Relationships in vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ok, born and raised in TX here! ZERO interest in going to A&M. Everyone asks why I went out of state. I'm happier. I love where i am. I love the vet school I'll be going to. I still love Texas but NOT A&M or UT. I needed a little smaller, friendlier school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Relationship ended after starting vet school. Dated within my class. Don't do it. (All you single males out there. It's tempting but not worth it.)
 
Speaking of the single dudes marrying each other, how fare the folks on the other side of the coin? Is there a decent amount of diversity in sexual orientation among vet students in y'alls experiences, particularly for the queer ladies? Is it about as equally well accepted in the vet school community as in the rest of the country?
 
Speaking of the single dudes marrying each other, how fare the folks on the other side of the coin? Is there a decent amount of diversity in sexual orientation among vet students in y'alls experiences, particularly for the queer ladies? Is it about as equally well accepted in the vet school community as in the rest of the country?
At my school there's not much diversity, but it is Kansas after all. There are maybe 3 bisexual or lesbian women that I know of in my class of 120, and all the men are straight as far as I know. I don't know of anyone LGBT in the other classes, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I'd say the vet school is more progressive than the school as a whole and definitely more progressive than Kansas overall, we take a lot of out of state students so there's a good variety of backgrounds and opinions.
 
Ok, born and raised in TX here! ZERO interest in going to A&M. Everyone asks why I went out of state. I'm happier. I love where i am. I love the vet school I'll be going to. I still love Texas but NOT A&M or UT. I needed a little smaller, friendlier school.
Where will you be headed?
 
@RedLauren I’m at Kansas State in the early admit program so I’m undergrad now but will be entering vet school in fall ‘20 so will be K-State class of ‘24
 
Speaking of the single dudes marrying each other, how fare the folks on the other side of the coin? Is there a decent amount of diversity in sexual orientation among vet students in y'alls experiences, particularly for the queer ladies? Is it about as equally well accepted in the vet school community as in the rest of the country?

Even being at school in the midwest (Missouri) we had many LGBT+ people within our class and the classes below us, myself included. I found my gf while in vet school (thankfully not another vet student) and we are still together 2.5 years later. I wouldn't worry too much about it. There is a broad spectrum club at most vet schools in addition to meet other LGBT+ people.
 
Speaking of the single dudes marrying each other, how fare the folks on the other side of the coin? Is there a decent amount of diversity in sexual orientation among vet students in y'alls experiences, particularly for the queer ladies? Is it about as equally well accepted in the vet school community as in the rest of the country?
I would also point out that universities (not just the vet schools) usually have LGBT groups. I know we tend to get vet school focused but there are graduate student clubs too 🙂
 
Thanks everyone! I had a feeling that was the case, but I worry that my animal industry experience in NJ has skewed me into thinking that the entire animal industry is LGBTQ! Good to know I'm wrong, but not prohibitively so (haha)
 
Come on we have the Texans, the Rockets and the Astros! And NASA. I was born between Houston and Galveston. The weather sucks but the jobs have been good to my family and the high school was good. I like the museums too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Speaking of the single dudes marrying each other, how fare the folks on the other side of the coin? Is there a decent amount of diversity in sexual orientation among vet students in y'alls experiences, particularly for the queer ladies? Is it about as equally well accepted in the vet school community as in the rest of the country?
hooooooooo there are so many gay women in my class. Strongly recommend.
 
I know of at least 4 people between 20 and 21 that fall on the LGBT+ spectrum, and there are definitely possibly more. Our VOICE club is pretty gung ho as well.
Does the 4 include or disclude me? 😛

I can think of 8 off the top of my head in our class, and those are just the people that just pop into my mind the fastest. There's definitely way more than that even, and a good number that my gaydar pings for but I have not confirmed. Vet school is great.
 
hooooooooo there are so many gay women in my class. Strongly recommend.

Does the 4 include or disclude me? 😛

I can think of 8 off the top of my head in our class, and those are just the people that just pop into my mind the fastest. There's definitely way more than that even, and a good number that my gaydar pings for but I have not confirmed. Vet school is great.

I did include you in that count. lol.

Secondarily, I feel sooooo out of the loop right now, though. I did not realize there were 8 peeps in our class. Granted, I didn't spend a whole hell of a lot of time with our class with living my library life. I also forgot someone in my initial count, so I have 5 people between the two classes.
 
I did include you in that count. lol.

Secondarily, I feel sooooo out of the loop right now, though. I did not realize there were 8 peeps in our class. Granted, I didn't spend a whole hell of a lot of time with our class with living my library life. I also forgot someone in my initial count, so I have 5 people between the two classes.
Fun fact: Vet med is the 5th most gay profession.

My 8 increases dramatically if we include gay guys, but I was just counting women since that's what the question was about.

Funner fact: the bar crawls really bring out the gay in our classmates.

My count is now up to 12 ladies since my original post; most falling into the "B" category.
 
I wouldn't recommend having a relationship while studying. This can have a bad effect on learning and can affect success for the worse.
 
I wouldn't recommend having a relationship while studying. This can have a bad effect on learning and can affect success for the worse.

I mean, the same could be said for almost anything in life. There's always a timing reason to avoid relationships - my single-as-f*ck life is proof of that. Some of us will be pushing 40 by the time we leave vet school, so it may not be advantageous to wait.
 
If we are talking about real feelings and emotions to a person, then you have to fight for your happiness and combine study and relationships.
 
I wouldn't recommend having a relationship while studying. This can have a bad effect on learning and can affect success for the worse.

True for some, dead wrong for others. My relationship didn't negatively affect my grades. If anything, it's nice to have someone outside of vet med.

If we are talking about real feelings and emotions to a person, then you have to fight for your happiness and combine study and relationships.

Real feelings are totally subjective, though. What one person qualifies as "real" can be extremely superficial to the next person. Honestly, it's opinions like this that are the reason I don't have in depth conversations with people about my relationship. Don't really want to or need to deal with the judgement of how I should be managing my relationship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't recommend having a relationship while studying. This can have a bad effect on learning and can affect success for the worse.
I’ll guess I’ll just dump my boyfriend of 6 years then. Him being deployed to Afghanistan was tough, but he’ll understand that vet school will be too hard for us. Oh well. Vet students don’t deserve love or a support system anyways.
 
I wouldn't recommend having a relationship while studying. This can have a bad effect on learning and can affect success for the worse.
It can only be a problem if you let it! I have a friend who got poor grades because she went boy crazy in undergrad and put those relationships before her school work. Most people don't do that!!!
My bf and I have been together for 3.5 years and we understand that school comes first. We're going to be doing vet school long distance but we love each other enough and he respects the fact that I can't talk 24/7 with him. We all deserve a support system and someone who loves us!!! I know there will be many nights when I call my bf crying saying that "I can't do it" (the imposter syndrome is real y'all) but I know he'll be able to calm me down and remind me of all the things I've done in my life and I'm sure he'll say something ridiculous and funny that makes me laugh. WE ALL DESERVE THAT!!! If you don't want to be in a relationship in vet school, that's cool! It's your choice! But don't generalize like that as a lot of people in vet school are married or in a relationship and there are plenty of success stories out there of vet students who were in long-distance relationships that survived vet school. 🙂
 
If your relationship is actively causing you enough stress and negative energy that it is affecting your studies....then it isn't a healthy relationship and you shouldn't be in it.

A stable relationship can actually be a huge help during stressful times such as professional school. Of course, there is always compromise involved, but the payoff can be pretty nice in terms of mutual support.
 
I'm pretty sure I would starve to death without the hubz at this point. It is so nice to have someone else around who can come home and cook dinner so I don't have to worry about it. And someone to talk to when my day has been ****ty. Or to just sit with me while I'm studying.
 
This has been hashed out a lot but I just want to chime in and remind people not to put their lives on hold for school. You can still have a life outside of vet school, friends, family, SO's etc should all be priorities in your life along with school. School is important, but there are things that are more important, and your mental well-being is one of them.
 
I'm pretty sure I would starve to death without the hubz at this point. It is so nice to have someone else around who can come home and cook dinner so I don't have to worry about it. And someone to talk to when my day has been ****ty. Or to just sit with me while I'm studying.

My bf is the cook in the relationship and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna starve during vet school without him [emoji14] (or live off pasta 24/7)

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile
Yah, I hate cooking, but my bf loves it. Baking is more my thing. Probably going to live off of wrap, sandwiches, and mac n cheese 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While I'm here, any recommendations for long-term couples who are going LD for the first time? I'm especially worried bc we've been living together for a year and its great. Now I'll be living with a roommate (private rooms thankfully).
Yes! Firstly: it sucks

Secondly: make sureeee you make time to communicate. I suggest setting up a specific day/time every week to sit down and skype or have a phone call. Any problems in your relationship are going to be amplified by the distance and the stress of school so it's really important you keep up with each other.

ETA: I did not do this. Relationship started straining in October between this and some things going on at home with him. Almost fell apart completely several times during the school year... and this was coming out of four really solid "short-distance" years. It's really, really tough.
 
Are you saying that you like cooking and not baking because if you don’t, then we’ve just found another of us (but the true test is apple pie)
hubs cooks for me otherwise I eat a lot of noodles, but I enjoy baking and eating baked goods (edit: baked goods of normal/not gross texture)

I just don't appreciate the implication that just anyone can be us (no offense jboo)
 
Speaking of the single dudes marrying each other, how fare the folks on the other side of the coin? Is there a decent amount of diversity in sexual orientation among vet students in y'alls experiences, particularly for the queer ladies? Is it about as equally well accepted in the vet school community as in the rest of the country?
There seems to be at my school like @batsenecal said. No one seems to give a **** to be honest.