Relocation - changing car tags, driver's licensce?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nchhabra

Fellow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this info is out there somewhere, but i did a search, but didnt come up w/anything.

i am moving to a different state for my residency. my question: is it necessary to change my car tags, driver's licensce, and car insurance? i am not buying a place there, just renting. is there any legal consequences or other issues that may come up (ie will my car insurance not cover me in an accident if i am located in different state)? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you're supposed to change your car registration, license, and auto insurance when you move. You should update your auto insurance even if you move within the same state since different parts of a state can have very different auto insurance rates. You could be denied an auto claim if your auto insurance company found out that your primary address is different than the one you listed with them when you purchased your insurance. Your primary address is the one listed on your taxes - where you live more than 50% of the year. You may have been able to list your parents address as your primary address during school but that won't fly during residency.

C

cg1155 said:
Yes, you're supposed to change your car registration, license, and auto insurance when you move. You should update your auto insurance even if you move within the same state since different parts of a state can have very different auto insurance rates. You could be denied an auto claim if your auto insurance company found out that your primary address is different than the one you listed with them when you purchased your insurance. Your primary address is the one listed on your taxes - where you live more than 50% of the year. You may have been able to list your parents address as your primary address during school but that won't fly during residency.

C

thanks for the reply. i guess i need to get that stuff taken care of.

And it can be a big pain in the ass too.

You should go to the web page of the DMV in the state to which you'll be moving. Check what their requirements are now, before you move, so that you're not surprised when you get there. For example, I'm going to PA, and they require that you change your registration within about 20 days of entering the state. Granted, you could lie about when you enter, but it's probably easier just to do it when you get there...

My spouse is going to be living and working in another state. I will be there for a year and then I am moving to another state for residency. Can I stay a resident of the first state (using my spouse's address) or do I need to change to the new state? I also wondered if you had to be a resident of the state where you will be getting your new license.

Dude I got some bad karma for my post - I'm sorry it's such a PITA to move, but don't take it out on me!

C

I was wondering if I need to make all of these changes also. I'm doing one year in New York and then 3 in Cali. Do I still need to change everything to New York for that one year? Probably so, huh? :cool:

Yes, Legally you should change. otherwise if you get into an accident, your auto insurance may deny coverage and you may be accused od driving without a valid license. Most states just do an eye test and give you a different license, others will require you to take a written test. Its a royal pain in the neck.