Repeating a Secondary App Essay

Started by ptlover
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ptlover

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering what reapplicants thoughts were on reusing an essay that you used last year to answer the same questions for the school? I received an interview for this school last year and felt my answers were strong. I just do not know how I would change my answers, or how my view would have changed. Is it a bad idea to repeat the essays? Maybe include minor changes if I can?
 
I reused my essays but only because I'm very sure I was weeded out the first time applying based on my numbers. It's unlikely my essay was read. But in your case I would definitely re write it. I don't think it has to have different overall ideas per se, but I would take a different approach. Maybe start with a completely different intro. Use different examples from your past year. I think just put your last essay away and start a re write without looking at it.
 
I reused my essays but only because I'm very sure I was weeded out the first time applying based on my numbers. It's unlikely my essay was read. But in your case I would definitely re write it. I don't think it has to have different overall ideas per se, but I would take a different approach. Maybe start with a completely different intro. Use different examples from your past year. I think just put your last essay away and start a re write without looking at it.


I was told by the school only thing that had me wait listed was that I applied to late. I was told I was very competitive so I'm hesitant to rewrite my essays