Repeated Courses and AMCAS App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman77_7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that if I repeat a course, I have to put the original grade down on the AMCAS application. Do I need to check the repeat box for the first time I took it, both times I took it, or just the second time I took it?

Members don't see this ad.

I already did, and it's ambiguous to me.

"Repeat
Any course attempted more than once, unless the final grade initially received was Withdrawal or Incomplete.
• A course entry must be made for each completed attempt of a repeated course, even if any mention of enrollment in the course has been removed from the transcript.
• AMCAS includes all attempts of repeated courses in GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the school's GPA calculations.
• Do NOT select Repeat for courses designed to be repeated (e.g., Independent Study, Thesis, Chorus, etc). See Deferred Grade.
• If you do not list all of your attempts in a given course, AMCAS will initiate an investigation."

BrettBatchelor said:
look at the manual.

Members don't see this ad :)
[email protected]

My reading of the manual is that you should put it down for the second time only, but I'd email them and ask for a clarification.

ETA: Nope, I'm full of it. See the explanation downthread. :D

If you take Gen Chem I at one school, and then take it again many years later at another school, is this considered a repeat? The courses are from different schools with different course numbers.

If you repeated a class you should designate repeat even the first time. So it should be there twice. This was the mistake I made so I am pretty sure about this.

Reactions: 1 user
princessd3 said:
If you repeated a class you should designate repeat even the first time. So it should be there twice. This was the mistake I made so I am pretty sure about this.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question along these lines that is a little different, maybe somebody has experience?

I received AP credit that I then forfeited because I wanted to take the classes in college. Nevertheless the AP credits appear on the transcript, and the transcript says I received credit hours for it (ie there is a non-zero number next to the class), but when calculating my total hours these hours were not factored in. Thus my questions are:

Are these considered repeats?
In the credit hours box, do I put 0 or the credits next to the class?

If anybody knows let me know, otherwise I will e-mail amcas

Just wanted to reiterate my previous post:

If you take Gen Chem I at one school, and then take it again many years later at another school, is this considered a repeat? The courses are from different schools with different course numbers.

I've read through the instructions and can't find this issue addressed. Leaning towards not listing as repeat courses since one was undergrad and the other was post-bacc.

modelslashactor said:
I have a question along these lines that is a little different, maybe somebody has experience?

I received AP credit that I then forfeited because I wanted to take the classes in college. Nevertheless the AP credits appear on the transcript, and the transcript says I received credit hours for it (ie there is a non-zero number next to the class), but when calculating my total hours these hours were not factored in. Thus my questions are:

Are these considered repeats?
In the credit hours box, do I put 0 or the credits next to the class?

If anybody knows let me know, otherwise I will e-mail amcas

you need to just mimic what your transcript shows even though it doesn't factor into your schools overall credit number.

what happens if you take chemistry under the engineering dept as an undergrad... and then take chemistry under the chemistry dept during your postbac at a different school. is that considered a repeat?

So the first time you took it, you should check repeat and the second time you took it , you should check repeat too?

Last edited: