good news soon.

Later

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Welp, MCP expunged me today. It was sort of nice, because there was actually a real ink signature on the letter, and not some stamp or something. So I guess they actually gave my application some consideration.

Now I've got only 1 lifeline. Regis, I'll take UIC, and yes, make that my final answer.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Imtiaz-

I'll have my fingers crossed for you. I've been quietly watching this post, hoping every day to be able to congradulate you. Hang in there.

By the way, I not only do I appreciate your rejection of rejection letter, but I absolutely love your footer. Nice to see some subtle subversion on this board.
wink.gif

Nanon

Sorry imtiaz -- still have fingers crossed and good thoughts for you with UIC -- do you have any idea what the timeline is for them? Also, if you haven't yet, it might be worth it to send them an update letter if any cool stuff has happened since you sent in your app -- a new transcript, research you're doing, etc., although I'm sure you already know that.

Thanks for the comment on the guitar playing -- funny, my ex said the same thing.
smile.gif
Anyways, probably will start shopping for one this week. Btw, "Drive" is a great song, but I definitely recommend checking out "Warmth" if you haven't yet.

I really hope you get some good news soon... you definitely sound like someone with a good head on their shoulders, who would be a great addition to any med school class.

Imtiaz,

I wouldn't send that letter to UIC. It sounds erogant and crass. Admissions committees will likely keep all records on your file. I can speek from experience. I applied to 46 medical schools. Rejected from 45...accepted into one (Class of 2004). I wrote the admissions director five letters over the period of four months. The letters basically stated my interest in their program and my qualifications.

Your letter sounds like an emotional response (yeah it is funny). Unfortunately, a sarcastic response to the ADCOMS rejection letter could give the admissions committee a picture of how you might handle a patient who has just rejected your plan of treatment if your acting in the role of a physician. (think about it.) A sarcastic response to the patient is not a good response. They want to know the details...why your coyrse of medical treatment is best for them...You have to convince them that your way is the best way.

Keep working hard.

Take it easy man, I was only kidding.

Originally posted by G. Helbig:
Imtiaz,

I wouldn't send that letter to UIC. It sounds erogant and crass. Admissions committees will likely keep all records on your file. I can speek from experience. I applied to 46 medical schools. Rejected from 45...accepted into one (Class of 2004). I wrote the admissions director five letters over the period of four months. The letters basically stated my interest in their program and my qualifications.

Your letter sounds like an emotional response (yeah it is funny). Unfortunately, a sarcastic response to the ADCOMS rejection letter could give the admissions committee a picture of how you might handle a patient who has just rejected your plan of treatment if your acting in the role of a physician. (think about it.) A sarcastic response to the patient is not a good response. They want to know the details...why your coyrse of medical treatment is best for them...You have to convince them that your way is the best way.

Keep working hard.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Imtiaz,

How serious are you about going to medical school? I am just trying to help you out.

G. Helbig:

I don't think anyone but you thought Imtiaz was planning on sending the letter. A little advise: Having a sense of humor is ESSENTIAL if you plan on being a physician, or just a functioning adult, for that matter. Work on yours, and avoid the nervous breakdown.

Nanon

Last edited:
Now now, there will be no bashing of others in any of my threads. Now apologize and shake hands. G. Helbig, I am very serious about going to medical school. The letter was just a joke. I hope that you understand that. But thanks for making sure that I don't even thin k about sending it, even though at times I feel like doing it.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Nanon:
G. Helbig:

I don't think anyone but you thought Imtiaz was planning on sending the letter. A little advise: Having a sense of humor is ESSENTIAL if you plan on being a physician, or just a functioning adult, for that matter. Work on yours, and avoid the nervous breakdown.

Nanon

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Nanon, you are correct that a sence of humor is important in life...so is a sense of seriousness...so is a sense of sadness...anger...confusion...etc. Granted, I may have a nervous breakdown by the time I am 50, but my seriousness and persistance has gotten me into medical school. We all have characteristics that are good in some situations and bad in other situations. Ultimately...you are right, I need to lighten; but, I still believe that my seriuos character is a virtue and not a flaw.

Imtiaz,

I understand how you feel...I received 45 F@#$%^G rejections until I finally was accepted. It feels as if you are on the gound being kicked and they (ADCOMS) won't let you get up to defend yourself. Keep fighting the current and good things will happen. It sounds like you have the right attitude. You are working hard now and you don't seem to be ready to give up. That is definately a good characteristic. You are lucky you have found something you are so passionate about. Some people never find that in life.

<<Extending hand to G. Helbig>>

Nanon

Imitaz,
I qualify this post in saying that I am not now nor have I ever been a member a medical school admissions commitee. Having said that, let me tell you something you already know: You won't get into medical school this year. I know you're holding onto a spark of hope and hoping that others on this board will fan it into flames, but that really won't do you any good. What might do you good is to brace yourself for the inevitability of rejection and map out your strategy for overcoming this setback. I know a post-bac program or post-graduate work seems like drudgery to you. So what. Deal with it. Unfortunately, you made some mistakes early in your college career. Now you have to pay for them. Your stats, such as they are, are not competitive. You need to do something to make them so.

I hope that this has been constructive. I was in the same boat as you years ago. I start school next year. And yes, it may take years. Good luck! You will succeed if you want to. Simple as that.

BlueFalcon:
I would not call imtiaz's grades or anything else mistakes. He has had to go through more than anyone I've read about on this board. So although there may be little chance that he may get in this year, I don't think it's something he brought on to himself.

Anyway, but I do agree that it is wise to look for a back-up strategy. There are tons of ways to strengthen an application and I am sure he can succeed.

Good luck with everything Imtiaz!!!

P.S. imtiaz-are you persian???? Your name is an actual word in farsi.
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. I know I'm not going to get in this year. There is still UIC though, they STILL haven't rejected me. I'm expecting the rejection, but who knows? I personally talked with an adcom there on more than one occasion and the first time I only had my April MCAT to show him and he said "sorry, no chance." After I got my August score back, I returned, and he said "I don't know, if you had a 3.0 at least, a 2.6 is too low!" I'm still expecting a rejection, but to have an adcom tell you its impossible at one time and say he doesn't know the second time, it means something. I know I made a good impression on him, I was completely calm (there is nothing stopping a guy who has nothing to lose, I looked at it this way, if I act all scared and reserved I won't get anywhere). So I told him about my volunteering in the OR, and how I went in there every day and asked myself "Do I really want to do this for the rest of my life?" and how I sat down every day studying for the MCAT and knowing that if I didn't score well on it I would have no face to show to any admissions comittee, and how it catalyzed my enthusiasm, etc. He was impressed, he told me. He even went so far as to say "If we can't make this happen this year, you can be sure that next year you'll have a decent shot."

So you see, I'm not worried. I'm going to medical school. I'm not asking for advice, encouragement, anything from anyone. I'm merely posting my experiences for others to see and maybe look out there and see in me something in common, something that they can relate to, and maybe that will help them gain some sanity in this rigorous, grueling process.

Your post is appreciated. I do not take offense to "reality check" posts, becuase I am myself a very no-nonsense person. I know my GPA is garbage. Those were my very words to the adcom, "I know my GPA is garbage." I can and will pull it up. If you're still around here, maybe you can hear about it (if I'm not accepted this year).

Jimi, I'm from India. My name is arabic, it means "perfection" I've heard. Are you persian? My dad spent 5 yrs in Iran, he's fluent in Farsi.
smile.gif

BTW, aced my first biochem II test
smile.gif

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Wow!!!
I have read your responses and the responses of people to you. I know that you will go to med school and I know you will make a damn good doctor. See you as a resident some day.

Originally posted by imtiaz:
Thanks for the replies guys. I know I'm not going to get in this year. There is still UIC though, they STILL haven't rejected me. I'm expecting the rejection, but who knows? I personally talked with an adcom there on more than one occasion and the first time I only had my April MCAT to show him and he said "sorry, no chance." After I got my August score back, I returned, and he said "I don't know, if you had a 3.0 at least, a 2.6 is too low!" I'm still expecting a rejection, but to have an adcom tell you its impossible at one time and say he doesn't know the second time, it means something. I know I made a good impression on him, I was completely calm (there is nothing stopping a guy who has nothing to lose, I looked at it this way, if I act all scared and reserved I won't get anywhere). So I told him about my volunteering in the OR, and how I went in there every day and asked myself "Do I really want to do this for the rest of my life?" and how I sat down every day studying for the MCAT and knowing that if I didn't score well on it I would have no face to show to any admissions comittee, and how it catalyzed my enthusiasm, etc. He was impressed, he told me. He even went so far as to say "If we can't make this happen this year, you can be sure that next year you'll have a decent shot."

So you see, I'm not worried. I'm going to medical school. I'm not asking for advice, encouragement, anything from anyone. I'm merely posting my experiences for others to see and maybe look out there and see in me something in common, something that they can relate to, and maybe that will help them gain some sanity in this rigorous, grueling process.

Your post is appreciated. I do not take offense to "reality check" posts, becuase I am myself a very no-nonsense person. I know my GPA is garbage. Those were my very words to the adcom, "I know my GPA is garbage." I can and will pull it up. If you're still around here, maybe you can hear about it (if I'm not accepted this year).

Jimi, I'm from India. My name is arabic, it means "perfection" I've heard. Are you persian? My dad spent 5 yrs in Iran, he's fluent in Farsi.
smile.gif

BTW, aced my first biochem II test
smile.gif

Imtiaz,

GOOD JOB on your test!! That's a lot better than I ever did in Biochem!

Yes, I am Persian...I wasn't born there but I did go to kindergarten and first grade there. My mom just left yesterday to visit again and my dad will be going next week. All of my relatives are there so it would definitely be nice to visit it.

Anyway, I admire your determination and I know you will reach your goals.

Keep posting, I'm very interested!

Hi Imtiaz:
I've been following your thread for a while and I must tell you that I am definitely rooting for you. I hope more people with your determination and sense of humor become physicians. With that being said, I had a question...is it OK to call up the adcoms and talk to them even when your file is being "processed". I mean I never considered it, and maybe I should have for some programs to stress my accomplishments and explain my mediocre MCAT scores (28). Lemme know. Thanks and good luck

UHS:

I personally went to the admissions office and said "I need to speak with an adcom, today." They said "sorry, come back thursday." It ruined the mood! Anyway, I personally went in and talked to the adcom. I probably was a little less inhibited then I should've been. I was completely open with the guy, like the guy could do me no harm. When the reality of the situation is, this guy could very well keep me out of medical school forever. Fortunately, he liked how I handled myself, and responded to it (he very well could've said "Get out of my office.")

The point is, don't pester adcoms if you have good stats. A 28 MCAT is nothing to be ashamed of. I assume you have a "in-the-range" (ie. ~3.5) GPA, so don't worry about it. Definitely DONT act like I did with the adcoms. You probably have a decent shot, don't blow it. Conform, and play by their rules. Write nice little letters saying how you love their institution, etc. Visit once, and have a talk with an adcom, tell them what you've been doing, have a conversation with them. It's not very difficult at all, just be yourself and within bounds act professional. The difference is, when I went in to talk to the adcom, the tone of the conversation was more relaxed, because I was playing him, trying to get on his good side. It was a big risk, because if he was a tight ass, I would've been screwed. Just be professional.

Good luck man.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Imtiaz, (or anyone else who doesn't get in this year)

Would you consider applying to a European school?

Never. Why go abroad when you live in a country that has THE BEST medical training in the world? SGU has been sending me packets, calling me, but it's not even an option to me. It's not worth it. To me, if I can't become a doctor the "right" way (ie. competing against other premeds in the USA and getting accepted) then maybe I wasn't meant to be a doctor. But alas, the battle has only begun.

Originally posted by BPK2001:
Imtiaz, (or anyone else who doesn't get in this year)

Would you consider applying to a European school?

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

I didn't mean SGU, I mean a reputable European school like in Ireland or England...most of which are well respected here in the U.S. because they were teaching medicine for hundreds of years, long before our schools were even opened. Maybe the U.S. has some high tech diagnostic tests that some European schools don't have, but you will become a master in diagnosing without relying on them. In the end you would return to the U.S. and have access to everything here anyway. Don't assume the only place you can get a first rate education is the U.S. That would be far too pretentious.

Imtiaz,

Hi again, thanks for all the advice earlier. I just wanted to say that in world rankings, american medical schools are not in the top 20. Harvard, which is supposedly the best in the US, is ranked 23rd in the world. Actually France has the best medical schools in the world, with Cuba in the top 10. As a side note; Actually, a group of M.D.-Ph.D.'s in Cuba just developed a vaccine for Meningitis, and Hepatitis C. We have the best undergraduate universities in the world, but our post-graduate programs are somewhat lacking. Please read up on this for yourself to verify my statements. Nevertheless, I am seriously praying for an american school to accept me,
wink.gif
as we all are.

[This message has been edited by the_rock (edited 02-21-2001).]

rock,

Where have you seen these "world medical school rankings?" I never knew they existed. I'd be curious to see how they compared US schools with countries with different education and health care systems, like those where medical school is essentially begun after secondary school.

[This message has been edited by drfermin (edited 02-21-2001).]