Relationship with Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Again, stop being so sensitive. Just wait until you have patient interaction.

I've dealt with intolerant people before, if that's what you're hinting at.

A combined 30 months if Afghanistan and Iraq. Nothing is quite as intolerant as religious extremists bent on your destruction. And really, intolerance of all kinds runs deep in the military.

Your quick rebuttal means nothing, really, only to assert my "sensitivity."

I feel bad for your "patients" that have to suffer your "insensitivity", as if that's some sort of badge of courage or a demonstration of having accomplished something.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your postings both civil and on-topic please - no one wants to hear banter. We are all working towards being professionals, act in a way that is in accordance with that goal.

Yes Captain!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'm not sensitive, no more than you are ignorant.

"Homo" is short for homosexual, I'm glad we established the straw man in your argument. However, calling someone a "homo" is CERTAINLY offensive, and is consistently used in the vernacular AS an insult, and therefore no, in conversation, "homo" is NOT an acceptable abbreviation for someone of the opposite sex. To say otherwise is to demonstrate an insensitivity, ignorance, and naivete that has no place in a professional environment.
Ok, did you not read what I said the first time and what i had to repeat a second time, i was talking about spocks avatar because i KNEW his avatar was a joke and saying HOMO in joking terms. As i repeated before, i would never call someone homo.
For example,

"Sally is SO homo." This is an offensive term, and Sally would probably think that was an insult. Correctly, it would be stated, "Sally is a homosexual (lesbian)." This is not offensive.

If i were to say "sally is SO homosexual" i'm pretty sure the implications would be the same

Let's re-write the scenario.

Phoenician said, "Dude, your avatar is SO black."

This post would be reported to kingdom come - Why? Because racial epithets are not accepted very readily by society. However, slurs and derisive comments aimed at homosexuals as "undesirables" in society are, by and large, tolerated. Except in professional settings such as SDN, where we are held to a standard of conduct.

Imagine I was a homosexual man seeking advice as a pre-pharmacy student. I may be hurt by such a statement, and Phoenician may or may not have meant any insult toward me personally. However, the damage is done. And I'm quite shocked that your HR folks haven't ever put you through an ethics class, that you've never taken an ethics class, or that you've never had a racial/sexual orientation diversity course/class. Shocking...

Once again, i was talking about the avatar, i didn't say spock is a homo. "'im quite shocked that your hr folks haven't put you through an ethics class" ????? hahahah :laugh::laugh: we dont' get "put" through ethics classes, we LEARN ethics as we encounter it.

This is patently offensive and bordering on trolling. No, my "association" with homosexuality was not out of any insult, it is because I was offended by such a rude comment.

I'd like you to take a minute and read your replies for what they are before calling me "offensive." Seeing as how you've associated my joke-comment with me being an unethical, insensitive jerk.

His avatar is not "homo", using Antimony's definition, it possesses no sexual orientation. You agreed with a guy that suggested a definition of a word that actually contradicts what you were saying, unless you'd like to state that you think Spock's avatar possesses a sex, either male or female, in which case I could direct you to some excellent therapists.

I think 2 men bathing and touching each other is "homo," maybe i will learn more about this in the ethics class.

Bottom line, "homo" is not an acceptable adjective on SDN nor should it be in ANY professional setting. If you use such terms in your every day interactions with your friends, more power to you. However, such comments can be, and are, quite offensive to many people, including me.

I will continue to use "homo" as an adjective on sdn, thanks
Keep your postings both civil and on-topic please - no one wants to hear banter. We are all working towards being professionals, act in a way that is in accordance with that goal.

Noted.

Calling something "homo" is more acceptable in the South than it is on the West Coast. It's kind of a way to say something is weird or unusual

As someone who has grown up in the south and lived in the south my entire life, let me set the record straight....It is NOT ACCEPTABLE to ever call someone or something a homo. It is a derogatory term only used by hateful people.

Noted, bugg. I was being too general. From what I've noticed, it's a slightly more acceptable term in the South, but I have seen groups on the West coast use homo in a derogatory term, and I know people in the South that would be highly insulted by the use of the word. I did happen to grow up in more rural areas of the South, where there was little exposure to homosexuality and so less understanding (and this was awhile ago, too). On the West coast, I lived in bigger cities. But I never want to imply that this makes people completely understanding and polite. I have heard several people make blatantly insulting statements about homosexuality and people that were homosexual on the West coast, and my opinion of the people making the statements dropped drastically after that.

thephoenician88, you still really want to use the word "homo" in a joking manner? Really? Even after the large amount of people who've posted here saying that they find the word insulting? Would you use a word that is insulting to minorities, women, or some other group in a joking manner?

aboveliquidice, I realize these posts are off-topic. But I think they're important in the sense that as pharmacists and future pharmacists, we'll be dealing with people of all types and of all opinions. It's a good idea to hear differing opinions sometimes, even if we don't come to a consensus, as long as we are semi-polite about it.

Ok, so back onto topic, if it is a science course and you are offered the opportunity to TA for the professor, it is a really great option. If you TA for the professor, it will look great on your recommendation.

I think you are a cool guy, but you have to realize that some people are really serious. I thought your joke was funny, but thats just me I am not a serious person. (I amusually very laid back unless it comes to my work! ) However, some people are very serious and don't like to joke at all (like my own father) so you have to watch what you say in a public forum. :) But don't worry about it. You can still joke around with friends at least!

thephoenician88, you still really want to use the word "homo" in a joking manner? Really? Even after the large amount of people who've posted here saying that they find the word insulting? Would you use a word that is insulting to minorities, women, or some other group in a joking manner?

I only saw 2 people "insulted," that's besides the point though. Yes i will use it in a joking manner, as i see nothing wrong with that. Don't confuse this with joking about homosexuals.

aboveliquidice, I realize these posts are off-topic. But I think they're important in the sense that as pharmacists and future pharmacists, we'll be dealing with people of all types and of all opinions. It's a good idea to hear differing opinions sometimes, even if we don't come to a consensus, as long as we are semi-polite about it.

I think you are a cool guy, but you have to realize that some people are really serious. I thought your joke was funny, but thats just me I am not a serious person. (I amusually very laid back unless it comes to my work! ) However, some people are very serious and don't like to joke at all (like my own father) so you have to watch what you say in a public forum. :) But don't worry about it. You can still joke around with friends at least!

definitely, only with friends or people who would understand that i mean nothing derogatory.