Removed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orgomechanismsn1

Reaction score
Removed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm planning to apply next cycle, and because of my family's situation and COVID, I worked several hundred hours for parent in their clinic. Given the circumstances, the environment was more intense/demanding than other positions I've worked, especially due to the COVID precautions. The option to bum around and fake hours didn't exist either as my help was actually needed to keep the clinic functioning.

My experience has also strengthened my drive to become a physician for my own reasons, and I have had some good patient contacts/stories from working in the office (most patients didn't know we were related, especially since we were geared up with masks and all). While I will be getting a volunteer clinical experience in the upcoming year, I was wondering how I should frame my paid experience, working for my parent, as most of the clinical hours I will apply with will be coming from there.

Obviously, I will not be using an LOR from the clinic, but who should my contact person be? And can I still present my influential stories from this experience? Thank you!!
"The option to bum around and fake hours didn't exist either as my help was actually needed to keep the clinic functioning."

I would be real careful assuming that this is what everybody else volunteering in a clinic is doing. I'm not quite sure how you meant it, but I can assure you, it doesn't come across well.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'm planning to apply next cycle, and because of my family's situation and COVID, I worked several hundred hours for my parent in their clinic. Given the circumstances, the environment was more intense/demanding than other positions I've worked, especially due to the COVID precautions. The option to "bum around" and fake hours didn't exist either as my help was actually needed to keep the clinic functioning.

My experience has also strengthened my drive to become a physician for my own reasons, and I have had some good patient contacts/stories from working in the office (most patients didn't know we were related, especially since we were geared up with masks and all). While I will be getting a volunteer clinical experience in the upcoming year, I was wondering how I should frame my paid experience, working for my parent, as most of the clinical hours I will apply with will be coming from there.

Obviously, I will not be using an LOR from the clinic, but who should my contact person be? And can I still present my influential stories from this experience? Thank you!!
List it as clinical, employment, and use your employer or the office manager as contact info.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant there. I didn't mean for it to come across wrong -- what I meant was: I know that when children work for their parent, there's more leeway in terms of their performance. i.e. - you won't get fired for coming in super late/leaving whenever you want to and a parent is more forgiving if you mess up. What I meant was that given the circumstances, my parent did not give me that kind of leeway because staff was so direly needed.
I didn't mean for this to come across badly, of course, just wanted to clear the air since there may be stereotypes...
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Maybe I read it a bit too harshly as well. Like the other commenter said, just list the office manager or secretary as the contact. I don't think there's any real reason to disclose the physician you were working with was your parent unless directly asked.

Thanks! Appreciate it! Now reading it again, I totally understand how you read it -- so I'm glad we're on the same page. I'd never want to trash on other people's experiences, especially when they're volunteering their time.

Thanks! In this case, you're suggesting not to use any relatives as the contact person? Also, would it be fine to include patient stories in my PS, for example? And lastly, should I mention outright -- "This was my parent's practice?"
You don't need to hide their names, don't know why this point is worrying you so much.
Use their name if they were your employer

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, sorry -- was just looking for clarification. I understand your point on the contact info, but was worried that it might reflect badly if I don't mention somewhere in my PS or W/A section that "this was my parent's clinic," which would function as a disclaimer. That's really what I'm gearing toward: do I provide this disclaimer, or is it irrelevant?
IMO- irrelevant. The clinical experience is the important part, not who owns the practice. Plenty of pre-meds use their connections to get LoRs, shadowing, volunteering, etc. It's just part of the game. As long as you actually did the hours, who cares.