Renal application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So far interviews from
MUSC
Univ Virginia
Wake Forest
UAB
Any info on any of these
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Invites from
UAB
Mt Sinai
MUSC
Tulane
Uni of South Florida
Bay state
Wayne state
Henry ford
UMDNJ -camden
Jefferson Medical center/Christian care- starting this year
U Texas San Antonio
Texax A&M Medical center - temple
Medical college of Georgia

Planning to attend 7 because of scheduling problems and budjet restrictions
can any body suggest the good programs.
I am also wondering if they are too good then the competition will be tough and hard to get in especially Mt Sinai --all their past fellows are from Mt Sinai or from Yale,Harvard,Duke.I am not one of them and my chances are not high.

Any suggestions please?

Univ of texas, san antonio.
Any idea about this program?

So far only 2 for me.
Congrats to all other people who got many interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection from Georgetown today.

My invites so far: Maine, Boston U, Brown, UMDNJ/Robert Wood Johnson

I hope it starts to pick up soon as far as replies, its over a week into January already...

Invitation from Georgetown today. Is this a good program for nephrology? thx.

Rejection from Georgetown
Is any body attending the interview soon

Hi Plexus,

My first interview will be coming soon. End of Jan at U Mass. Congrats on all your interviews!

2 more rejections: UAB and Einstein/Jacobi.

So far:
Winthrop
UT San Antonio
UCLA Harbor County Med Ctr
Will it be all for me??????
NA

Univ Wisconsin
Mayo
Maine Med Ctr
But many programs have called people already so it means many rejections.
Why neph is so competitive if the last thing you make is money???
NA

Members don't see this ad :)
So far:
Winthrop
UT San Antonio
UCLA Harbor County Med Ctr
Will it be all for me??????
NA

Did u schedule the interview at UT San Antonio -its weird got an invite on 8th,selected a date & sent an email on 9th .Today co-ordinator says the interview dates filled up fast ,they have no more dates and reconsidering the application of those unscheduled people.Weird...............

Any idea about Texas A&M at Temple,Texas.

They have just one day for interview

Itseems they will decide by March 1 and going out of match

San Antonio: Schedule and got confirmation email; hopefully won't change their mind
Texas A&M Seems to be a great program in a thriving medical center. Inteviewed there last year. On 1 morning they interview like 24 people, they have 2 positions do not know if there are internal candidates.
Does anybody know something about UCLA Harbor??? I am so glad for that but should be very competitive as San Antonio will be.
NA

hi

got an interview from this place, any body has any info on this program ? How competetive is it? Do they take IMGs

interview thus far:

Wake Forest
MUSC
VCU
ECU

Good and bad news today. Rejections from: Vanderbilt and RUSH, but an invitation for Mount Sinai :thumbup:.

Did anyone get an interview from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center ?

Too bad....I had 3 interview calls one day...
....followed by 3 rejections the other day.

Received rejections from Vanderbilt, Mayo and RUSH yesterday.

Looks like RUSH is filling all 3 of its spots with internal candidates...and that's true (The PD mentions this fact straight in his e-mail).

Hope people are getting handful number of intervews out there.

God bless the beans!

Interviews from UAMS and Emory yesterday and today.

hey nephroblasts!
thus far have invites from
MGH/ Bringham
Mt Sinai
Yale
UCSF
BIDMC
NYU

No word from Cornell, UPenn, Columbia, or Hopkins, though I think I really am only interested in Columbia of the 3.

I have very good info on Mt Sinai for those interested. In brief, its a great program. People are very very happy there. Great hospital, great part of the city, great mentorship-- much stronger than most East Coast programs. Very good line service and ICU residents/ fellows place lines for ICU pts-- thus you spend more time reading/ seeing pts vs doing procedures all day. Brilliant faculty. If you are interested in HIV associated kidney disease or transplant, there is great research. Research in other fields, esp clinical research is a bit more limited vs places like MGH/ BWH. Another limitation is that you will not see as much interesting glomerular disease vs Columbia because Columbia tends to get more referals for this as they may be stronger in that field. Fellows go on to solid academic positions both at Sinai and beyond (vs some other programs were almost everyone stays on -- a plus or a minus depending on your long term goals). Overall, Sinai is an amazing oppurtunity I think.

Just got an interview at St. Louis University Medical Center. Looks like a strong program... anyone have info? Thanks. Hope everyone continues to have interviews coming in.

Just got an interview at St. Louis University Medical Center. Looks like a strong program... anyone have info? Thanks. Hope everyone continues to have interviews coming in.

Congrats,SLU seems to be a good program.Fellows are happy n clinically strong.Other than that I have no idea.

Any info on any othe below? Only one I have been to is UVA which seems like a great program and in a great city.
Invites
-University Arkansas
-University Texas at Houston
-MUSC
-University of Virginia
-University of Tennessee
-Emory
-SLU
-University of Alabama Birmingham
-Wake Forest
Rejections
-RUSH
-Duke

Congrats on everyone's interviews! I still only have 4 invites so far with nothing new in the past 2 weeks. Do you guys think most of the invites are already out or there is still some hope for getting a few calls, I'm starting to get a little nervous...

Let's pray for us all!

hi cstyle,
I think there is still a good chance of interviews in the coming weeks. A lot of institutions are giving out "second round" interviews. For example, I got invited to UMass in Dec..... but just 2 days ago, my friend also got a UMass interview. Also, most people got their Mt Sinai interview weeks ago... but I got got mine this week. There are also think there are a lot of programs that still haven't send out invitations.... we can just continue to pray and keep checking out email account.....

Hi Guys,

It appears many people got decent number of interviews. I am stuck with 2 interviews. I went through the last year forum thread. It appears that only one more week left for IVs. Hope everyone will get some interview calls next week. :xf:

Good luck!:thumbup:

I too haven't heard much from most of the places I applied...

Invites :D

University Hospitals - Cleveland/Case Medical School
West Virginia University

Rejects :thumbdown:

Henry Ford

I think the whole process is so freakin random!!! :smuggrin:

Hi frens,

Iam a new member ,I am really happy to see our fraternity here, forums for fellowship discussion are really rare, its like oasis in the dessert...anyways i was just wondering what kinda ques should we ask the fellows/program directors during our interviews

Any info on any othe below? Only one I have been to is UVA which seems like a great program and in a great city.
Invites
-University Arkansas
-University Texas at Houston
-MUSC
-University of Virginia
-University of Tennessee
-Emory
-SLU
-University of Alabama Birmingham
-Wake Forest
Rejections
-RUSH
-Duke
Hi Linus,
You seem to be doing really well. Congrats for the interviews. How was your experience at UVA? How was the interview day and what did you think about the faculty and current fellows? I am interviewing there in late Feb. Thanks.

hey atlas

I have interview at west virgnia too in mid feb, any idea abou the program , how competetive it is

thx

Has anyone heard from any of the Florida programs aside from USF?

I hope we all get some good news (aka more invites) this week!

Hi Cstyle,
Kinda weird..... I'm still waiting on Florida programs also. I don't think UofF has sent anything out yet right?

hey guys,
so i just got an interview for the last Friday in May. Definitely surprised at how late interview season will run (but that leaves hope for folks holding out for additional interviews, etc :) So, when do we need to finalize our rank lists? Isn't the match in mid-June? Thus, there must be a shorter time lag between rank list and match day for fellowships than there was for residency, yes?

hey atlas

I have interview at west virgnia too in mid feb, any idea abou the program , how competetive it is

thx

Nope. I have no idea. According to FREIDA, they interviewed something like 8 people last year for two spots. Not too shabby! Good luck.

Any idea about U of Maryland?

DId any body interview at Wayne State ,Detroit?

Any idea about U of Maryland?

DId any body interview at Wayne State ,Detroit?
Dear friends,

I dont mean to offend anyone who is genuinely interested in Nephrology.

But with the current Medicare system being broke and running out of funds each day .What do you think future holds for Nephrology in particular as far as salaries are concerned?

Nationally Nephrology salaries are declining every year.

BANKRUPT,

I don't mean to sound negative, but your post does not belong in this forum. Most of us here have already have thought about the pros and cons of pursuing nephrology and have decided to go after it. Reimbursements are down across the board for most specialties, that is nothing new. The majority of people here are comfortable with the future prospects of the field as evidenced by our desire for fellowship.

On a more positive note, UMaryland invite for me! Hope others are getting good news out there!

Dear all.
I have been interested on this subject for a while (have an MBA and lots of renal experience) and I think is worth to share my ideas just once even if it belongs to another forum.
I was on the ASN in Nov and heard Dr Himmelfarb from Seattle talking about relationship among medicare and renal medicine.
Basically:
*Most people are doing dialysis for a loss as costs are way up above inflation while reimbursement is flat when adjusted for it.
*They used to make money with EPO and injections , but after medicare went after that, guess .....not anymore.
*Practice is highly regulated with a lot of government intervention and costs are expected to be contained regardless of. This will affect MDs as salaries are always for discussion specially with this leftist administration.
*With new regulations the dialysis directorship job is going to be more time intensive and cheaper regarding the number of hours you will have to spend working on it.
I was checking old journals last week and in 1998 the starting salary for a nephrologist was around 300s , today you are lucky if you get 180s. Old times of owning your own dialysis unit and making big profits from it are all gone; now most people end up working for big chains under salary agreements.
The most frustating thing form an economic perspective is that hospitalists in private groups and PCPs are making the same amount of money or more with less training involved.
In short, if you go to nephrology go for it because you like it and you love it. If money is a motivation for you most likely you will be disappointed. Financial prospects for medicine are not good at all but for renal medicine might well be worse.
Why I am applying??? Because I LOVE Renal Medicine and look to make money in other fields different from it.
Just my 2 cents.
NA

I got three in one day!!

1.) St. Johns Detroit
2.) Ohio State
3.) Allegheny General

Add that to Case Western and WVU.

So...my current tally is:

10 applications
5 interviews :D
1 rejection :thumbdown:

Best of luck to everyone!