Relocating and spouse support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDUSA23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several MSTP interviews, but they are all away from where my spouse and I currently live. We will most likely be relocating which will require selling our house and my spouse leaving a job he loves. I will probably not make a decision on which school to attend until March or April, which only leaves a couple months before I need to begin research during the summer months.
Do MD/PhD programs offer any support to spouses in the form of employment? I don't expect them to offer him a job, but it would be helpful if schools were prepared to assist spouses in this process and relocation.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest I highly doubt it, but it never hurts to ask. I don't even think you can apply as a couple to a medical school (unlike couples matching for residency). You'll probably have to resort to going to medical school in one of the larger cities where there are probably more jobs available, but who knows in this economy.

i would not be surprised that they would - this would be a question you should ask them extensively during your interviews

I think significant help finding your spouse a job is going to be unlikely, unless your husband is a doctor/nurse/research tech. The problem is, these programs are relatively small and just don't have the resources for this. Quite frankly, it's unlikely to be addressed in your interviews because the people you are talking to are going to be program directors (i.e. professors), researchers, and perhaps the medical student admissions director. These people will have no idea.

Maybe your best bet would be to talk to the medical school admissions people. They probably have more experience because they have so many more incoming students. Also, they often have a person who helps incoming students deal with finding housing, etc.

I wouldn't despair though. I doubt even a big company would be much help with something like this. You just have to be prepared for some possibly tough times financially while you find a job.