release of medical records for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my residency trail I visited a progam that had appliants sign a document granting the institution full access to applicants' medical records. Is this common or an anomoly?

Members don't see this ad.

On my residency trail I visited a progam that had appliants sign a document granting the institution full access to applicants' medical records. Is this common or an anomoly?
I would have demanded a:thumbdown: (airline/hotel) refund and walked. That's ridiculous. No one needs your medical records--except your treating physician/medical team.

Definitely an anomaly.

Even if they wanted evidence of your ability to practice medicine, its a HUGE invasion of privacy and ripe for abuse (especially since you haven't even matched there).

That's definitely weird/anomalous.
I'd be suspicious of the program. They must have had a resident(s) with major substance abuse or mental health issues, but personally I'd be ranking them low, if at all.

While they were at it, did they ask for a DNA sample too? Who do these people think they are? The CIA or FBI? If they are being this obtrusive in violating your privacy, you can only imagine the other things down the road they are going to want to extract from you. This program reaks of trouble....I can even smell the fumes from where I am sitting. :barf: Stay away!

Agreed...I would worry that this might be a malignant program in general.

That does seem weird. I can think of two situations where that might happen. First if you requested some kind of accomodation for a disabiliy then they might need some proof. Second if they are collecting paperwork so that they can set their new interns up with HR/benefits right after match. That would be odd since most places only do that after match. After match you'll get a huge packet of paperwork to fill in and sign. So yeah it sounds weird.

Second if they are collecting paperwork so that they can set their new interns up with HR/benefits right after match. That would be odd since most places only do that after match. After match you'll get a huge packet of paperwork to fill in and sign.

So are you saying that some places will have you do this through HR after the match?

I agree that it seems like a big anomaly. I really can't imagine any place or other job situation where this would be acceptable. Apparently it is standard paperwork for all interviewees.

So are you saying that some places will have you do this through HR after the match?

I agree that it seems like a big anomaly. I really can't imagine any place or other job situation where this would be acceptable. Apparently it is standard paperwork for all interviewees.

I could imagine that some health insurance plans, for which you would sign up as an incoming resident, might ask for this. Most do not as they are group plans. Some might if a program or institution is contracting with an insurer who is basing rates on medical problems or :eek:excluding preexisting conditions. As I said most would not ask for this.

I suppose I could understand if it were for insurance purposes. However, the specific stated purpose is to procure material for the evaluation of professional qualifications, competence, moral, and ethical qualifications, and releases everyone from liability for getting these records.

I suppose I could understand if it were for insurance purposes. However, the specific stated purpose is to procure material for the evaluation of professional qualifications, competence, moral, and ethical qualifications, and releases everyone from liability for getting these records.

Hmm...sounds more like they want a background criminal check, not medical records.

Knowing you had your appendix out, were treated for depression and tested positive for gonorrhea during college doesn't really say much about your competence or ethical qualifications. ;)

This just sounds really fishy to me. I would have had a hard time signing that.

Are you sure they don't just mean your vaccination records? Otherwise, unless it is for insurance purposes, that is very odd.