rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usdds08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Am i the only one with so many rejections. Please help me what should i do to change the rejection letters to acceptances...???? please help

Members don't see this ad.

if you really need help from here then tell us your stats and current achievements in the field , then only people can advise you where you need improvement, ok good luck

Hey guys,

Am i the only one with so many rejections. Please help me what should i do to change the rejection letters to acceptances...???? please help

do u mean rejections after interview or before? because u seem to have had interviews at loma linda, colorado already ...isn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please show your stats and experiences, then people may help you out....

Please show your stats and experiences, then people may help you out....
My stats are NBDE 1 - 77
NBDE II 77 toefl - 107
GPA - 3.89
Couple of observerships and 1 CDE course..

And yeah i did get some interviews but after that nothing... what do i do?

So many views but no help... please people i need some help.... thanks..

Volunteering at a non profit organization that provides dental services would help a lot!

Volunteering at a non profit organization that provides dental services would help a lot!

Hey BTO, why volunteer in a non-profit organization matters? Thanks.

Hey BTO, why volunteer in a non-profit organization matters? Thanks.

They always organize dental health days for underprivileged people and they provide outreach services which would look great on ur resume plus the experience you would get from participating in those kinds of events. And getting recommendation letters from dentists who work for those kinds of organizations is a big plus.

They always organize dental health days for underprivileged people and they provide outreach services which would look great on ur resume plus the experience you would get from participating in those kinds of events. And getting recommendation letters from dentists who work for those kinds of organizations is a big plus.

This is a great answer! Does that mean US dental school are trying to educate foreign dentists to commit to community services after their graduation? I am still not clear with the connection between the experiences in this kind of clinics and the chances of getting into dental school.

This is a great answer! Does that mean US dental school are trying to educate foreign dentists to commit to community services after their graduation? I am still not clear with the connection between the experiences in this kind of clinics and the chances of getting into dental school.

Those organizations provide services to people from all backgrounds, and it is important to all dental schools that u are able to work with people from different backgrounds. At least, this is what I have seen from my experience.

Those organizations provide services to people from all backgrounds, and it is important to all dental schools that u are able to work with people from different backgrounds. At least, this is what I have seen from my experience.

That's nice. Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
Me too got rejected at schools.They sent me a review mail ,stating that I dint do enough community service in The United States. and I shud also consider doing a Masters program..as that will give me a class room setting experience before getting in to a Dental school.. Now my question-- is it really worth the amt and time spent on Master's program ,just for a class room setting experience . Instead can I think of doing a EFDA program ,which will cost much less and will be done in 6 months and will keep me in my own dental profession.. ..Atleast post -EFDA ,I can apply for some jobs. But do Dental schools give value to EFDA /Dental asst courses.. Seniors please guide me..

Hi
Me too got rejected at schools.They sent me a review mail ,stating that I dint do enough community service in The United States. and I shud also consider doing a Masters program..as that will give me a class room setting experience before getting in to a Dental school.. Now my question-- is it really worth the amt and time spent on Master's program ,just for a class room setting experience . Instead can I think of doing a EFDA program ,which will cost much less and will be done in 6 months and will keep me in my own dental profession.. ..Atleast post -EFDA ,I can apply for some jobs. But do Dental schools give value to EFDA /Dental asst courses.. Seniors please guide me..
So, you applied dental school straight after your undergraduate?

Hi

Dentqueen:
Which school sent you that review?

me too got rejections every where i applied,,i think i shd give up of dentistry in US,, my stats
part1- 87
part2- pass
toefl-98

Please don't! I've got more rejections than I care to count! I kept every one of them, and kept collecting them by the bundle full for 4 yrs. And finally this year I took immense pleasure in carefully ripping them apart :)

My advice -keep every frigging rejection letter. It will motivate you to better your profile and your resume. You will get to the other side. It just may take you a little bit longer. If you don't work on your weaknesses and re -apply, you're not gonna get in!

That said, I've been where you are, said the same thing over and over to me and anyone who'll listen . Take time to grieve, But after you've wept your heart out,get it together and try to improve what you can. And finally you'll be on the other side! Not gonna lie to you - it is long and hard and stressful .But stick with it and you'll make it -nothing beats the feeling of that first acceptance. If you quit now, you'll never know!

P.S- I've had well meaning people suggest everything from"the universe may be trying to tell you something" to"God may have other plans for you." Over the course of 5 years. I had 2 incredible people in my corner who believed in me - I would urge you to find someone who will tell you - you can!

Its so difficult to even think of repeating this application process again( but will have no other option if i dont get anything this year)... and its not just challenging mentally but also financially...caapid is a rip off...they charge you and then colleges charge you again..and even want ece and nbde toefl score reports again! what is the point of caapid then...neway hats off to the people who apply for so many years...

Its so difficult to even think of repeating this application process again( but will have no other option if i dont get anything this year)... and its not just challenging mentally but also financially...caapid is a rip off...they charge you and then colleges charge you again..and even want ece and nbde toefl score reports again! what is the point of caapid then...neway hats off to the people who apply for so many years...
WHY TO WASTE TIME IN US?ITS SO COSTLY AND DIFFICULT,BETTER PRACTICE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

WHY TO WASTE TIME IN US?ITS SO COSTLY AND DIFFICULT,BETTER PRACTICE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
in the end its all about personnel satisfaction...you can find it in the simplest of things else you might not discover it the most sublime moment of your life..." one who is satisfied is the most successful person"...

in the end its all about personnel satisfaction...you can find it in the simplest of things else you might not discover it the most sublime moment of your life..." one who is satisfied is the most successful person"...
thanks coupland ,yeah we can find personal satisfaction anywhere,thanks again for your kind words.

me too got rejections every where i applied,,i think i shd give up of dentistry in US,, my stats
part1- 87
part2- pass
toefl-98
Do not give up! It took me 4 years to get in. I had finished my dental school, and now I am in a residency program. It will come through.
Just try to improve your application each year. US schools look heavily at the research and a community service. I wish I knew that before applying for many years.

Last edited:
part1- 87
part2- pass
toefl-98

Can u share the rest of work experience ..in the US and ur home country ! And community work ! I'm starting to freak out !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

My first official rejection letter from UTHSCSA...IT hurts literally:(

sorry to hear that...but its not over yet...may be its a battle lost..but the war is still on..keep the faith....

Sorry to hear that.. Can you share you IV timeline? When and how did u receive the rejection?

Even i got rejections ...my stats are like this ....
Part 1 -PASS
Part 2 - PASS
toefl- 114
1 year clinical exp back home, gave a paper presentation, about 100 hours of community work back home, have 5 months observership exp, since 1 month i have been volunteering in a non profit dental clinic, have couple of CDE programs .....what should i do to improve my resume for next yr ? And i have another question ...which one is better? doing obeservership at same dentist for long time or doing observership at different dentists ? i was wondering if that matters or not ?

Last edited:
I also got a rejection from UTHSCSA !! it's not the first one.. I think that the acceptance may be related to permanent residency status !!

Part 1 -PASS
Part 2 - PASS
toefl- 114
1 year clinical exp back home, gave a paper presentation, about 100 hours of community work back home, have 5 months observership exp, since 1 month i have been volunteering in a non profit dental clinic, have couple of CDE programs .....what should i do to improve my resume for next yr ? And i have another question ...which one is better? doing obeservership at same dentist for long time or doing observership at different dentists ? i was wondering if that matters or not ?
from where you got rejections?

from where you got rejections?
I was not called from all the CA schools ... no call from boston yet ,texas, UPENN ..just got call from one Ca school and they waitlisted me ... But the thing is i dint have all these US exp at that time ... I started doing observership after applying .... So i think thats the reason why i dint get any calls...But i want to make sure that I do whatever that is possible to make sure i get admitted for the next cycle ..:scared:

I also got a rejection from UTHSCSA !! it's not the first one.. I think that the acceptance may be related to permanent residency status !!

I do not think that is too much of a factor. i have no status in the united states whatsoever, and I will be applying for a student visa now. my experience is that there is basic credentials you need (good GPA, good TOEFL, volunteer experience, shadowing/clinical experience) but competition is very sharp, so you have to have something which stands out. whether it is the way you express yourself in your letter of intent, or a very unique volunteer experience. i think it has come to the point that a lot of people have similar resumes so i think it is important to stand out. and from my own experience, APPLY EARLY. i totally think caapid is a money making grab and also it has happened with two schools that they had already sent out all the interviews even before the deadline (and specifically in my case, even before my supplemental application fee was processed). Those are my two cents so hopefully it helped!

First of all do not lose hope. Just keep on working on it!

One thing is: if you did get interview invitations that means your scores and everything else was enough for them... After that what counts the most is the actual interview and the practical.

I would recommend 2 things:

1- Try and grow your resume. Now that you applied and already got rejected, they will want to see you kept trying to grow and a dental professional. Volunteer on free clinics as a dental assistant! Get a good recommendation letter from an American dentist you meet during your volunteering experience. Volunteer at a school, see if they need help during CE courses or in the sterilization room or anything like that. It would be a chance to get to know faculty and also get a good recommendation letter or learn about good CE courses to take...

2- Make sure you learn all tips on how to interview well... Talk to those who have been through it! Evaluate all details.. How you behaved, how you answered questions asked, etc
Also, if you had a chance to do a bench exam, keep on practicing to make sure your hand skills are good

In my opinion the personal interview is THE MOST important of all.. Faculty glance at resumes and invite the candidates they though had good potential for an interview. That means whatever you showed on your resume was good enough for them
During the interview is the time to IMPRESS them. With your personality, attitude, knowing how to justify the bad parts of your resume and making the good parts look even better!
The practical will only show them you do not have bad hands skills.. is all..

Good luck!

So many views but no help... please people i need some help.... thanks..

again as I mentioned previously I would recommend re-evaluating how you did on your interviews and practical exams

Seems to me you have a wonderful resume!

Might be a small and important detail you are missing out during your interviews/practical

But it wont hurt to improve your resume... I would try to volunteer as a dental assistant if I were you. You already shadowed an US dentist (any chance of getting a recommendation letter from him/her?).

Part 1 -PASS
Part 2 - PASS
toefl- 114

Keep it cool is all I have to say.

I did not have the most impressive scores/stats at all when I applied. I did have experience as a dentist back in my home country but that was my only plus... I had NO experience at all here in the US .As a matter of fact I had the lowest boards score of all applicants when I was interviewing. My GPA was a joke... No need to say everyone was always making me feel bad and looking at me like I would never get in...

Well... What I did is I worked hard on writing a nice letter of intent, getting very good WELL WRITTEN recommendation letters ( if you are getting letters from a foreigner, make sure you show them what a recommendation letter from the US should look like and offer help with grammar)
And I really believe I interviewed really well... I knew it was the only thing I had that could differentiate me from others: my personal interview...
I applied to several schools and programs. I was rejected from every specialty program, they never gave me a chance for an interview (meaning they did not like my stats, I was competing with America students and that makes it harder). I applied to 5 IDP programs, was invited for 4 interviews..
Once I got the interview invitation I knew I was going to impress them... I knew I had decent hand skills and most of all, I prepared myself really well to make sure and have a good interview. I was confident , I had ways to show all the good things about myself and justify the weaknesses of my resume...When I walked out of my interviews, just by the reaction of the faculty interviewing me I sort of knew I was in. I could tell we had good connection and I learned how not to be shy, be personable and professional.
I was accepted in every school I interviewed at...

So, bottom line is: IT is simpler than you think... Dont worry so much about all the details on your resume. Of course it is good to make your resume rich, but nothing will matter if you do not know how to interview

Learn EVERYTHING you can about interviews.. Learn questions asked. Talk a lot to people who interviews and was accepted. Read tips on how to prepare/dress and present yourself...Seems like a small detail, but a good interview makes ALL the difference... If possible take a course to prepare yourself for these interviews and practical exams..

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Keep it cool is all I have to say.

I did not have the most impressive scores/stats at all when I applied. I did have experience as a dentist back in my home country but that was my only plus... I had NO experience at all here in the US .As a matter of fact I had the lowest boards score of all applicants when I was interviewing. My GPA was a joke... No need to say everyone was always making me feel bad and looking at me like I would never get in...

Well... What I did is I worked hard on writing a nice letter of intent, getting very good WELL WRITTEN recommendation letters ( if you are getting letters from a foreigner, make sure you show them what a recommendation letter from the US should look like and offer help with grammar)
And I really believe I interviewed really well... I knew it was the only thing I had that could differentiate me from others: my personal interview...
I applied to several schools and programs. I was rejected from every specialty program, they never gave me a chance for an interview (meaning they did not like my stats, I was competing with America students and that makes it harder). I applied to 5 IDP programs, was invited for 4 interviews..
Once I got the interview invitation I knew I was going to impress them... I knew I had decent hand skills and most of all, I prepared myself really well to make sure and have a good interview. I was confident , I had ways to show all the good things about myself and justify the weaknesses of my resume...When I walked out of my interviews, just by the reaction of the faculty interviewing me I sort of knew I was in. I could tell we had good connection and I learned how not to be shy, be personable and professional.
I was accepted in every school I interviewed at...

So, bottom line is: IT is simpler than you think... Dont worry so much about all the details on your resume. Of course it is good to make your resume rich, but nothing will matter if you do not know how to interview

Learn EVERYTHING you can about interviews.. Learn questions asked. Talk a lot to people who interviews and was accepted. Read tips on how to prepare/dress and present yourself...Seems like a small detail, but a good interview makes ALL the difference... If possible take a course to prepare yourself for these interviews and practical exams..

Good luck!
hi fren,thanx for encouragement,
this is my fourth year of application,every year i got interviews but get waitlisted everywhere,this time also i got interview,i want to know what is lacking in me during my interview,I am going to the same school for third time for interview,plizz help,i need to get in this time
thanx in advance
any tips for interviews
maiya

Last edited:
hi fren,thanx for encouragement,
this is my fourth year of application,every year i got interviews but get waitlisted everywhere,this time also i got interview,i want to know what is lacking in me during my interview,I am going to the same school for third time for interview,plizz help,i need to get in this time
thanx in advance
any tips for interviews
maiya

Maiya,

Try and read articles and book on professional interviews... Body language, dress code... I think it helps a lot.
But most of all it would be great to talk in person with someone with experience on it. I'd recommend someone who conducts work interviews frequently (not necessarily in the dental field, but a professional field) and with someone who interviews well, preferrably in the dental field to give you tips on how to answer the tipical questions.. You can also analyze their personality as you talk to them and kind of try and mimic. People always say " be yourself".. But.. what if you are super shy and kind of a reserved person? That was me... I taught myself how to be more outgoing and learn how to connect with people.. It helped me in so many levels.. even with patients!!!!
There are courses on how to interview where people sort of have a "mock interview" with you too, those can be very helpful if you can't quite figure out what you are doing wrong!
It is like having a personal coach :)

Hope that helps.. Please dont get discouraged! you got interviews so something is very right about your profile!!!! you will get there!

Maiya,

Try and read articles and book on professional interviews... Body language, dress code... I think it helps a lot.
But most of all it would be great to talk in person with someone with experience on it. I'd recommend someone who conducts work interviews frequently (not necessarily in the dental field, but a professional field) and with someone who interviews well, preferrably in the dental field to give you tips on how to answer the tipical questions.. You can also analyze their personality as you talk to them and kind of try and mimic. People always say " be yourself".. But.. what if you are super shy and kind of a reserved person? That was me... I taught myself how to be more outgoing and learn how to connect with people.. It helped me in so many levels.. even with patients!!!!
There are courses on how to interview where people sort of have a "mock interview" with you too, those can be very helpful if you can't quite figure out what you are doing wrong!
It is like having a personal coach :)

Hope that helps.. Please dont get discouraged! you got interviews so something is very right about your profile!!!! you will get there!

thank you friend,
will do that,lets see,today i got one more interview.I hope this time i will get in,
thanx for encouragement and wishes
maiya

Hi
they don't

First of all do not lose hope. Just keep on working on it!

One thing is: if you did get interview invitations that means your scores and everything else was enough for them... After that what counts the most is the actual interview and the practical.

I would recommend 2 things:

1- Try and grow your resume. Now that you applied and already got rejected, they will want to see you kept trying to grow and a dental professional. Volunteer on free clinics as a dental assistant! Get a good recommendation letter from an American dentist you meet during your volunteering experience. Volunteer at a school, see if they need help during CE courses or in the sterilization room or anything like that. It would be a chance to get to know faculty and also get a good recommendation letter or learn about good CE courses to take...

2- Make sure you learn all tips on how to interview well... Talk to those who have been through it! Evaluate all details.. How you behaved, how you answered questions asked, etc
Also, if you had a chance to do a bench exam, keep on practicing to make sure your hand skills are good

In my opinion the personal interview is THE MOST important of all.. Faculty glance at resumes and invite the candidates they though had good potential for an interview. That means whatever you showed on your resume was good enough for them
During the interview is the time to IMPRESS them. With your personality, attitude, knowing how to justify the bad parts of your resume and making the good parts look even better!
The practical will only show them you do not have bad hands skills.. is all..

Good luck!
In my opinion the personal interview is THE MOST important of all

AGREE 100%

why to waste time in us?its so costly and difficult,better practice in your own country:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
don't listen to that. However, don't spend long periods of time out of practice

I have a question. Does anyone of you who got rejected have any past research experience? I guess with the increase number of applicants I guess everyone has a part1 and part 2 cleared. So I really wanna ask you guys that did you do any substantial research work at your dental school coz I believe it's highly graded if you have research.

Hey I have some research experiences of two projects related to Oral Pathology in my dental school back in my home country... Will that help? I have synopsis made and my HOD has put positive notes related to it in my letters of evaluation... How far will it help?

Guys please comment and guide... Anybody?

Hello sir ....
I have done my MDS in orthodontics from India . Can u tel me Wat is the right way to get in US ???