Remediate in Summer or repeat year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb05241995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been stressing out because I'm in my first year of dental school at NYU and my first semester, I didn't pass head and neck anatomy. I was close to the C. In the second semester before Spring break, I also didn't pass Neuroscience. I don't know how far away I was from passing. I've spoken to my advisor and she said it's a case by case situation and to finish off the rest of the classes strong. They could let me remediate the 2 classes in the Summer or I may have to repeat the year. I've been studying and doing well in the classes left, but I still would like any feedback from someone who has gone through something similar or just anyone that knows more about this than I do. Thank you for any feedback as it could alleviate my anxiety.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I've been stressing out because I'm in my first year of dental school at NYU and my first semester, I didn't pass head and neck anatomy. I was close to the C. In the second semester before Spring break, I also didn't pass Neuroscience. I don't know how far away I was from passing. I've spoken to my advisor and she said it's a case by case situation and to finish off the rest of the classes strong. They could let me remediate the 2 classes in the Summer or I may have to repeat the year. I've been studying and doing well in the classes left, but I still would like any feedback from someone who has gone through something similar or just anyone that knows more about this than I do. Thank you for any feedback as it could alleviate my anxiety.

pass remediation over the summer. then you'll be fine. try hard in remediation and you won't fail, don't worry. they're not out to get you

Reactions: 2 users
pass remediation over the summer. then you'll be fine. try hard in remediation and you won't fail, don't worry. they're not out to get you
Thank you for your reply! Do you think they'll let me remediate in the summer though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does NYU offer a system of remediation? If so, go for that. Repeating the year is overkill, especially if you've done well otherwise...

Lucky that you guys can remediate anatomy. It is one of the classes that gets you the boot from my school. Take the remediation and keep your other grades high.

Reactions: 1 user
Lucky that you guys can remediate anatomy. It is one of the classes that gets you the boot from my school. Take the remediation and keep your other grades high.

Seriously? We had a few people fail and all repeated in summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously? We had a few people fail and all repeated in summer.

We've had a couple people drop out so far, and some may have to remediate a class or two over the summer or be asked to repeat the year. We also have a D.5 program at our school where you take some of the courses that the D1s take (not all) and you matriculate as a D1 student the following year. You could also be asked to attend as a D.5 student if a full course load is a struggle and then continue as a D1 the next year.

There are certain classes that you need to pass at my school, one of those being anatomy.

Honestly if you put in the time passing should not be an issue.

Does NYU offer a system of remediation? If so, go for that. Repeating the year is overkill, especially if you've done well otherwise...
That's what I'm trying to get at. It's not guaranteed that they'll let me remediate the 2 classes. Do you think they'll let me know? Idk if you know anything about it.

Idk if they'll let me remediate. That's what I'm trying to find out.

Do well in your remaining courses and they will let you remediate and move onto D2. There are more people in your situation than you realize.

Reactions: 2 users
Do well in your remaining courses and they will let you remediate and move onto D2. There are more people in your situation than you realize.
I hope So! Thank you for your response. Will let you guys know what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: you will have the chance to remediate, that i can tell you with certainty. i think if you fail like 4 courses or something then they won't let you remediate.

you only repeat the year IF you fail remediation..which during d1 is during the month of june.

i haven't remediated a course, but i distinctly remember in D1 people told me for anatomy the first thing Dr. Baker says is ''you are here to pass, don't worry''

Reactions: 5 users
FYI: you will have the chance to remediate, that i can tell you with certainty. i think if you fail like 4 courses or something then they won't let you remediate.

you only repeat the year IF you fail remediation..which during d1 is during the month of june.

i haven't remediated a course, but i distinctly remember in D1 people told me for anatomy the first thing Dr. Baker says is ''you are here to pass, don't worry''
You're a godsend. Let's hope they do. Thank you so much for replying. You've given me lots of hope.

do you know if remediation for one class like Neuro is for the entire month? Are you required to be in school every week day or are you allowed to study at home for the course? Do you just get C's when you pass the exam retake?

do you know if remediation for one class like Neuro is for the entire month? Are you required to be in school every week day or are you allowed to study at home for the course? Do you just get C's when you pass the exam retake?
If you pass the remedial class, you get a P.

you pass remediation, you get a C/F on your transcript. in terms of grade calculation, you get a C. so there is no difference (from a gpa perspective) if you were gonna get a C anyway, vs. failing, remediating and then passing.

Lucky! In BU, any F means you are dismissed or repeat whole year along with classes you passed. They do not allow any remediation.

Lucky! In BU, any F means you are dismissed or repeat whole year along with classes you passed. They do not allow any remediation.
despicable-me-what-gif.gif

At that price too? They should be more than encouraging, especially with the negative things I've heard over the years. We had someone at UB who had to retake just two classes and he did just that.

despicable-me-what-gif.gif

At that price too? They should be more than encouraging, especially with the negative things I've heard over the years. We had someone at UB who had to retake just two classes and he did just that.

Don't get so angry yet. It's likely that it's much harder to fail a class at BU and easier to fail a class at UB. They nearly fail one person in many of the more difficult classes at UB, of course there's always at least one person remediating a class or two at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if failing 4 classes at nyucd in D2 would lead to repeating the academic year or can it be remediated during the remedial period ?

Does anyone know if failing 4 classes at nyucd in D2 would lead to repeating the academic year or can it be remediated during the remedial period ?
Go talk to an administrator at your school rather than bump up multiple old threads. We anonymous citizens of the interweb aren’t going to be able to give you an authoritative answer. That said, failing 4 classes is a lot. I’d imagine you’re going to repeat the entire year.

Big Hoss

1. Gen Path
2. GDS 2
3. Radiology
4. Hard to guess this one, I’m assuming Micro or DOD? Since ortho isn’t still up yet...

All of those classes seem to be offered during the summer at non overlapping time slots so I’m sure you can remediate in the summer as long as they approve. You can find the summer calendar on dental dds academics section on NYU home.

Does anyone know if failing 4 classes in D2 can lead to dismissal? Academic affairs states there is no number for remediation, repeat year or dismissal so I wanted to ask here in case anyone has heard of any previous cases

Does anyone know if failing 4 classes in D2 can lead to dismissal? Academic affairs states there is no number for remediation, repeat year or dismissal so I wanted to ask here in case anyone has heard of any previous cases
You need to talk with your dean of academic affairs ASAP. We can’t help you. Yes, you may be allowed to remediate the courses. Yes, you may have to repeat the entire year. Yes, you may be dismissed from school. It is not our call.

Big Hoss

I think BigTimeHoosier is right. You should check with your academic advisor. There is no way for us to know because each school works differently and each situation is a case by case issue.

I’ve seen some people have to remediate a couple of classes while others have had to remediate an entire year. Some schools will work with students to pass while others are known to have more of a zero tolerance policy. I would set up a meeting or send an email directly to your advisor to find out what they’re going to do for your situation.