Rep Access Limits a Double Edged Sword?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sales representatives have been the main channel for transmitting marketing information through “detailing” to physicians for the past 50*years,1 accounting for 60% of all sales and marketing expenditures

This quote says it all. I would say this has been one of the biggest problems with healthcare in the United States in the last 50 years. The fact physicians get thier information from nonmedicaly trained one step away from a used car salesman drug reps. Kind of like writing your Masters thesis based solely off Wikipedia references. Kill off direct to consumer advertising and maybe we will start to see some positive changes.

This quote says it all. I would say this has been one of the biggest problems with healthcare in the United States in the last 50 years. The fact physicians get thier information from nonmedicaly trained one step away from a used car salesman drug reps. Kind of like writing your Masters thesis based solely off Wikipedia references. Kill off direct to consumer advertising and maybe we will start to see some positive changes.

:thumbup:

It's laughable to even suggest that medical professionals need drug reps to keep them educated on the literature or advances in therapy. Sure, they can tell you stuff, but it's biased. They are SALESPEOPLE.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed. The only thing this article does is highlight the need to find a good way to disseminate medical information to a wide variety of practitioners without overwhelming them. The rosilitazone warnings and ezetimibe failures weren't exactly tightly-guarded secrets...I remember reading major NY Times articles about them.

The fact that drug rep detailing had any impact, let alone a major impact, on the awarensess of these practice-altering studies, is frankly depressing.

Agreed. The only thing this article does is highlight the need to find a good way to disseminate medical information to a wide variety of practitioners without overwhelming them. The rosilitazone warnings and ezetimibe failures weren't exactly tightly-guarded secrets...I remember reading major NY Times articles about them.

The fact that drug rep detailing had any impact, let alone a major impact, on the awarensess of these practice-altering studies, is frankly depressing.

We have a good means to to disseminate information........its called talk to your pharmacist. If we were used 1/10th as much as we could be I believe we would all be better off. Instead we are bit players in the larger show. How this is possible when 99% of all doctors visits end with at least one prescription being written I will never know.

OP is a Fu*kin drug rep or married to a drug company. Get real like highly educated healthcare professionals really need a rep for completely biased education????

A pharmacist that I work with was a drug rep for years. Back when they weren't just a person who gave you lunch and read you the package insert. Unfortunately you're not even allowed to have a real discussion about the product since it could get into "off label promotion" and get them in major trouble. Maybe if it were actually pharmacists doing the drug repping it might be more legitimate, as the person pitching the drug actually had a clue about it.

At my ippe (independent pharmacy), a drug rep came in to talk about onglyza and I started asking questions about study design. These people truly don't know that much about the drug they are promoting. Another time at the hospital, a drug rep came in. she was tall, thin, busty, and positively gorgeous. I literally couldn't fully concentrate on what she was saying because her crystal blue eyes pierced right through me. I was just watching her lips move and nodding at what she was saying. And, she stood close to me so I could smell her chanel mademoiselle perfume and karma soap from Lush. (I'm a "super smeller", though. Really.).

At my ippe (independent pharmacy), a drug rep came in to talk about onglyza and I started asking questions about study design. These people truly don't know that much about the drug they are promoting. Another time at the hospital, a drug rep came in. she was tall, thin, busty, and positively gorgeous. I literally couldn't fully concentrate on what she was saying because her crystal blue eyes pierced right through me. I was just watching her lips move and nodding at what she was saying. And, she stood close to me so I could smell her chanel mademoiselle perfume and karma soap from Lush. (I'm a "super smeller", though. Really.).

Well lea, if this whole pharmacy business doesn't work out for you, at least you obviously could find a job writing trash novels :laugh: :thumbup:

I ran into a cubist rep at an ID talk once. He stopped me to introduce himself and ask me about myself. As soon as the words student left my mouth, he smiled and walked away. Its very obvious they have good intentions and are there to educate :rolleyes:

Well lea, if this whole pharmacy business doesn't work out for you, at least you obviously could find a job writing trash novels :laugh: :thumbup:

Haha! Hmmmm.... That's a good idea, actually. I used to write short stories in my past life (before pursuing pharmacy). Maybe I can integrate the two somehow. I think a short story about a drug rep would be a good start. I could title it "Tryst with a drug pusher" :smuggrin: