Renal application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey nephappl

I also have an interview from UCLA-Harbor. Dont know much about the program other than it is a rather smaller program. Will be interviewing in late Feb.
Did you also interview in nephro last year??

Members don't see this ad.

Did apply last year,had several IVs at some top places but no match at all.
Hopefully will be better this year.
NA

Does University of Tennesse has a strong nephrology program?
Is the program frinedly, I noticed some programs have brutal call schedules and patient loads.
How is the city of Memphis?
I really would like to thank for anybody who gives me informaton.

Members don't see this ad :)
got columbia interview offer last night. pretty unenthusiastic email for a 1/2 day interview day. can't tell if they are just doing some token interviews even though they may fill with insider candidates, or if that's just their style. i guess a 1/2 day interview beats the 2 day interview that i just had :)

only places i haven't heard from are hopkins and upenn. anyone out there already get interviews from these places? not stressing it, just curious....

good luck everyone

Hi any one have an idea abt Thomas jefferson, philli, have a interview there next week.
what to expect?

Last week was silent. No new IVs but 1 rejection. Still with 2 IVs only. Do you think still I should wait for interviews? Did any one call the programs? It appears most of the programs already called for IVs. Depressing:mad:. Why nephrology is so competitive?:mad: Good Luck to all those people who already started attending interviews.

Last week was silent. No new IVs but 1 rejection. Still with 2 IVs only. Do you think still I should wait for interviews? Did any one call the programs? It appears most of the programs already called for IVs. Depressing:mad:. Why nephrology is so competitive?:mad: Good Luck to all those people who already started attending interviews.
Depending on how many programs you applied to, you should keep hope till at least the 15th of Feb. Good luck. I also have only 2 IVs so far. Hope is alive.

Thank you GIblues. Hope all of us will get more interviews and successful in the match. Good Luck!:thumbup:

Last week got calls from
Univ South Florida
Univ Chicago
For me 6 so far.
GL all
NA

Dear Nephappl,

Congrats for your IVs and GL:thumbup:. Appreciate if you could let us know your credentials. Thanks.

Hey guys, I agree with GIblues, we should all keep optimistic until mid-Feb. My home program isn't even reviewing applications until 1st week of Feb so I think we still have a lot of pending invites/rejections out there. Let's all hope for good news and keep it positive (I know I sound like a broken record!). Good luck guys! Should we start a little side discussion on how the interviews have been eg. questions we were asked, faculty impressions, etc? I think now that we are starting to get into interview season it might be good to generate this type of discussion.

Q's I got so far at interviews:
1. Why nephrology?
2. Tell me about yourself.
3. What do you plan on doing after fellowship?
4. Tell me about an interesting case.
5. Tell me about your home nephrology program or elective.
6. What appeals to you most in nephrology?
7. How do you approach patient care?
8. Do you have any questions for me? (this is where I often have trouble, what kind of questions do you guys ask the faculty?)
9. Why this city/geographic area?
10. Tell me about your research.
11. You mentioned "anything here" in your personal statement, tell me more about that. (know your CV and personal statement inside out!)
12. What do you like to do for fun/hobbies?

Hey guys, I agree with GIblues, we should all keep optimistic until mid-Feb. My home program isn't even reviewing applications until 1st week of Feb so I think we still have a lot of pending invites/rejections out there. Let's all hope for good news and keep it positive (I know I sound like a broken record!). Good luck guys! Should we start a little side discussion on how the interviews have been eg. questions we were asked, faculty impressions, etc? I think now that we are starting to get into interview season it might be good to generate this type of discussion.

Q's I got so far at interviews:
1. Why nephrology?
2. Tell me about yourself.
3. What do you plan on doing after fellowship?
4. Tell me about an interesting case.
5. Tell me about your home nephrology program or elective.
6. What appeals to you most in nephrology?
7. How do you approach patient care?
8. Do you have any questions for me? (this is where I often have trouble, what kind of questions do you guys ask the faculty?)
9. Why this city/geographic area?
10. Tell me about your research.
11. You mentioned "anything here" in your personal statement, tell me more about that. (know your CV and personal statement inside out!)
12. What do you like to do for fun/hobbies?

cstyle, don't forget the big question, " how much you are interested in research and how much clinical?"
One program director wanted me to break it down for him, like 60/40 %.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea abt Stony brook at Long Island?
I have scheduling problems,if its good I will cancel other IVs then

Thanks

Rejections from UArkansas and Albert Einstein/Montefiore today...oh well.

Rejection from Albert Einstein

Invite from U Arkansas and Stony Brook.Which is better of the 2 ?
Can attend only one of the 2.
Is Stony Brook competitive?

Thanks

In addition to cstyle Q
What are your Strengths and weaknesses?
Hate both of them equally.ofcourse I have weaknesses ,if I tell them all will they take me . Hell no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got columbia interview offer last night. pretty unenthusiastic email for a 1/2 day interview day. can't tell if they are just doing some token interviews even though they may fill with insider candidates, or if that's just their style. i guess a 1/2 day interview beats the 2 day interview that i just had :)

only places i haven't heard from are hopkins and upenn. anyone out there already get interviews from these places? not stressing it, just curious....

good luck everyone

Hey Midnite. UPenn and Hopkins have already sent out interviews. Don't know if they are sending another round or not. Congrats on Columbia- I'm also trying to schedule that one. I haven't heard from Cornell yet.

So far invites from:
Stanford
UCSF
Wash U
Northwestern
U Chicago
Upenn
Hopkins
Duke
MGH/Brigham
BIDMC
Mt Sinai
Tufts
UPMC (Pitt)

Only waiting to hear from Cornell..... anyone hear from them???

Rejection
Abert Einstein in Philly
IVs
Univ Rochester Med Ctr

Hey Midnite. UPenn and Hopkins have already sent out interviews. Don't know if they are sending another round or not. Congrats on Columbia- I'm also trying to schedule that one. I haven't heard from Cornell yet.

So far invites from:
Stanford
UCSF
Wash U
Northwestern
U Chicago
Upenn
Hopkins
Duke
MGH/Brigham
BIDMC
Mt Sinai
Tufts
UPMC (Pitt)

Only waiting to hear from Cornell..... anyone hear from them???

Podocyte, congrats on getting so many great interviews. We applied to many of the same programs!

Invites to: UCSF, Stanford, MGH/BWH, BIDMC, Yale, Mt Sinai, Columbia, Montefiore, NYU,

No word from Hopkins, Penn, or Cornell.

So which ones will you attend? You can't possibly go to all those places? I'm actually somewhat differentiated in terms of what research I want to do, etc, and have family considerations, etc so I ended up canceling some interviews (UCSF, Stanford). Will likely do the same if I ever hear back from Hopkins (though feeling doubtful at this time). narrowing down to certain programs in NYC/ Boston/ maybe New Haven/ Phili (though no Penn yet!).

As far as I know, no one (n = 3) has heard from Cornell yet.

Has anybody heard back from the following places? Just trying to get a sense of if we still have a decent shot out there or the interview offers are winding down..

UArizona, Cedars-Sinai, UCLA-San Fernando Valley, UCSD, Washington Hosp Ctr, Cleveland Clinic Florida, UMiami/Jackson Memorial Hosp, UFlorida/Jacksonville, UFlorida/Gainesville, UIllinois/Chicago, UKansas, LSU/NO, LSU/Shreveport, Tulane, UMinnesota, UMissouri, UMississippi, UNC/CH, Newark Beth Israel Med Ctr, UMDNJ-RWJ/New Brunswick, AECOM-LIJ, Lenox Hill Hosp, NYH-Queens, Westchester Med Ctr, North Shore Univ Hosp, SUNY-Brooklyn, SUNY-Syracuse, UCincinnati, UToledo, Drexel, Geisenger Health Sys, Penn State/Hershey, Temple, Jefferson, UT-Southwestern, UT-Houston, UVermont, MCW

Places I have heard from:
:thumbup:: Maine, BU, Brown, UMDNJ/RWJ-Camden, Kaiser Permanente, Harbor-UCLA, UMaryland
:thumbdown: Georgetown, Einstein/Jacobi, Einstein/Montefiore, UAB, UAMS

Places I know sent out invites but have yet to hear a rejection from:
USC, GW, Jefferson/Christiana Care, USF, Emory, MCG, Mass Gen, UMass, SLU, NYU, Winthrop, CWRU, Cleveland Clinic, Allegheny, MUSC, UVA (I guess I can assume all these are rejections?)

Hang in there everyone! Good luck on interviews!

Has anybody heard back from the following places? Just trying to get a sense of if we still have a decent shot out there or the interview offers are winding down..

UArizona, Cedars-Sinai, UCLA-San Fernando Valley, UCSD, Washington Hosp Ctr, Cleveland Clinic Florida, UMiami/Jackson Memorial Hosp, UFlorida/Jacksonville, UFlorida/Gainesville, UIllinois/Chicago, UKansas, LSU/NO, LSU/Shreveport, Tulane, UMinnesota, UMissouri, UMississippi, UNC/CH, Newark Beth Israel Med Ctr, UMDNJ-RWJ/New Brunswick, AECOM-LIJ, Lenox Hill Hosp, NYH-Queens, Westchester Med Ctr, North Shore Univ Hosp, SUNY-Brooklyn, SUNY-Syracuse, UCincinnati, UToledo, Drexel, Geisenger Health Sys, Penn State/Hershey, Temple, Jefferson, UT-Southwestern, UT-Houston, UVermont, MCW

:thumbup:: Maine, BU, Brown, UMDNJ/RWJ-Camden, Kaiser Permanente, Harbor-UCLA, UMaryland

USC, GW, Jefferson/Christiana Care, USF, Emory, MCG, Mass Gen, UMass, SLU, NYU, Winthrop, CWRU, Cleveland Clinic, Allegheny, MUSC, UVA (I guess I can assume all these are rejections?)

i have a friend who has interview schd w/ u vermont. don't know about the rest. best of luck!

Invites from MCW,SUNY syracuse,Tulane.A friend of mine has an interview from UTSW.Havent heard from rest

Have calls from Jefferson, LIJ and westchester

Hi guys, Just joined the forum- did anyone interview at Baystate. how was the place. Any interview tips/questions will be appreciated.

:thumbup: Loma Linda University Email today
GL everyone
NA

I wish if any of the IMGs who are interviewing this year can help us for next year by having the programs divided into 2 categories:
1- Likely will take IMGs
2- Unlikely to take IMGs

Thanks and good luck all.

Dear friend,
People are busy now prepping for IVs , making calls adn the match.
I would be more proactive and would look the programs websites and see who the current fellows are and where are they coming from, doing some research about it might work.
GL
NA

It started in 2006,fairly a new program in a small city but PD is very enthusiastic.3 faculty members will interview.

Hi guys, Just joined the forum- did anyone interview at Baystate. how was the place. Any interview tips/questions will be appreciated.

Hi guys, It appears that all are busy with their IVs. Got invite from LIJ/NY last week. So far only 3 IVs for me. Rejections from case western, Univ of Kansas last week. Appears that my chances for match are less. Did any programs offered prematch for any one? Is there any hope to expect more IVs at this time?

Good Luck to all of us.:thumbup:

So far IVs from:
- Duke
- Mayo
- Northwestern
- SLU
- WSU
- Mt Sinai NY
- Indiana Univ
- Univ of Michigan

Only place I have gone so far is Duke. Extremely nice people! Interview was very relax, I meet with 5 faculty (including PD and chief). Most of the questions were straight fwd: *tell me about yourself (three of them asked me that); *Where do you see yourself in 10y/future; *what do you want to do when you are done; *Why this hospital/city?; *How is the nephrology rotation/curriculum in your program; *how's the ESRD population, *outopatient experience; *what particular area you like about the field; *What type of research...

Any of you know how many candidates does Duke and most of the places interview? 20-30?

I think we might still hear from the programs up until next week and even later. About this time, people start making cancellations. Anyway, good luck everybody.

I wish if any of the IMGs who are interviewing this year can help us for next year by having the programs divided into 2 categories:
1- Likely will take IMGs
2- Unlikely to take IMGs

Thanks and good luck all.

Certainly:

1: Likely to take IMGs: 0%
2: Unlikely to take IMGs: 100%

(well... at least it seems that way sometimes)

Hi

I am interviewing at these places in next week, any info about this places will be greatly apprecited

West Virginia University
UC davis

thanks

Any new invites/rejects anyone? Nothing new either way for me.

2nd rejection from U of Nebraska
They want to make sure I do understand what a rejection means.
NA

Anyone hear from UMiami?

As per phone calls, MCG, Cleveland Clinic FL, UVA are done sending out invites.

To those who have been invited by the CCF, Cleveland, Ohio. I got an invitation 2 weeks ago. I sent out the possible dates. It has not yet been confirmed. Anybody else had similar experience? I tried calling the coordinator and left a message. Hopefully, this should work. I have not been able to make travel arrangements for this.
Others may have had better luck, I hope.

I know this is a much debated topic, but what do you guys consider a safe number of interviews to ensure a match? I know the interview can make or break the process, but in general from what I noticed those with 8+ interviews last year typically matched. What do you guys think?

Any more news on the invite/reject front? I called quite a few places and the majority of places are done sending out invites, only a few places were still reviewing applications...

got another one from UPMC. :thumbup:

After many days surprisingly got an IV from LSU. Appreciate if some one could give an input about LSU-New Orleans program.

Thanks.

Nephrology forum is surprisingly quiet. Used to be very active. But no single post for the past 15 days.

I interviewed at 3 places. Still left with one interview. All are very competitive and interviewing atleast 15-25 candidates per spot. Hope everything goes well and everyone will match at their top choices.

I wish the forum will become active again as the match date approaches. Appreciate if someone would give input about LSU. Good Luck everyone.

Does anybody have info abnout this program?
They have not downloaded my application yet.
Regards
NA

SUNY-Downstate hasn't downloaded mine yet either.

Since this thread seems to be in a lull, maybe we should follow suit from the other subspecialty forums and comment on our interview impressions since we're right in the midst of it. As always, it'll help all of us make an informed decision :). Anyone care to start it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.