Remove my fears...I hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted36260

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
why in the world did you move away mid-semester without dropping your classes??

You've made things harder for yourself (ie by drawing bad attention to your app), but it's not the end of the world. It will make a difference that your grades improved and are good/great when you graduate. Your overall GPA will still matter, but if you replaced those bad grades then you should be fine in terms of those schools that have GPA cutoffs. You might have to answer for your mistakes in your secondaries or an interview, so just be prepared to defend yourself (eg like answering intelligently what TheProwler asked). Of course, you know there's a million other things on your app that matter, so you have to take it all into account. If you have several of these negative dings on your app then you're not looking so good, but if this is your only major problem then you stand a fighting chance. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The website listed under your userID is one of the saddest stories I have heard in a long time, if ever. My heart goes out to that poor girl.

Do fine for the rest of your undergrad and it shouldn't be an issue. Time has passed and your most recent grades will reflect your true abilities.

evajaclynn said:
The website listed under your userID is one of the saddest stories I have heard in a long time, if ever. My heart goes out to that poor girl.

Why on earth do people drink? Why on earth do they drive after drinking? What a horrible, horrible story.

CarlosMielefan said:
Why on earth do people drink? Why on earth do they drive after drinking? What a horrible, horrible story.

Have you people ever been to Minnesota? It's like a favorite past-time up here. People are so selfish and stupid

CarlosMielefan said:

Well, I understand why people drink (hint: its fun), but I agree that its terrible to drink and drive. Reading that girls story is in fact, very sobering, no pun intended.

i took a couple of community college courses while in HS and just stopped going without dropping them. i had to withdraw later on and got a few W's on my transcript. also have a D for one class. these came up during my interviews and i just honestly said that i was stupid at that time and didn't know better. adcoms will forgive you for stuff that happens early on. even though my W's and the D have come up, it hasn't in affected my application negatively. keep retaking those classes. AMCAS averages your old and new grades.

phatmonky said:
I have read and read, but I want my own thread with it's own answers :)

I started college in 2000, went for a semester, and moved away without dropping classes. Thus, my transcript looks like ass (no drop = F's)

My university has a policy of grade replacement, in which my GPA is calculated with the most recent taking of a class, however previous attempts are shown.

I have two semesters of work under my belt since I returned to school. First semester was A's and one B (sadly BIO I though...) and my second semester was all A's. I have redone the classes to replace those old grades.

I've read that the Adcoms take such situations into consideration, and an overall rise in grades throughout your college experience is favorable as well...So my question is, did I kick myself in the ass 4 years ago? What can I do to hide this blemish the best?

It sounds like you are now back at the same school at which you started? Perhaps you can convince them to retroactively change your F grades to Ws, explaining the situation? I have heard of such measures working on occassion to wipe out old Fs.

evajaclynn said:

Me too. It really puts things in perspective. What a brave girl.

CarlosMielefan said:

*nods* .. just Tragic :( :( :(

UCLAstudent said:
Me too. It really puts things in perspective. What a brave girl.
Brave indeed. It's so tragic that the whole thing could have been easily avoided. Stupid drunk driver.

Quentin Quinn said:
It sounds like you are now back at the same school at which you started? Perhaps you can convince them to retroactively change your F grades to Ws, explaining the situation? I have heard of such measures working on occassion to wipe out old Fs.

Yes, same school...
I will have to talk to them again. This thread has given me a little more motivation to see what I can do. I have discussed changing them once, but was told that can't be done. However, I guess asking again won't hurt :)

Thanks for all the input people - And if you really want to help jacqui, paypal 5-10 bucks her way...it isn't that much to really help.