PhD/PsyD Relocation Across Country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXIDaShizIXx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what grants are available to graduate students in order for them to relocate and start classes? I can't get approved for a personal loan to move, can't get approved from a loan shark because it is out of network as far as I'm moving, I can't even get approved for a credit card and only have a secured card as it is. Its not that I have bad credit, its just that I have no history other than my student loans and secured card I opened recently to build history. None of the Universities that I was accepted to offer relocation grants/ loans for graduate students, and my wife and I have no help from our families. This is really becoming a pain trying to figure out the logistics of it all.

Members don't see this ad.

I realy dont think there is any. When you file your taxes, moves for full-time employment are deductible and somewhat reimburseable (We got alot of money back for moving across the contry for predoc internship and then again for move to my job), just FYI....

I thought pretty much anyone could get a credit card these days? Banks often offer them to you with your accounts, even if you lack credit history. No car loans, target cards, or anything else to show credit? Dare I ask about savings?

Last edited:
I realy dont think there is any. When you file your taxes, moves for full-time employment are deductible and somewhat reimburseable (We got alot of money back for moving across the contry for predoc internship and then again for move to my job), just FYI....

I thought pretty much anyone could get a credit card these days? Banks often offer them to you with your accounts, even if you lack credit history. No car loans, target cards, or anything else to show credit? Dare I ask about savings?

My bank, which I have been with 3 years now offered me a secured card. I don't have savings because my transmission went out and I had to buy a new one for $2700. I started college when I was 15 and graduated a month after I turned 19. The car was bought by my grandfather before he died. I have no other card and I have gotten nothing, but repeated denials due to a lack of history.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, college at 15?

at 15 I was at Freshman football practice. At 19, I was likley drunk on campus somewhere. But to each their own. :)

Anyway, I dont know what to tell you besides minimize costs and tap into assets that you may have (sell some of your current furniture?) I think this underscores the importance of always maintaining a cash cushion in your bank account. Never know what might come up.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I think you desperately need to establish a credit history. Get a Target card, Macys card, and pay it off quickly. Buy something the next month and pay it off quickly again. Repeat. Qualify for a high interest credit card and ONLY use it for gas. Pay off in full every month. Repeat. In a couple years you'll be well on your way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't have the ultimate tip either, but given your current description, I assume you don't have many valuables and what you own probably isn't worth the cost of shlepping it across the country. I recommend selling as much as you can (even if you feel you're losing money) on Craigslist or a yardsale and taking as few things with you as you can. Best case scenario, you only take stuff in the car and if absolutely necessary, you can ship a few boxes. In my experience, it's almost never worth it to pay for your furniture being shipped across the country. Sell 'em on Craigslist and buy new (used) ones on Craiglist at your new location - that way you're not losing any money

Reactions: 1 users
If I were in your situation, I would wait tables/bartend to save some cash tips and use that as my moving fund, if 1) you have time in the evenings, 2) you have experience. I just don't think that incurring too much more credit card debt (due to moving expenses) would be wise prior to grad school.

Being a waitress was never 'beneath' me, although it was in the opinions of some family members, but I was financially independent once I moved out of my parents' house because of it. Plus it only requires short-term memory, physical labor, manners, and wit (if you want to increase your tips) :)

Good luck, buddy. I feel for your financial angst...just one more hoop to jump through
with these intense goals of ours. Remember keep it all simple when you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I sold a beastly sectional couch to some strapping young college hippies before moving for grad school. Pretty much paid for gas the whole way.

Its feb and you probably dont need to move until July at the earliest, right? Thats 6 months to earn some dough. Sell stuff on ebay, sell plasma, wait tables, clean houses, whatever. But you have a good 6 months to earn and/or save, right?

I sold a beastly sectional couch to some strapping young college hippies before moving for grad school. Pretty much paid for gas the whole way.

Its feb and you probably dont need to move until July at the earliest, right? Thats 6 months to earn some dough. Sell stuff on ebay, sell plasma, wait tables, clean houses, whatever. But you have a good 6 months to earn and/or save, right?

Yes, but I have to pay off two medical bills, transmission for my car that I had financed (6 mo, no interest). We don't really have anything to sell besides our sectional, but we need that until we move. I can't give plasma because I passed out twice trying, I have a minimum wage job now and get about 16 hours a week, but that all goes towards our regular bills such as phone, cable, rent, insurance. And I have applied for fast food, other retail jobs, and really anything that will take me, and still no one will get back to me unfortunately. I am getting to save about $50 a month at this rate.

Would you be able to rent out a room in your place (assuming you and your wife have more than a 1-bedroom apartment)? When you say cable, does that include television - could you cut that so that you only have internet, or maybe get completely rid of tv and internet and use the library for a few months? How about getting the most basic cell phone plan there is?

Are you handy in any way? I see a lot of ads on Craigslist for a handyman. Even if it's just for basic things, it could bring in some cash.

I'm sorry, I don't have any better ideas - this much be really tough.

Its a mathematics issue at this point. Save money and cancel cable. Nobody needs a sectional. If you have a bed, use that.

You sounds like you guys are running on fumes here, not a good lead in to a such a stressful time. Good luck to you. I hope things turn around.

Yes, but I have to pay off two medical bills, transmission for my car that I had financed (6 mo, no interest). We don't really have anything to sell besides our sectional, but we need that until we move. I can't give plasma because I passed out twice trying, I have a minimum wage job now and get about 16 hours a week, but that all goes towards our regular bills such as phone, cable, rent, insurance. And I have applied for fast food, other retail jobs, and really anything that will take me, and still no one will get back to me unfortunately. I am getting to save about $50 a month at this rate.

If you can't cut (don't sell your couch now!), you have to make...

I've never had an American medical bill -- is it possible to negotiate a different payment schedule, or consolidate somehow?

Tutoring - GRE prep. Foreign students. Put flyers all over every campus in town (including community colleges). Advertise on craigslist. (Don't let students bully you into writing their papers, though, that is what they mostly want.)

Agree with food service -- if you've already tried volume/family-oriented franchises (eg Applebees), maybe give catering companies a go. Some are on craigslist. Most will train staff themselves (and often like it that way) - experience not always required, and it's often possible to take as many shifts as you can handle (or as few as you like).

If you've got the experience/stomach for either, child care or dog-walking - both can pay more than minimum wage. Same as with tutoring - go old-school - use flyers (for the dog-walking, obviously), for kids especially, word of mouth.

Forgot: right now, if you're in the polar vortex region: SNOW REMOVAL. Older folks need help with that. My mom was desperate for reliable help this year; was so grateful to have found someone who would show up on time last month. Neighbourhoods where people have smaller driveways/walkways, you'd only need a shovel and salt -- could charge for the last up front. Shovelling, though, is not easy work and admittedly takes longer than with a snowblower, but you could get $100 on a snowy day from 2 (nearby) houses. (Even on days it doesn't snow, it melts, and freezes again, and someone has to throw down the salt. So it might be a 1-2x/week thing.) There are another couple of months of snow, probably, and there's grass after that. It is physical labour, of course, but neither takes particular skill (unlike gardening or something like that).

Other than clothes and your essential books/papers (go electronic where you can), you really don't need things. It's easy to restock on the cheap when you arrive, as noted above, especially if you can get a student loan when you get there.

This all sounds rough, I'm sorry. But it will be short. Try to keep your eyes on the goal.

Last edited:
So guys we have managed to get up half of the money we need so far! And my mother in law is trying to help us out so thats a plus as well!:)

Reactions: 1 users