Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Remember when every other topic was about debt?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Cello, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Cello

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I remember in 2009, 2010, and especially 2011 that just about every other thread seemed to discuss the topic of student loan debt. Many pre-dents were reconsidering dental school as they felt the contracting economy would prevent them from earning enough to pay back their loans as dentists. I notice that the panic seems to have died down. Any opinions on why that is?

swindoll likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Scumbag_Steve

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good point, considering the tuition situation is even more out of control now than it was then I have no idea why it's "less of a big deal" now.

swindoll likes this.
  4. PocketRocket

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Perhaps it's because people now accept it as an unfortunate but inevitable truth. Sure dental school is expensive AF, but I think it is silly to not become what you dream of becoming simple because you don't want to be in an enormous debt.

5. Yeah... there seems to be a lull in the debt talk right now.

Maybe it just happens in little phases of positive feedback where everyone is chatting about.

Or maybe the chatter picks up as the typical debt load passes some significant number. We're pretty used to the $300,000+ talk at this point.

Or maybe it's just statistical noise.

6. willwash

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Compared with the other professions dentistry is doing comparatively well. We complain about the prospect of corporate dentistry and a salary of "only" 100,000 a year. Freshly minted attorneys consider themselves lucky if they can find a $40,000 a year job working 50+ hours a week in a doc review dungeon.

ICUrunning, swindoll, Blake1e and 2 others like this.
  7. studentdent00

2+ Year Member

You obviously like to exaggerate things.....or have no idea what you are talking about.

8. flossiraptor863

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Additionally, there was more going on from a political standpoint at that time regarding student loans, especially with the loan that takes a percentage of your salary for a period of time.

9. willwash

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If that's an exaggeration, it's a slight one. Law is in an unstoppable death spiral brought on by academic inflation, and the fact is that most who do not attend a top 14 law school have terrible employment prospects, and even within the top 14 it's pretty bad once you get past HYS CCN (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, NYU).

I know because I almost applied to law school. I did quite a bit of homework about it and realized it was a terrible, terrible idea.

Blake1e likes this.
  10. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I hear people compare it to a colonoscopy. You don't like it but at the same time it's necessary (in our case, to get the DDS lol)

Pearl E. White likes this.
  11. Incis0r

Incis0r I LOVE Dental School
    2+ Year Member

Allow me to introduce you to Incis0r's law of predental debt satisfaction*.

Right now everyone is in happy-go-lucky application mode. "Oh look, this is a beautiful program. It's new too- I'm so applying there! They have two brand new sim clinics!"

August-November; People get more and more happy as they get interview invites

December- the happiness journey peaks; acceptances come out, people are celebrating with family and friends over the holidays

January- Oh wait...this be expensive.

February-April (and for the next four years)- omgomgomgomgomg debt crisis debt crisis!

May- transition month; a few people come out and post really successful stories (rare) that allay the fears of those who are taking out $450K+ in loans. Every person reads their story thinks that this is them and that they'll kill it right out of the gate. That tends to quell the debt talk.

June-July: back to Happy-go-lucky mode for the next batch of applicants.

Keep 'em coming!

*Patent pending; law derived from observation of common pre-dental student behavior on the StudentDoctorNetwork forums.

#10 Incis0r, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Skyrising, quigz, LaughingGas and 9 others like this.
  12. ladentista007

Pre-Dental
    what debt? I got less than 200K

Incis0r likes this.
  13. Incis0r

2+ Year Member

Like a boss!

14. strep mutans

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Head on over to the Pre-Vet and Vet forums to see discussions on the harsh reality of pursuing a childhood dream in the face of a bleak financial future.

Incis0r likes this.
  15. Weakfart

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I thought pharmacy was bad, what's happening to vets is even worse. Makes me sad but at the same time I admire that they wanna go through that to make a difference.

As for the original question, I know I'm probably not going to be living in a mansion or anything close, but from shadowing, I enjoyed the work and I could see myself doing it day in and day out. I'm pretty sure it'll pay the bills and let me live under a roof and that's fine with me!

DentalGirl5 likes this.
  16. darknightzzz

darknightzzz Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Dental
    what happens to vets now? it is still good right? ~>~ thought vet schools are hard to get into = they ensure the new graduates' prospect more.

17. Incis0r

2+ Year Member

I have a friend who is pre-vet. She's planning on a 4-year optional residency after 4-years of vet school (full loans @ 250K, 7%). Her desired specialty is pretty lucrative- radiology- it pays an average of 150K/yr out of school.

The income isn't bad, but she's losing four years more after vet school. In her defense though, that residency is a good investment; it will take her income from 50K (avg income right out of vet school) to 150K.

18. cpain

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    We learn to enjoy the cage they have built for us +pity+

19. Weakfart

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's like 85K income for the cost of school similar to med school. Although I didn't know of the residency thing @Incis0r was speaking of so my previous comment might be overstating it!

20. Incis0r

2+ Year Member

I think you're on point; what you described is what most students (excluding those who did Army Vet HPSP or had parents pay) right out of vet school are going to face if they don't do a residency.

strep mutans and Weakfart like this.
  21. Kittenz

Kittenz Class of 19'
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I thought dentistry had it the worse, but at my school, the costs between dent and med are the same aside from the one time 4k purchase of dental instruments being more than med instruments. Then I think about how med students are forced to do residency and accumulate interest for an additional 3-7 years while us dental students can actually make 6 figures in that time and pay off some debt if we choose to.
    However, this is a public school I'm referring to. The private school costs are just ridiculous and a whole different can of horrendous worms.

Incis0r likes this.
  22. Incis0r

2+ Year Member

Check out this quote from a grad of a vet school:

You can read more in the original thread, here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/second-thoughts-about-vet-school.886650/

strep mutans likes this.
  23. OSUkid

OSUkid Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

:hello:

Incis0r likes this.