Repeating 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhaddi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does repeating 1st year mean elimination
of many residency choices? I had a lot
of trouble in Gross and Phys the 1st year.
I wasn't focused at all. Does any one have
suggestions for Gross? Help!! Thanks!! :eek: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

AS to your question about eliminating yourself from many residencies spots, it depends on several issues depending on what speciality you are applying, what program, test scores, grades, and recommendations. However, with repeating the first year, it doesn't help with the more competivie programs. Repeating 2 courses does not make you immune from the the program directors noting that you had to repeat the first year. I suggest that you do very well your second year, do well on your boards, and have great recommendations.

It's easier said than done, but yes, you generally should try to be an outstanding student in repeating the first-year (to some extent it's expected considering that you've technically seen this stuff a second time) and try to maintain a competitive standing over the next two years. Your boards will make up for a lot of stuff if you show a strong score, but in the end, residency directors will add more weight to your clinical grades.

Gross Anatomy is one of those courses that you just have to look at everyday and not let up until you know it backwards and forwards. It's PURE, rote memorization and it's almost impossible to figure things out. The way that I found which worked best for me in Gross (and I have a POOR memory, mind you) was to write things down on a sheet of paper over and over again. Everyday I'd spend somewhere between 2 and 3 hours just going over the Gross Anatomy, writing down all the structures I was to know, everything associated with them, and that sorta stuff. Before I knew it I had Gross down pretty pat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, yes, it does eliminate you from some programs, but not enough to make a difference unless you are trying to get into a competitive residency, especially at a highly prestigious institution.

If you are interested in those types of programs, you have to do some rehabilitation. If indeed you have turned over a new leaf, you need to show it and have a spotless record. Also, having honors in your clinical years (considered by many programs as being more important than your didactic years) does a lot!

Cheer up and good luck. All is not lost -- just do your best from now on.

Anna

Which school are you from? Not that I am ranking but if you are in Standford, the committees will look at you more leniently...that's what I was told at least.