Repeat year, low Step WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sqeeks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help. I'm 3rd year student. I will be a USMG Very passionate about FM and want to match next year. I'm actually in a program where I'll be getting an MHA with my MD (dual program) and I want to practice rural medicine so rural programs are totally cool with me.
This is my issue. I had to repeat 2nd year. Had a kid get sick and a couple other things but I also just generally struggled. I did my best to come back and obviously passed the second time around but not with flying colors. I hoped to overcome this with my STEP but I had a hard time there as well. I did pass first time but with a 195.
I'm just getting into rotations and I finally feel like I am hitting what I shine at in medical school. I get along with everyone and I work hard, stay late ect. Not because I'm trying to compensate per se, but because I really love working with patients. I'm loving rotations. I don't know what my previous grade is but I received very positive feedback from the attending so I know at least that I passed, and I'm getting good reviews in my current rotation as well. Obviously I'm not taking anything for granted at this point but overall I think this is my niche. I also have good relationships with my deans and from what I can tell I am well-liked among the faculty (not trying to sound like a douche, just trying to give a complete picture).
So, with two pretty big red flags how do I approach applications? I am not picky and I'll go anywhere for residency, I gave up on being a chooser and I am realistic about my obstacles. I just want to be a physician. I want to be a good physician so I'd love to get the best program I can manage to get into, but if that is out of the cards then I'll take what I can and work overtime to be a competent physician.
So anyone have any suggestions? Either with going forward in the clinical years or with programs I should consider? Specifically does anyone know programs in the west that are forgiving of an imperfect transcript? I would really appreciate any help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Need help. I'm 3rd year student. I will be a USMG Very passionate about FM and want to match next year. I'm actually in a program where I'll be getting an MHA with my MD (dual program) and I want to practice rural medicine so rural programs are totally cool with me.
This is my issue. I had to repeat 2nd year. Had a kid get sick and a couple other things but I also just generally struggled. I did my best to come back and obviously passed the second time around but not with flying colors. I hoped to overcome this with my STEP but I had a hard time there as well. I did pass first time but with a 195.
I'm just getting into rotations and I finally feel like I am hitting what I shine at in medical school. I get along with everyone and I work hard, stay late ect. Not because I'm trying to compensate per se, but because I really love working with patients. I'm loving rotations. I don't know what my previous grade is but I received very positive feedback from the attending so I know at least that I passed, and I'm getting good reviews in my current rotation as well. Obviously I'm not taking anything for granted at this point but overall I think this is my niche. I also have good relationships with my deans and from what I can tell I am well-liked among the faculty (not trying to sound like a douche, just trying to give a complete picture).
So, with two pretty big red flags how do I approach applications? I am not picky and I'll go anywhere for residency, I gave up on being a chooser and I am realistic about my obstacles. I just want to be a physician. I want to be a good physician so I'd love to get the best program I can manage to get into, but if that is out of the cards then I'll take what I can and work overtime to be a competent physician.
So anyone have any suggestions? Either with going forward in the clinical years or with programs I should consider? Specifically does anyone know programs in the west that are forgiving of an imperfect transcript? I would really appreciate any help :)
If you are a pleasant, hard-working person, some FM programs will look past your blemish. This is when audition rotations will help. Work hard during your 3rd year, improve your step2, and do auditions at some of the programs you are interested in. Ask your school how many programs they recommend applying and cast your net wide. Also let them know how much you want to come to their program (if you like them) while you are there.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
If you are a pleasant, hard-working person, some FM programs will look past your blemish. This is when audition rotations will help. Work hard during your 3rd year, improve your step2, and do auditions at some of the programs you are interested in. Ask your school how many programs they recommend applying and cast your net wide. Also let them know how much you want to come to their program (if you like them) while you are there.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The US MD thing weighs heavy in your favor. The number one key is applying to enough programs to get enough interviews that you're likelihood of not matching at any of them approaches zero. With your background I'd probably shoot for submitting a rank list of at least 10-15 programs that you interviewed with. Just because you have classmates that I'm sure can get by with interviewing with 5 or so programs or fewer because they're going into Family Medicine doesn't mean that you can. You may need to apply to along the lines of a couple dozen programs or more to get that number of interviews. See how many interviews you're getting by late September and starting cranking out more applications right away by that time if your invites are not meeting your goal. Go on the interviews, and rank each of them unless you can honestly say you would rather risk not matching at all and being saddled with student loan debt without a job position to pay it off instead of spending just 3 years of your life living and working there. Don't count on finding better programs through SOAP or reapplying next year rather than just ranking a crummy program to begin with, it gets harder to find a good program the further you have to go to get a position, not easier. Apply to and be sure to interview with and rank programs across a wide variety of strength and geography. Be present and personable on the interviews, FM prioritizes personality more than many other specialties, and once you get to the interview often that can be more important than the numbers and the resume. As a US MD I had at least double the number of red flags as you when I was going through the process about 5 years ago. First time through applied to 20 programs and got 7 interviews, didn't match. Second time through applied to over 120 and got about 25 interviews, went on 23 I believe, matched with the #7 on my rank list. Do what it takes to secure your future regarding time and money to apply and interview, and your chances with that background will be great.

Reactions: 1 users
Family medicine cares a lot about your story. If you can explain what happened and what you've done to succeed and make sure that it improves and doesn't happen again or you have a plan in place if your child gets ill again then I think you'll match, if you interview well.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll take you at your word that rotations and direct patient care is where you shine and that your attendings can see this. So ask them where you should apply. Ask them also if they have any in-depth knowledge of the specific programs. That's not quite the same question as "Do you have any connections there?" but may get you the same answer, which is kind of what you want. It sounds like you're an applicant who will be much better in person than 'on paper' so having an attending who's worked with you put in a good word for you might go a long way.

Be sure to let them know that FM is your true passion, not something you are settling for due to your low STEP score, and that you are truly interested in, not just willing, to go rural. The quality of teaching, not prestige, is what you'll need to focus on.

I'd definitely agree with the advice to cast a wide net, and also to do audition rotations at places where you think you'd really like to end up. That can make all the difference, especially where 'on paper' is your weak spot.

Best of luck to you --

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone :) I really appreciate the time you took to give input.

You are USMG, that's very important. You'll match, no doubt. I know people who have matched in IM after having repeated a year in med school. Good luck to you.