Relationship between class rank and board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joe12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am curious to know if there is a strong correlation between where you fall within your class rank and your board score. If you are consistanly above average in your classes...are you likely to score above your schools average board scores?

Anyone here done poorly in their classes and well on the boards or vice versa?

Members don't see this ad.

joe12 said:
Hello everyone,

I am curious to know if there is a strong correlation between where you fall within your class rank and your board score. If you are consistanly above average in your classes...are you likely to score above your schools average board scores?

I'm in the middle third of my class-probably just below 50 percentile in my class-244/99 on the board.
A few caveats
-I'm at a top 12 school as ranked by USNews, my class is academically overachieving compared to the classes within a few years on either side
-I have a wife and kids and so I shot for the middle of my class so I could spend some time at home, believing I could do much better if I put in the hours most of my classmates were
-I put all my eggs in the USMLE basket and while 244 isn't the best ever, it certainly keeps all doors open for me
rbo

joe12 said:
Hello everyone,

I never really bothered to ask what my rank is...I don't care.

Generally, those who are higher-ranking in the class will do better on the boards. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule.

The reason is fairly simple: Those that do well in classes tend to have learned the material better and, therefore, tend to do better on the Step I/II (since they test what is usually covered in class and/or on Shelf exams).

This formula applies through the 2nd year but falls apart somewhat during the third year. This is because a student's ranking after the third year is complete has other factors that are not tested on boards (interpersonal skills, likeability, etc.). Hence the age-old question of, "How do I make Honors on OB-Gyn...."

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so because I'm at the top of my class.

joe12 said:
Hello everyone,

Pollicis said:
I hope so because I'm at the top of my class.

If you're at the top, you're probably in really good shape.

I spoke with my school's advisor, and she told me an awful story about how one year, the top student in the class failed the boards. She said it was because his method of study was "cram and dump". He had to go through a whole remedial program, FAILED it a SECOND time, then finally passed on his third try. Ouch.