Relationships in vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c/o2023hopeful

Reaction score
Just curious...
Are there any single guys in vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious...
Yes, but you have to fight over them with all of the other women who are concerned about how many single guys they will have access to while getting that DVM.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious...
As someone who just married one of those guys at vet school, yes, they do exist... but I wouldn't count on it :p. Out of a class of 120, we had roughly 19 guys, and even then at least 50-70% at any given time were already married, in another relationship, or not interested.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, a lot of vet schools are at very large institutions... go to some grad mixers. You'll meet people.

It will be refreshing to meet non-vet med people and the potential for awkwardness goes way down if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Yeah there are all of...3 single guys in my class. And often you'll find they're not interested in dating within their class (which is reasonable). Might find someone in another class, but still the odds are against you. I like britzen's idea!

Yes, but they often wind up marrying each other...

If you’re on the prowl, may I suggest checking out engineering school social events?

Reactions: 12 users
These odds just sound better and better to me! Of course I have a pre-med gf and hope she is still around in two years when I start vet school.

Reactions: 1 user
No. Law says they must be married before matriculation

So THAT'S why I haven't been accepted yet!

Honestly though, the thought of marrying another vet student and smooshing all that debt together into one giant pile is intimidating

Reactions: 2 users
One of the vets I worked for met her husband in vet school. She had to switch back to her maiden name because after they got married they were both Dr. Lastnamehere. Confused a lot of people :laugh:

the potential for awkwardness goes way down if it doesn't work out.
I've definitely witness the aftermath of dating disasters within my class. It is a risk to consider, especially given that you will be in the same room as this person for the next 2-3 years, and will have to be on clinics with them too. There are a lot of success stories though!

Some of my friends have had success with Tinder. Others choose to be part of the speed dating pool in Vet school. It's like 50 girls for each single straight guy in the school so the some of the guys are very busy....

I mean, a lot of vet schools are at very large institutions... go to some grad mixers. You'll meet people.

It will be refreshing to meet non-vet med people and the potential for awkwardness goes way down if it doesn't work out.

Fingers crossed these are a thing at my school....

I've definitely witness the aftermath of dating disasters within my class. It is a risk to consider, especially given that you will be in the same room as this person for the next 2-3 years, and will have to be on clinics with them too. There are a lot of success stories though!

Some of my friends have had success with Tinder. Others choose to be part of the speed dating pool in Vet school. It's like 50 girls for each single straight guy in the school so the some of the guys are very busy....
Seconding this. Also throwing in that people in vet school love to gossip. My lab partner for histo was a dude and we always studied together and at least half the class (and some from other years) asked us if we were dating / doing home improvement projects.

So don’t expect any privacy if you do actually date a classmate! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Seconding this. Also throwing in that people in vet school love to gossip. My lab partner for histo was a dude and we always studied together and at least half the class (and some from other years) asked us if we were dating / doing home improvement projects.

So don’t expect any privacy if you do actually date a classmate! :laugh:

So true! Vet school is like a small town when it comes to gossip!

Also, I think the grad mixers are a great idea! My class has more guys in it than any of the recent classes and almost all of them are taken. Not the easiest place to find someone! lol

Yes, but they often wind up marrying each other...

If you’re on the prowl, may I suggest checking out engineering school social events?
Seconding this as someone married to an engineer....

From a practical standpoint their debt-to-income ratio is generally very good and yours will probably be really, really bad.

(Not that you should marry for money, but if you go to their events and happen to meet somebody you like...)

Reactions: 4 users
Fingers crossed these are a thing at my school....
If not you could always organize one! Or just crash other departments functions (Humanities Department BBQ, Social Sciences Movie Night, etc)

I'm sure there is tons of stuff where there would be free food and the chance to meet students in other programs even if they are not specifically geared toward the dating scene.

Also, your school seems to have it's own dating website? (!) www.aggiedating.com

One of the vets I worked for met her husband in vet school. She had to switch back to her maiden name because after they got married they were both Dr. Lastnamehere. Confused a lot of people :laugh:
At my school we have two sets of married docs with this problem, so we refer to one pair as Dr X & Dr Mr X and the other pair as Lady Y and Lord Y.

Reactions: 4 users
At my school we have two sets of married docs with this problem, so we refer to one pair as Dr X & Dr Mr X and the other pair as Lady Y and Lord Y.
That's amazing :laugh: We have multiple sets of married doctors at my school, but I don't know of any nicknames to differentiate them.

Last edited:
I live in cstat, work for A&M but I didn’t go to A&M. And let me tell you, EVERYTHING is “Aggie-something”. There’s Aggie food delivery, Aggieland printing, First Baptist Church of Aggieland, Aggie credit union, Aggie automotive, Aggieland outfitters, Aggieland barber shop. The list goes on. It feels like I’m part of a cult that I didn’t even join lol.
You know, being from Texas, and not going to A&M, I’m actually not surprised.

We do Dr Mr and Dr Lady for all of our faculty couples :laugh:

I live in cstat, work for A&M but I didn’t go to A&M. And let me tell you, EVERYTHING is “Aggie-something”. There’s Aggie food delivery, Aggieland printing, First Baptist Church of Aggieland, Aggie credit union, Aggie automotive, Aggieland outfitters, Aggieland barber shop. The list goes on. It feels like I’m part of a cult that I didn’t even join lol.

I was there for three years. Can concur. And god forbid you have no interest in Aggie football - you're called a "2%er" and pretty much ostracized. I loved my department, but I never want to go back there again.....

I was there for three years. Can concur. And god forbid you have no interest in Aggie football - you're called a "2%er" and pretty much ostracized. I loved my department, but I never want to go back there again.....
Same, I really love TVMDL but I once made a comment saying I didn’t really get what the big deal was with the Aggie ring and everyone looked at me like just punched a baby or something haha

We also have two married couples (clinicians, not students). For one we inexplicably refer to them by their first names a lot, the others are Mrs. Dr. S and Mr. Dr. S

Meanwhile I discovered new pairs of married doctors literally all through vet school because basically none of them shared last names. Half of clinical year was me going: "Dr X and Y are married??? really??" lol.

Reactions: 5 users
Meanwhile I discovered new pairs of married doctors literally all through vet school because basically none of them shared last names. Half of clinical year was me going: "Dr X and Y are married??? really??" lol.
Absolutely. And the reactions from classmates were always "OMG you didn't know that?!" or alternately, "OMG, they're MARRIED?!"

So many undercover married faculty people at NCSU. Honestly I liked it that way, it was always a fun surprise.

Back in 2012 I went to the vet camp they have for HS students and I noticed that heavily. Like holy cow A&M plz calm down.

Back in 2012 I went to the vet camp they have for HS students and I noticed that heavily. Like holy cow A&M plz calm down.
You were in high school in 2012? God I feel old.

If TVMDL would like a clinical pathologist in the Amarillo lab next year, I'd be down. I'd probably do CS too, but Amarillo is close to some of my family.

Edit: I interviewed for an externship with a diagnostic lab this week and they asked me where I wantd to be geographically. I was like 'as close to [homestate] as possible, but I realize that isn't exactly a hotbed of clinical pathology. I'm open, especially at first'

If TVMDL would like a clinical pathologist in the Amarillo lab next year, I'd be down. I'd probably do CS too, but Amarillo is the closest diagnostic lab to my family.

Amarillo uuugggh. They had a Dx opening there that would have been mostly livestock...my favorite area....but...Amarillo:vomit:

The armpit of TX.

Amarillo uuugggh. They had a Dx opening there that would have been mostly livestock...my favorite area....but...Amarillo:vomit:

The armpit of TX.
I lived about an hour north north east of Amarillo for eight years around middle school age so I am well aware of the realities. I do need to hit you up for some connections soon, especially if you'll be at ACVP this year.

TX is a very unique place. I've never met so many people so proud of their state. But I'll stick with the coasts. It's not for everyone.
Please don’t let College Station influence your opinion of Texas haha. There are definitely worse places in TX but I’ve lived in Houston, Austin, and San Antionio and I’ve never encountered the problems I have in this town. Our cities are pretty rad. Except Dallas.

If TVMDL would like a clinical pathologist in the Amarillo lab next year, I'd be down. I'd probably do CS too, but Amarillo is close to some of my family.

Edit: I interviewed for an externship with a diagnostic lab this week and they asked me where I wantd to be geographically. I was like 'as close to [homestate] as possible, but I realize that isn't exactly a hotbed of clinical pathology. I'm open, especially at first'
I hope you get it. Working here has honestly been the best job I have ever had. It’s a very collaborative, supportive environment and our leadership really is open to ideas from even lowley technicains like myself. Every month we have something called case rounds where we present the most interesting/ unusual cases of the month and everyone is invited to join. I was worried people would be upset with me for leaving for vet school but as soon as my boss found out she arranged for me to start observing necropsies in preparation for vet school. If you start at the CS lab before July 31st I’m sure I’ll bump into you!

**editing to say I totally misread your post and thought you already interviewed Oops

Last edited:
You were in high school in 2012? God I feel old.
I was in residency in 2012.....:coffee:
ummm... yeah... I was a Sophomore/ Junior in high school in 2012. We’ve already established that I’s young. If everything goes to plan I’ll graduate with DVM at 24, and be finished with residency at 28! (But I accidentally make people feel old, I’m sorry. I once accidentally called @Trilt old so I mean there’s that.)

ummm... yeah... I was a Sophomore/ Junior in high school in 2012. We’ve already established that I’s young. If everything goes to plan I’ll graduate with DVM at 24, and be finished with residency at 28! (But I accidentally make people feel old, I’m sorry. I once accidentally called @Trilt old so I mean there’s that.)
You just got a head start is all :)

I hope you get it. Working here has honestly been the best job I have ever had. It’s a very collaborative, supportive environment and our leadership really is open to ideas from even lowley technicains like myself. Every month we have something called case rounds where we present the most interesting/ unusual cases of the month and everyone is invited to join. I was worried people would be upset with me for leaving for vet school but as soon as my boss found out she arranged for me to start observing necropsies in preparation for vet school. If you start at the CS lab before July 31st I’m sure I’ll bump into you!

**editing to say I totally misread your post and thought you already interviewed Oops

You’re sweet but yeah I meant it more as a ‘I could work there someday maybe’ thing. As far as I know there aren’t any openings there now but I don’t finish residency for another year. Jobs for clin path this year are few and far between so I hope things change in the next year! The externship I interviewed for was with one of the major nationwide labs.

I lived about an hour north north east of Amarillo for eight years around middle school age so I am well aware of the realities. I do need to hit you up for some connections soon, especially if you'll be at ACVP this year.

Definitely. I'll be starting in my new job but I'm going to make every effort to be there this yr, especially since it's driveable for me!

One of my resident mates is currently at Amarillo TVMDL too, I can try and get you in touch with him if you like. Just shoot me a PM.

Like holy cow A&M plz calm down

I would've been right at home at TAMU. My school spirit life is strong. My little best be ready to receive Illini swag on the regular.

The armpit of TX.

My dad's oldest sister lives in Amarillo wit my twin cousins. My parents moved to Cibolo for my dad's transfer. As soon as the male twin learned of their move, his exact words were, "Finally an excuse to leave this armpit."

isn't Amarillo where Texas Tech wants to build their vet school?

I would've been right at home at TAMU. My school spirit life is strong. My little best be ready to receive Illini swag on the regular.

My dad's oldest sister lives in Amarillo wit my twin cousins. My parents moved to Cibolo for my dad's transfer. As soon as the male twin learned of their move, his exact words were, "Finally an excuse to leave this armpit."

isn't Amarillo where Texas Tech wants to build their vet school?

No joke. A&M is the most spirited university in America. The entire town worships it.

Yes and Amarillo is truely awful. Not that Lubbock (where TT is) is any better. West Texas in general is a wasteland.

Like I said, I make people feel old. I apologize for that
I feel a little bad for you. You finish an exam or even finals and can’t even go out for a beer after.