Rent a Place now or Wait till housing day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiaPet312

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...

i found a pretty good place, subletting a room in a house for 595/mo (all utilities, parking, cable included). only problem is that the the 4 other people in the apartment are all non-med students.

so, i was wondering if i should take this place or wait till JUNE/JULY when my school will have its housing day. is it a bad idea to really wait that long, since my classes will start august 1st? how're you guys going about finding housing and when are you moving in?

Members don't see this ad.

595 for a room in a house seems awful high...unless you live in an area that demands high rent like ny, cali etc...

hmm tho housing day that late does seem kinda late for the school esp if school starts a month or two after housing day.

have you went on to the say the personal websites for the 3rd and 4th years? or any year for that matter. each class should have their own website and you can search on their message boards and look for better housing options there or ask when a good time is to look for housing in your particular area.

or just tell us the school so the med students there that visit sdn can also offer you help as well.

what school is this for? maybe that would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
the school is robert wood johnson.

i was thinking the rent was sort of high too, but i thought it was balanced out by the fact that my landlady would be including cable and off-street parking (a blessing b/c i cannot parallel park for the life of me). she's also offered me a job to tutor her son in math. i'll have access to the kitchen and living room and i'll have my own bath.

i checked out the rwj website but they haven't updated housing info yet. they've got a link for a bunch of apartments and houses that were available in 2003. there's a ton of contact info there. but yeah..sounds good..i think i'm gonna call the school and ask them to place my name on a housing list.

maybe i should just go out and by an RV and live in a parking lot or sumthin? :idea:

I would definitely think twice about living with non-meds. You'll have a completely different lifestyle than them and it could cause conflicts and or problems. I'd wait, especially considering the rent is a little high for the area (I think).

:laugh: well RVs are the new thing these days...a pimped out RV sure beats a lot of the apts most students have to live in.

ahh math tutoring...$$ without leaving the comforts of home. :)

you get the email of any med students at RWJ? Do they have a revisit weekend?

Yeah, maybe you should check out some of the housing listed on RWJ's websites. Give it a little while and see what else you find. Exmike is right about how it may be difficult living with non-meds, but at the same time it might be nice to escape the med school world at home.

That really isn't that high for the area. You could probably get it a bit cheaper, but you are probably going to be paying in the 400-600 dollar range no matter where you look in the Piscataway/ New Brunswick area.

I will be moving there as well, but I haven't really started looking at housing yet. The Rutgers off campus housing site has a lot of apartments and rooms that rent to students as well. So you could check that out, some of the listings specifically ask for grad/professional students.

tiki,

are you going to the luncheon this friday? i reserved for it, but donno if i can get off from work. i was told they wouldn't have any housing information at the luncheon, just a lil' get together to meet your future classmates.

i've been checking the rutgers off campus housing site on and off. crossing my fingers and hoping i'll find a better deal than what i have in my hands now.

No I can't go. I have classes all day on Fridays. Stupid Botany lab. :(

Anyone headed to RWJ in the fall:
you should check out Rutgers' off-campus housing site:
http://ruoffcampus.rutgers.edu/
I'm going to be a 2nd year at Robert Wood and I have the available room in my apt posted there (under "single rooms"). There a lot of nice options there. Everyone who waited until the housing days last year found something so I wouldn't worry too much. good luck!