Release Date of Birth on ERAS Application??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentealeaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are older (say 38) and applying to dermatology, would it be advantageous or disadvantageous to release your date of birth on your ERAS application?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are older (say 38) and applying to dermatology, would it be advantageous or disadvantageous to release your date of birth on your ERAS application?
Don't you have to anyway? It's a job application eventually they'll know your age one way or another.

I'd be surprised if they actually did anything more than glance at that part of your app. So many other things to look at, and most applicants are around the same age. I bet most PDs don't even glance at the birthdate section. They aren't sorting through apps trying to weed out the people who are older than 30, they are looking at grades and step scores (well, at least pre-pass/fail), USMG status, etc. first.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they’d be able to tell by your CV and app that you’re of non traditional age and it would look odd if not suspicious. On the bright side, if you match derm, you’ll never look your age!

This is a non issue. Just put your DOB down. I didn't even realize it was optional.

Even if you try to hide it, it will probably show up somewhere. Your med school transcript. Your USMLE transcript. As already mentioned, your app will have lots more experience on it than others.

Plus, it doesn't matter. We had an intern start in her 50's. Did great.

You’re only 38? I’ll be applying to residency at 44 and I have every intention of showcasing that crap! 38 tells me that you’re a freaking animal that gave up a strong career and family priorities to follow this path. I know that a team of horses couldn’t pull you away from this career choice. I bet you’re the type of person that would have your car stolen, a house fire, and your left arm to be amputated and you’d still show up 10 mins early. Boldly ride that age and wear that badge with honor! If they don’t see that in you, you don’t want to be there.

Reactions: 2 users