Remediation- Help wanted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buzzKill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks Help wanted please.

Currently I'm am under a remediation which is next to termination. In the past 3 months I was handed down 2 remediations. My in house training exam was poor both of my years of residency(currently a PGY2). Now I feel the PD is treating me unfairly and scrutinizing every little thing I do. He is magnifying my areas to improve on and trying to make me look incompetent. I have good-great evaluations from attendings. I have one poor evaluation which he seems to always bring up. The PD even went to to extent to make a good evaluation sound poor, all he did was mention a area to improve. Overall he wants to make me look bad with low in-house training exam scores and magnify my areas-to-work on in my clinical skills.

Any advice on what to do?
Go over his head to the Chair?
Talk to the directors at the hospitals?

The story doesn't make sense to anybody I tell it to.

Please help, I am being a helpless victim on this PD's unfair emotional decisions.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Your hospital will have an assigned ombudsman (require by acgme), who is usually a faculty member at your hospital (but not necessarily in your program) - he/she is suppose to be an impartial 3rd party who can help mediate issues between you and your PD (or other faculty members). I would try to find out who your hospital's ombudsman is (you can ask the GME office) and see if you can establish contact.

Also, try to find out what your deficiencies are ... is it lack of clinical knowledge, decision making, "professionalism", etc. Try to make a list and, with input from your program director, other faculty members (who are trying to help), and maybe your chief resident, try to prioritize that list, from most important to least important. Then focus on the first 2-3, asking for frequent feedback (am I making progress?) and try to show substantial improvement in those areas. Then proceed down the list.

It is hard to give specific advice or recommendations since we don't know you, what the areas of deficiencies are, where you work, etc. And there are always two sides to every story/issues. But try to work with your program, and the ombudsman will be a good 3rd party faculty member who can help.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. While I am not a resident yet, I would have to say that going above the PD's head and talking to the directors of the hospital or the chairman is the WRONG thing to do. That is probably the fastest way to get a ticket out of the program. I think the first step to improving is to realize that you do have these deficiencies and that it's not some PD picking on you. Self awareness is key. It is the PD's job to point out deficiencies that you may or may not see for yourself. It's on you to fix them. Study harder and do better on the exams. Fix whatever issues they have pointed out in your evaluations and give them fewer reasons to focus on you. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks Help wanted please.

Currently I'm am under a remediation which is next to termination. In the past 3 months I was handed down 2 remediations. My in house training exam was poor both of my years of residency(currently a PGY2). Now I feel the PD is treating me unfairly and scrutinizing every little thing I do. He is magnifying my areas to improve on and trying to make me look incompetent. I have good-great evaluations from attendings. I have one poor evaluation which he seems to always bring up. The PD even went to to extent to make a good evaluation sound poor, all he did was mention a area to improve. Overall he wants to make me look bad with low in-house training exam scores and magnify my areas-to-work on in my clinical skills.

Any advice on what to do?
Go over his head to the Chair?
Talk to the directors at the hospitals?

The story doesn't make sense to anybody I tell it to.

Please help, I am being a helpless victim on this PD's unfair emotional decisions.:(

Some questions:
1) When you say you have good/great evals, what do they actually say? Where do they advise you to improve? What do they say your strengths are? What kind of scores are you getting? What did the one bad eval say?
2) I am not clear what remediation means for you. Does that mean you have to actually repeat the month? Or are you just recieving poor scores on evals? Who decides that you have to remediate, the PD or the attending on that service?
3) Is this the first time you have been in residency or have you been terminated before? What specialty are you in?
4) Have you had any complaints filed against you by nursing/RT/techs/any other non physicians?
5) What's your personal relationship with other members of your residency class like?
6) Do you have an legal history? Any psychiatric history? Has a patient you followed ever initiated litigation against you or against the hospial? A yes or no is OK if you don't want to go into revealing details
7) Have you ever filed a formal complaint of any kind against either you PD or your residency program? Maybe with the ACGME, with HR, or with the department chair? Have you ever formally or informally complained that you'd been sexually harassed at your residency program? Have you ever initiated or threatened to initiate any kind of lawsuit?
8) Are you an American medical grad, IMG, or FMG? If you're not an American grad, what percentage of the residents in your program are? Do you speak English as a first language?
9) How many residents did you program terminate from each of the last two residency classes? Out of how many total?

Some preliminary advice:

Do you have a mentor assigned to you, or failing that do you have an attending that you particularly look up to? If you do ask for a meeting, lay your concerns out, and ask how you can remedy your deficiencies. You might get some insight into how you can fix your deficienceis (you might not be seeing them), and when you partner with a more senior physician to fix them you'll also have a advocate who will argue that you are TRYING to get better. They might listen to him/her where they would ignore you.

Similary, work hard to partner with the attendings and senior residents on each of your rotations to improve your performance. Ask for formal feedback at the end of every week: set a meeting early in the day. If they try to give you a quick 'I think you're doing fine' ask them for at least one thing you can improve on and then, if you're on service the next week, ask them 'am I improving?' in whatever they said to improve. You will be a lot less likely to be caught by surprise by their comments, you'll have time to fix deficiencies before you're reviewed, and you'll probably be seen in a drastically better light just because you asked.

I would agree with others who have said not to treat this as a fight. Unless you're related to the department head/dean by blood there's no point to going over anyone's head, or of calling the PD unfair. That's not to say that you're wrong, but you have absolutely no leverage and there's no way to argue your way out of this. Similarly don't post your grievances on facebook, and don't talk about them at work. Limit your anger to SDN and conversations with loved ones.

That beign said, don't let the accumulate evidence against you unncessarily. A common tactic of residencies wishing to pursuie an unfair termination is to try to bully you into seeing their pet psychiatrist and then opening your medical records to them. They can then cite your now official record of whatever they chose to make him diagnose you with as a major reason for your termination ('of course we couldn't renew his contract, he's an ADHD schizophrenic alcoholic who hates his mother!'). If they try to force it, politely refuse or at least insist that that you see your own practitioner and keep your medical record closed.

Finally, do try to fix whatever your PD hates about you. It sounds like you went to a program that cares deeply about inservice score and you had problems with the inservice. Are you subscribed to a Qbank? Do you have a study plan? How are you going to make sure this doesn't happen again next year?

BTW, this is coming from an Intern who hasn't been through remdiation, so value this advice as you will

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it seems that once the PD decides they want to get rid of you, you could walk on water and they'd still say you "need improvement." They will twist words, "spin" situations etc. until their version of you bears no resemblance to your daily life whatsoever. It can be absurd and it is harrowing to be in such a position; I am sure you are really stressed out.:(

Honestly, I would speak with a lawyer, keep a record of all your meetings with PD and ask if you can record your conversations with him. Talk to the chair, ombudsman and GME asap, but don't rely on them to "fix the situation." Also get a lawyer, to serve as an ally party to look out for you. Ultimately, your PD probably doesn't really care for you and is likely complaining about you a lot behind your back. :thumbdown:

Consider resigning and finding a new spot for yourself. That would look better to other programs than being terminated. You could say you felt that the program was not a good fit for you and you are seeking something better for yourself.

I would also go the the AMA resident advocacy website and see if there are resources or contacts through them that can put the brakes on this situation as well. If you feel that you are being harassed it is important to do this--even though you are probably exhausted and don't feel like explaining this situation to anyone else.

Figure out exactly what it is they want you to change and change it. Why haven't you done better on your in-training exam? Need to study more? Talk to your chief, upper levels, attendings and figure out how you are perceived that is causing this problem before its too late. :confused:

Ultimately residents need to be the ones to stop PDs and attendings from getting away with abusive, passive aggressive behavior like this and your story is not uncommon. Some others might criticize you or people who don't "make the grade," but I find that this is often more personal than based on actual clinical skills. There are lots of residents who really stink as doctors but are easy to get along with or know how to "work the system." IMHO, promoting them for these reasons is not in the best interest of medicine as a profession. :cool:Good luck!!