Renal failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cknight

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the value of FENa for acute-on-chronic renal failure? Can that whole <1% for prerenal failure idea be relied upon when there is already pre-existing CRF?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the value of FENa for acute-on-chronic renal failure? Can that whole <1% for prerenal failure idea be relied upon when there is already pre-existing CRF?

This is not an easy question to answer. A large group of intensivists, nephrologists, and critical care nephrologists have been trying to address this and many more renal-based questions in critical care. Their group is called ADQI (Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative). The ADQI II meeting addressed your question. I'll post the links.

http://ccforum.com/content/8/4/R204

http://www.ccm.upmc.edu/adqi/ADQI2/ADQI2g1.pdf

Hope this helps.

kg

you're the man, kg! thanks a lot for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
I read through the texts on the links, there is actually no mentioning at all about FENa; all they say is that in the case of acute-on-chronic renal failure, you need to have some criteria to diagnose what is ARF, and they propose an increase in creatinine of at least 0.5 to a value over 4, in cases when baseline creatinine is abnormal.

I read through the texts on the links, there is actually no mentioning at all about FENa; all they say is that in the case of acute-on-chronic renal failure, you need to have some criteria to diagnose what is ARF, and they propose an increase in creatinine of at least 0.5 to a value over 4, in cases when baseline creatinine is abnormal.

Most nephrologists I've spoken to, and papers I've come across, place a very limited value on FENa. It is more of an historical calculation. If you do a pubmed search, I'm sure you'll also come across some of these same articles.