Repeat a O-Chem in CC or Univ?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApplicantPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C in O-Chem1 at a Univ..I am planning to repeat the class..could you guys help me decide if i should take it at a community coll or univ?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a C in O-Chem1 at a Univ..I am planning to repeat the class..could you guys help me decide if i should take it at a community coll or univ?

Neither will be easy, just make sure that the courses are equivalent (i.e. you don't want to take a quarter of OChem trying to replace a semester of OChem.) I only bring that up because my CC units are all semesters, but Cal State is on qtr system.

Go to where you feel you will learn and retain the most information. That will be the true measure of the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you repeating it? I heard if you repeat something that you got a C or better in makes it look worse because you are wasting your time when you can show gradual improvement by taking courses such as O-Chem II if you haven't taken it already.

I was going to take some classes I got C's in over too but I researched and that's what most colleges told me. However, I would highly advise you to speak with the admissions counselors / advisors on this matter before taking the class.

i have already taken O-Chem 2 and got an A (At a community college). I am thinking of taking O-chem 1 again ( just the lecture coz i got A- in the lab). I am confused if I should take O-chem 1 again...and if yes where shld i take it? at CC or Univ? also i am planning to apply to U of A..thts the reason i have to repeat it as they require B or higher in O-Chems.

i think u have a better chance at making an A at CC, since u did w/ O-Chem 2. But either place u choose, make sure to study ur butt off.

i think u have a better chance at making an A at CC, since u did w/ O-Chem 2. But either place u choose, make sure to study ur butt off.

Thanks :) Thts wht i was thinkin...i know ive to study real hard...

i have already taken O-Chem 2 and got an A (At a community college). I am thinking of taking O-chem 1 again ( just the lecture coz i got A- in the lab). I am confused if I should take O-chem 1 again...and if yes where shld i take it? at CC or Univ? also i am planning to apply to U of A..thts the reason i have to repeat it as they require B or higher in O-Chems.
really? they require a B or better? thats insane :confused:

good luck though.

Depends on the school.

I took O-chem at a CC, but all the test where fill in the blank/synthesis problems. I got an A, but it was a lot of work :D. Then when I got to ETSU I had calculas with someone in o-chem there. Their test where all multiple choice, and an 83 was an A-. AN 83?? lol I had to get a 90+ to get my A

Im in O-chem right now I have a 91 avg so im a little antzy. however, did anyone else have like a huge amount of anxiety about their grades in O-chem. I think I have a problem but Im afraid to do anything about it because i might not do as well in my classes. If I dont get an A on a test or h-work assignment i slip into a slight depression and ill get the feeling that im going to live in a trailer.

wow MR.C that sounds a lot like my CC o-chem class. was your CC in tennessee?

Im in O-chem right now I have a 91 avg so im a little antzy. however, did anyone else have like a huge amount of anxiety about their grades in O-chem. I think I have a problem but Im afraid to do anything about it because i might not do as well in my classes. If I dont get an A on a test or h-work assignment i slip into a slight depression and ill get the feeling that im going to live in a trailer.

I know the feeling!!! :laugh: I'm done with O Chem, but when I was in it, I was obsessed. I was obsessed with grades, homework, everything. I got a 64 ( a C) on a test one time and I thought the world was coming to an end. :laugh:

Retake it wherever you think you will have a better chance at an A, CC is cheaper too, so that is always a plus. If you retake it make sure you get an A, taking it again and getting another C or even a B doesn't look that great. Good luck and study your ass off!

I spoke to Kerry Cline one of the prepharmacy advisors at the U of A about this. She told me that applicants that take the science prerequisite courses (other than physics) at a university and recieve a good grade look more desirable then someone who took these courses at a community college. She especially seemed to talk very strongly about taking OCHEM at a university. Kerry told me the reason why applicants are being required to recieve a B in OCHEM is because of some study that was done on pharmacy students. She said that the study clearly showed that the most successful pharmacy students were the ones who recieved high marks in OCHEM. So I would say if you really want to go to the U of A, take the class at a university. I took OCHEM at the U of A and worked my *** off to get A's in the lecture. However, the U of A does accept a decent number of community college students so it is your call. OCHEM is probably quite a bit more challenging at a university, but I would recommend doing so.

I spoke to Kerry Cline one of the prepharmacy advisors at the U of A about this. She told me that applicants that take the science prerequisite courses (other than physics) at a university and recieve a good grade look more desirable then someone who took these courses at a community college. She especially seemed to talk very strongly about taking OCHEM at a university. Kerry told me the reason why applicants are being required to recieve a B in OCHEM is because of some study that was done on pharmacy students. She said that the study clearly showed that the most successful pharmacy students were the ones who recieved high marks in OCHEM. So I would say if you really want to go to the U of A, take the class at a university. I took OCHEM at the U of A and worked my *** off to get A's in the lecture. However, the U of A does accept a decent number of community college students so it is your call. OCHEM is probably quite a bit more challenging at a university, but I would recommend doing so.

I would say the same. I think it definitely looks bad to get a crappy grade at the U, then retake it a CC. They know just as well as you do that the CC classes just aren't comparable to university classes. I was tempted to retake o-chem at a CC, because I know I could EASILY ace it, but I decided that that would probably stand out like a sore thumb, considering everything else was from the university. They're right about U of A taking a lot of CC people/credits, but, as is clear by their B requirement for o-chem, that's they're favorite thing to look at, so the university is probably the better option. Good luck! (Wish me luck...since I did decide to retake at the university!:oops: )

Depends on the school.

I took O-chem at a CC, but all the test where fill in the blank/synthesis problems. I got an A, but it was a lot of work :D. Then when I got to ETSU I had calculas with someone in o-chem there. Their test where all multiple choice, and an 83 was an A-. AN 83?? lol I had to get a 90+ to get my A

Most people I know who've gone to CC and then transfered to a U tend to believe the CC courses were typically more difficult>. Of course the people who've only ever been at a U will say otherwise, but they simply don't have the experience to back it up.

My advice: take it at the U, if you have the option. Why? Because school like that.

Most people I know who've gone to CC and then transfered to a U tend to believe the CC courses were typically more difficult>. Of course the people who've only ever been at a U will say otherwise, but they simply don't have the experience to back it up.

My advice: take it at the U, if you have the option. Why? Because school like that.

The people I have known who came from CC all thought that the the university I attend now is easier. I think its the CC goal to get you ready for universities so sometimes they are hard.

edit- That said I'd take it at a university.